Acoustic/Electronic OT Rig

My humble acoustic setup:

I’m looking forward to Sweetwater delivering a new dynamic mic and mixer, so I can pipe more live acoustic sounds into the OT. Plus a midi interface to control Waldorf Nave (the one synth I’d like to implement in my current music).

Anyone else like to use acoustic instruments with the OT?

8 Likes

No . But I would love to hear some of your music :wink: looks like an interesting setup !

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll definitely post some soon. I kind of figured that I’m a minority on this forum with regard to the acoustic stuff. Thought I’d give it a shot though. This simple rig will grow a bit, but the tanbur will prob always be my main sound source for the OT.

Can you please give the mic reference you use to reccord external acoustic souds

And yes I think you are a kind of minority species here. But it’s great not to be like others. Give us some sound experiences.

1 Like

I did a little project with the OT and a saxophone (I play the sax myself) and a little beatboxing. Was fun to do… Maybe I got it somewhere in my digital archive… I used a rode nt1a mic with a little yamaha mixer to provide phantom power. The combination with the plockable sequencer is big big fun!

I like to hear some of your music with this combination!

2 Likes

Yep, I’m getting an Blue Encore 200 and a Mackie 402VLZ4. I chose a dynamic mic (albeit an “active” one) because I’ll be performing with it, and a condenser has too much feedback liability on stage for me.

1 Like

Nice! YloopZ, was that your live setup or a config you used in the studio? I’m installing an internal piezo for the tanbur tomorrow and hopefully get a rough demo up on Soundcloud to share here.

Cool… I tried live setups with violin, Percussion and bass… Did it just in the Studio via pa, but worked very good…

I can Imagine small percussions for you too

Instead of a Mixer i Used the tc voiclive 2… The effects help to shape the sound and have it More compressed.

I can recommend sennheiser directional mics. They have a much better Sound and are Not so high in risk for feedback. Some of them you can Plug in directly to the Ot.

For recording i often use the throughmachines… One is enough and you can use a Basic effects setup and scenes live… Recording is than internal from the throughmachines into the other Tracks, so can use more effects.

(Sorry for the Bad Typing… iOS device :))

1 Like

The 402 is a great choice! Lovely tiny mixer.

1 Like

@ pulsefrequenz, sounds like a very cool combo. Yes, I’m definitely adding aux percussion items. Beating on the tanbur head and various parts also makes for nice percussive sounds. Thanks for the advice about mics. I’ve already ordered the Encore 200, but I’ll check out the Sennheiser’s for future reference.

Well, I spent most of Sunday, visiting with a friend and installing the internal piezo in the tanbur. I still have some tweaking to do with that, so no tracks to post yet … I’d definitely love to hear other people’s acoustic OT creations :sunglasses:

Looks interesting but i think feedback can become a nightmare especially in a live situation? probably depending on the volume levels of your music.

Yes, feedback is the curse of acoustic musicians attempting to adapt to rock/dance club volume levels. Fortunately, most of my gigs are at lower levels as suits the instrument and its subtleties. Depending on the venue, I can do quite fine (using my own personal monitors as opposed to the typical stage wedges). i.e. “nothing at all in the fallback”. But having a proper acoustic preamp helps too.

1 Like

Hi…i am a new user here.As per my experience Instead of a Mixer i Used the tc voiclive 2… The effects help to shape the sound and have it More compressed.I can recommend sennheiser directional mics. They have a much better Sound and are Not so high in risk for feedback. Some of them you can Plug in directly to the Ot.

smt assembly

1 Like

Yes, I like using my acoustic viola (w/ pickup) with it. Here’s an improvisation I recorded:

2 Likes

@ GovernorSilver: Cool, good to hear of other acoustic/OT players! Very moody piece, I like the experimental vibe.

@ CarlosJones: I’m not aware of any microphones which could be plugged directly into the OT without a boost of some sort. Which ones are you talking about specifically?