Acid experiments with Analog Heat

Bought a Heat last week and after the initial few days of absolute destruction I wanted to see how it sounds on the stereo buss as an enhancer/mastering tool so I knocked a quick acid track together in half an hour and set the Heat on it.

Fuck me you really can polish a shit!

7 Likes

After some good advice I’ve spent a bit more time with the Heat and I’m really getting to grips with it using it on the stereo buss.

I’ll be throwing a few tracks up here over the next few weeks that show both my development with using it, how it is improving my mixes and hopefully showing off some of its strengths.

1 Like

Nice, I‘ll keep an eye out for this.
Experiments like these are always great to see :wink:

1 Like

So I’ve turned the abomination from the OP into a fully fledged track, merging it with some elements of a track I made for the stranger things challenge last month.
It’s all performed live in one take, the Heat is the only processing/enhancement. It needs some compression on the drums to glue them together a bit more and I need to run it through my DAW to bring the volume up (I’m recording directly into a zoom H4n and it has fuck all headroom) but overall I like what the Heat is doing. I’ve got it set to clean boost, drive around 100, wet about 110 and fully wet in the mix. There’s a little bit of envelope following the kick to give just a tiny bit of ducking and I’ve used the EQ to beef up the bass and tame those highs a bit (prob still not enough but fuck it, I’m happy with it).

3 Likes

Octatrack 2, Rytm 1, Eurorack, Avalon Bassline into Heat

from scratch 10 mins

4 Likes

Done another track to see just how much tape saturation you can get out of the Heat as a master effect.

Turns out quite a lot…

So I figured I could turn quite a subtle Saturation effect into something even legowelt would shy away from.
Achieved by simply turning all my instruments down low whilst keeping the drive and wet level of the heat at about 80 and the heat’s volume on full. Wet dry mix about 40.
I then set the input gain on my zoom recorder to the highest and set about performing a pretty simple acid track using my TB03, TR8 and my Digitone. I also used a lot of delay and reverb on the hats and TB03 on a send channel.
The bass is a bit muddy but it’ll do, I’ve EQ’ed as much of it out as I could get away with.
I added a tiny bit of negative envelope to the drive, triggered by the kick and a gentle LFO on the high frequencies and filter cutoff for movement.

3 Likes

Capture
:slight_smile: I’d rather read your topic in a private window.

3 Likes

You’d think with a title like that I’d have attracted a bit more traffic…

1 Like

Also, are you using windows 98?