Access Virus Ti desktop - still relevant?

It’s just the same as using any synth preset except it has audio passing through, choose a Midi channel you aren’t using unless you intend targeting it with CCs or you are using Dynamic Mode (which needs played notes to gate) or Atomizer. Don’t think of it as any different to a synth preset in the sense that those settings are at the preset/part level, not the global level., you just aren’t playing the synth, but still have access to CC controls if you want.

I have a few template presets set up as starting points with STATIC already set up, a few default FX settings and soft knob assignments. It makes an amazing FX unit.

1 Like

Yip but with a DT…

1 Like

The Virus TI is still a high end outstanding synth with its own character. I have a Polar
and use it in single mode together with OT and DT, Sirin and TB Base Line.

Any comments on that? Working out well?

Ah, yeh sorry! Its perfect! A great match. There are already alot of modulation possibilities with syncable LFOs inside the Virus that can be plocked with the DT! They work flawlessly together stand alone and on pc the TI software and the current Beta of OB work together just fine. There is a thread somewhere on this forum discussing set configurations and a list of midi cc# that are fun to parameter lock. I will find it and list it here.

The only thing with the DT that is a letdown is that stand alone it monitors the inputs in mono…And the virus outs are very stereo…(by that i mean there is a stereo widener in the fx section) so you either need a mixer or to monitor the DT through the virus inputs if stand alone. If you are using OB thats not a prob.

I cant explain enough what an amazing piece of kit it is and event though digital, sounds great.

1 Like

Some good info here. For cc# etc

Also by setting up the monomachine through the virus input you would be able to set the MM through a virus input channel, so you would have a triggerable, syncable, automatable dual filters over the mm master out. Extra automatable reverbs, delays, comb filter, vocal filter, digital distortion, bit reduction etc etc that can be applied to the MM outputs. And the MM signal out can be used as a modulation source on other channels of the virus for a vocoder or whatever.

3 Likes

I previously owned an Access Virus Snow. My workflow changed and as much as I loved the sound, it ended up unused, so I sold it. Aside from the lack of a serious internal sequencer, the only thing that really bothered me about it was that I’d often run out of DSP, if using it for more than one ‘part’ in a track (I make a lot of Dub Techno and so was really pushing the FX chains with lots of modulation, so one track used for a chord maxed it out).

In terms of my current situation:
-I am keen to get another Virus of some description (after holding out for the Kyra, only to conclude that despite the impressive specs on paper, it is not the Virus-killer I’d hoped for).
-I’m getting old and don’t gig any more, so portability is much less of a driver for me, so no need for a ‘low power’ Snow.
-Form factor not a deal breaker, but my preference, from best to worst would be: 19" rackable desktop unit, non-19" rackable desktop unit, non-desktop 19" rack unit, one with a keyboard stuck on the side.
-My workflow/style is heavily dependent upon dub style live analogue mixing on a big desk, lots of FX sends & complex routing; consequently, the more inputs/outputs on the device itself (not via TI, nor Overbridge for that matter :smirk:), the better.
-Budget not really an issue.
-I am now almost entirely OTB and most of my sequencing is now done by a combination of Elektron boxes. Consequently, provided there are enough knobs on it, I envisage I’ll patch programme on the device itself.

Based on the above:

1. Is there some other non-Elektron hardware synth I should be considering, that can closely approximate the Virus sound/workflow?

2. Any comments on which specific model(s) of Virus you’ve successfully sequenced from an Elektron box and any comments, good or bad, about how you found that?

Thank you in advance Elektronauts! :pray:

Forgive the spam, but I currently have a mint Virus TI desktop top in the market section :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there!

anyone here familiar with the access ti12 keyboard version? I’m wondering how i can start/stop the arp by slaving it externally- say a digitakt or rytm. I can get it to sync and trigger notes easily but syncing up the arp has been less than optimal for me. any tips?

@fattyparts Link? Thx.

Just dm’ed you

1 Like

I have the TI2 Desktop and got it from a friend for 1500$us Will not let it go! I use it with Cakewalk and Maschine Mk3

1 Like

Is the Virus TI still relevant? Dude, my Virus B is still relevant, sounds amazing! 16 part multi-timbrality is not to be sniffed at, beautiful filters and loads of external CC controllability. Plus I just got on the VirusHC software editor bandwagon, which has increased the fun factor and usability astronomically.

2 Likes

I’m looking for a hard case or maybe a really good soft case for my still-relevant TI1 desktop.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

For the trip to Chicago? What about a 4U rack case?

That would be huge, and I’m hoping to stuff the Virus into the back of my (extremely full) Corolla for the drive. The Pelican 1550s I bought for my Elektrons years ago are a tighter fit than I’d prefer, but an acceptable fallback.

1 Like

You could just fill your entire Corolla with packing peanuts and just toss it in!

2 Likes

After our last move, I have been forbidden from purchasing any more packing peanuts. :cry:

1 Like

I start to twitch just thinking about them 🫣

It’s fun to toss them all in the tub and then melt them with water. :crazy_face:

2 Likes