About to buy am I going to regret not going digitakt?

I think that you’re going to like the Model: Samples a lot. On top of the immediacy of it, it’s got some advantages over the Digitakt.

You can have more samples in a project. Honestly, I don’t even know what the limit is off hand other than you can lock 24 samples in a given pattern whereas on the Digitakt you can lock any of the 127 in your project. But again, that’s for your whole project.

You can much more easily move patterns between projects. On the Digitakt, you need to make sure that everything’s in the new project and that the sample numbers match up. On the Model: Samples, you can just copy and paste. So if you want to put your best stuff in one place, you’ll have an easier time on the Model: Samples.

You can modulate parameters by velocity. When you add this to the fact that the pads are both velocity and pressure sensetive and that you can have pads set to automatically retrigger, you can get some really interesting results. Personally, I just like to use it to get a little extra variation. You can ultimately do a lot more on the Digitakt but I can just play that variation into the Model: Samples once I’ve got it set up. And I appreciate that.

Also, while you’re getting away from the screen, it’s easier to get the Models hooked up to a power bank so that you can use them as portable devices. It’s 5 volts. Hell, if you’ve got an adapter, you can plug the usb into your cell phone and record yourself wherever. I know that theoretically you can connect a Digitakt to a power bank but it seems pretty fraught and I’m not interested in putting mine through that.

If you do wind up getting a Digitakt, I don’t think you’ll regret having purchased the Model: Samples. It’s a good stepping stone to other Elektron stuff and a good piece in it’s own right. That’s my experience anyway.

I guess one tip I’d give you is to second what a lot of other people have said and prep your samples. If you know you need to change the attack, for example, make sure you’ve got it right before you load it up otherwise you’ll have to waste an lfo for an envelope. I’d also recommend making a point of using a folder system that works for you and adding things slowly and deliberately so that you know where everything is. I think that getting bogged down with trying to figure out where a sample is exactly is the quickest way to sap the immediacy of it.

So yeah, congrats on your purchase. Have fun. Make music.

Also, the Cycles is great. They work well together. But if you want to use them together remember that neither has audio ins so while you’re thinking about picking one up remember to also shop for a mixer.

7 Likes

That’s a new one to me! Wow. That’s pretty slick.

2 Likes

Well the answer was yes. I have been hammering away on a used model samples and, well I hit the sample lock limit five times already which just isn’t going to work for me especially with only 6 tracks. I think my hopes and dreams of being inspired by limitations just isn’t going to work and I know some will say but you have only been trying for a few days there’s so much to learn and master I just can’t get through this limitation. So I’ve already sold it and it’s off to a new home.

But… I loved the workflow as I thought I would so I am now on the hunt for a used digitakt to get properly stuck in.

2 Likes

I bought an M:S first and I can say it’s amazing for getting into Elektron. I do feel like I’ve outgrown it. But at that point, the question about “what extra features do I want now?” Should come to mind… and then it’s about deciding whether it’s the DIgitakt, perhaps the Analog Rytm or even the Octatrack, that you should be considering next. It’s pretty cheap really, so I don’t see it as an issue using the M|S as a kiddies pool so to speak, and then moving on.

Personally, after using the MS for six months I rented an AR mkii for six months, and now that that’s drawn to an end, I know what’s most important to me, and will get a DT. At least I know I’ve made an informed decision based on my own experience, and not on other people’s opinions, because in the end we’re all different in our preferences, workflows and the sounds we want to achieve huh? :slight_smile: that’s my ten cents worth

1 Like

I’ve got both the MS and Takt (and MC). There’s something magical with the MS, imo. Literally every time I sit down with it I make a track, or at least a few patterns. Immediacy and simplicity is key.

2 Likes

All paths lead to Octatrack…

Just kidding. I have one, but I’ve mostly used it as a mixer and for some reason I’m having a hard time letting go of the idea of getting a DT. I think maybe I’m overdue for unplugging the other gear and using the OT on its own for a while.

For some reason, the model series has never interested me. Maybe if I tried them I’d feel differently.

3 Likes

Sometimes you get your hands on a piece of gear and you just know it isn’t going to work for you.

This is so true, luckily majority of gear keeps it value second hand.

1 Like

No

i have the model samples and it was my first hardware machine and i love it. the only things that i feel are missing from it for being a complete machine for my needs (timestretch/pitch scale and being able to save pattern chains) don’t exist on the digitakt, but on the octatrack so i skipped the digitakt and when i had money i got a used OT and am bogged down relearning how to do everything.

i really wish the M:S just had those two functions. i could live without the pitch scaling as i could prepare that on computer if need be, but not being able to save pattern chains is torture for the music i make (i use it to write and sequence pop structured songs). this is a significant gripe, but i’d have the exact same complaint about digitakt.

anyhow, if you don’t see an immediate need for features that the digitakt has but the M:S doesn’t then you’ll be happy with the M:S it’s really a breeze to use and can do a lot.

1 Like