ACID8 - Twisted Electrons

I just ordered one of these. Anyone in North America have one and if so what power supply are you using? It doesn’t come with one and it is vague in the manual what size plug and if its center positive or not only Voltage and Amperage.

Re-Check the website ! Says AC or DC between 7 - 15 v cause they smartly put in a bridge rectifier to accept either type of current !

Its the same w my AY3 . I was puzzled at first, but a rectifier makes sure either voltage is DC. I just happened to have wall warts from other devices on hand.

I’ve been using 9v AC / DC adaptor, center positive, 500mA (0.5A) , from my Eventide pedals. It puts out 9v DC.

I defaulted to that 'cause most all of my desktop boxes (particularly Elektron , etc ) take DC , although voltages and amperages may vary . Elektron gear seems to take 2 -3 A (=2000 - 3000 miliAmperes ), dep on the device . Twisted’s little boxes shouldn’t need more than 1A max.

My AY3= Simpler device than ACID8 but fun to play live or even sample into my Octa.

Sometimes I get hooked on little black boxes.!

1 Like

Thanks that helps. I was wondering if it was centre positive. Acid 8 needs 1.2 A so I am thinking an adapter for volcas should work at 9v 1.7 amp. As long as the plug fits in there. I have to order one online so trying to nail it down.

I was literally just about to buy one of these because the price of €333 seemed so great. Had the Debit card out and everything

But the advertised price does not include VAT or postage (postage is added prior to VAT for some reason too). You only find this out once you add the item to the cart and enter your shipping and payment details

The website quoted me €77 euro for VAT and postage. Which means the real price is closer to €400

Have to say I was a bit disappointed. The price advertised on the site should really either include VAT or at least clearly indicate the VAT is excluded from the advertised price.

I know this is quite normal in The United States but I can’t even think of a time where I’ve come across this when ordering gear from within the EU (I’m in Ireland btw)

Correct me if I’m wrong but Twisted Electrons are a French Company no?
If they are outside the EU then I suppose you can disregard all of the above.

Anyways just thought I’d let ye know in case anyone was considering this. Not trying to deter anyone, still looks like a great instrument and I’ll be getting one as soon as I get the extra €77 together. But just felt this was worth mentioning

Im selling mine as i have 3 bassline synths now including Abstrakt Instruments Avalon. Yes its a french company. I got hammered on import taxes to Canada as well. If you want one cheap let me know I can look into shipping from canada. The synth is quite light so im sure it wouldnt be much. I have a Reverb.com account to do transactions if you are interested. Its a MKI with wood sides.

Hi thanks man

But I’ve since spoken to Alex at Twisted Electrons. He’s a really nice chap. Gave me a discount coupon. So I’m going to go with a MKII and give Alex the extra business.

Hey what can you tell me about the Avalon Bassline? I really want one next. Another thread mentioned something about sync/timing issues in the OS. Is this true ? I was advised to read through a big thread on GS but I hate that place.

Anyways thanks for the offer

beta testers of the new os say the sync is rock solid. I actually hadnt noticed the issue. Other than that Avalon is a beast. if you are thinking of getting avalon i wouldnt bother with acid8. In my opinion it is ridiculously overpriced and sounds thin.

1 Like

Really? That’s interesting to know. Like how thin ? Like shit ?

Also did you get your Avalon direct from the Abstrakt site? Did you have to pay a load of import duty on the machine

Thanks

For reference, here’s a track I made just with the Acid8 and Volca Sample on drums.

I put together the structure in my Octatrack, but sounds are all Acid8. It’s something, but thin isn’t the word I’d use.

Thanks for that. Thinking I might have to reconsider and hold off for the Avalon

I paid nothing in import avalon to Canada but it varies by region. By thin I find the filter to sound like a tin can. Its close but it just doesnt quit get to where i want it to go. I tried running it through distortion as well but results were spotty. Its a cool box but totally not worth the price. Mine is not even plugged in anymore. Its all personal preference and i have been into acid music since the mid 90’s so for me it just doesnt cut it. For that money i would go for a tt303. if you want the best acid synth available though its avalon by light years.

https://soundcloud.com/user-470275837/comes-from-everything
Thats a track noodling with Avalon.

thats got a little acid 8 in it a little bit. just one sound that i managed to squeeze out that i liked. its a video so you can see it in action sort of.

Thanks for that UkeeSoul. I think you’ve swayed me. Watched all the Avalon videos again. I need that thing in my life.

Hello everyone,

I have a question for the owners of Acid8.

Is it simply possible to make long notes with this one (internal sequencer)?

there are people who sequence acid8 in CV / GATE with A4?