Ace music / shit art

I really can’t recall any other band / artist that has had such a consistent run of utterly crap record sleeves as Oasis. Maybe two or three releases looked ok. The absolute worst being What’s the whatever…But NG has excelled himself with his latest. I thought it was a ‘place-holder’ months ago, but no.

Is there an album you utterly adore yet detest every element of the ‘art’ it’s incased in?

2 Likes

15 Likes

Depeche Mode have had some very poor album covers.

good effort but, c’mon…
Oasis_-_(What's_The_Story)_Morning_Glory_album_cover

Oasis is a whole package indeed.

And this is coming from someone that likes their other “bad” 90’s album covers. Fucking ace album though.

Also, I’ve always struggled with Trevor Brown’s covers, many of which would get me banned if I posted them here. I don’t have a moral problem with them as such, as he’s kinda covering the same ground as most of the artists he’s working with, but I just didn’t get on with the aesthetic, which is annoying, because I’ve probably got more of his art in my house than anyone else’s.

Here's one of his less disgusting examples...

400full

8 Likes

7 Likes

Oh yeah, Meshuggah are absolute criminals at cover art.

4 Likes

Everything from the police. Talk about unimaginative shite (the album art that is…).

Ace music / shit ‘Joker’ art

would be my nomination for an
Ace thread_idea / Shit topic_title
situation

Probably by virtue of the sheer length of time it has frankly nauseated my eyes, yet caressed my ears I’d shove this album forward as being high on that ratio, especially on the vinyl … the high point of jazz-fusion meeting the lowest point of graphic design

@nm . not again . smh

1 Like

Wonderful band, wonderful album, full cheap David Lynch cover goodness.

The back

9 Likes

This is not Frith’s fault I think, but back in the day those repackaged CD’s had some godawful design “remixes”.

Kinda like what happened to this nice image:

5 Likes

Oh yes, I do remember when music came as albums and those albums had covers. Those were the good days.

Some of those newfangled streams are pretty good. I really like the ambient ones.

Not very portable though

7 Likes

The oddly cropped photo and layout ruin the artwork of this otherwise great album. I do like the “Miles Smiles” type design, but even that feels out of place here.

14 Likes

Haha, it looks like something out of the Music Memes thread.

4 Likes

Everything tho?

(that’s a straight-up classic IMO)

The 90’s were a bad era for album covers, designers having all this new digital technology and seemingly no idea what to do with it. Here’s a great/dumb example:

A variant of this idea is how different an album cover can present the music versus what it actually sounds like. In many cases it’s intentional, often ironic. One of the heaviest albums of all time has this cover:

That one might take the cake. Painful.

12 Likes

10 Likes

It’s a classic (well known) but the fact it’s again their 3 faces makes it cheesy for me…always stick their mugs on everything, any wonder sting had a massive ego…

1 Like

I’m sure worse is coming but, yeah…

2 Likes

8 Likes