Ableton Push 2 is a gummy, sticky TPE mess

A few thoughts/questions

How long is the offer good for? 1 month, 6months, a year?
Will the refurb purchase come with a full warranty?
Do you have to send in your unit as a trade?
Not sure how long you’ve had the unit but if it has been the better part of a year may be a “new” unit at $118 is not bad at all.
If you can keep your original PUSH 2 and sell its obviously a no brainer and a WIN!
IMHO of course :grinning:

Don’t know how long the offer is good for.
Don’t know if the replacement would have a warranty.
I would be required to ship my current unit to them.
I’ve had my Push for at least 3 years. Not exactly sure when I purchased though.

Great questions - I’ll ask about them.
I’m on the fence too because I don’t know what “almost like new” means exactly.

If there is an offer for a replacement and you enjoy your push, I would advise to exchange it. It seems like the are offfering a significant discount. The other option of pulling the machine apart and using a solvent or something of the like to clean the coating is time consuming, and after the gear doesn’t necessarily look or feel nice after removing the coating.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s related to UV exposure and not necessarily heat. had my sub37 underneath the window and the mod and pitch wheel started disintegrating (same rubber coating)

In regard to digitakt and mk2 devices buttons;
I don’t think its the same coating at all as used on push and moog little phatty side cheeks. It is possible it is not coating at all. I received my analog four mk1 shortly after i had to clean of my moog LP cheeks and mod and pitch wheels. And when a saw the knobs on my a4, i thought, oh no! Here we ho again… but, 3years fast forward, my a4 knobs are still like new.

2 Likes

Damn just checked my Aiaiai TM-1 studio and they indeed have started to suffer from this, they never see any sunlight, uv or extreme heat or actually much use, as they are a set I only use occasionally, bummer.

I am going to actively avoid buying any more products with this kind of coating from now on, twice bitten thrice shy :smile:

I literally thought someone had played a prank on me :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah it’s like someone sprayed hairspray on them, I’m thinking interdimesional :alien: conspiracy :rofl:

3 Likes

Go for the refurb IME they are usually “new” I think it has to do with language its just a way to cover themselves from any claims if it is not “brand spanking new”
Like @COHIBA said and I will add on to “externally”, refurbs are usually gone over with a fine tooth comb, most times it’s just easier to replace everything internally than spend the man hours trying to track down the issues with “problem” units. The unit you get might be new B-stock.
Whatever you decide it is a pretty good response from Ableton most manufacturers wouldn’t bother past the warranty.

1 Like

I mentioned earlier my 10 year old Little Phatty doesn’t have any signs of this. I thought I’ll add I never set up it up by a window so sun never hits it, and I keep it covered always unless I’m playing it. So sun/UV seems likely… :thinking: It’s gotten pretty hot, was set up in a loft above a fireplace for 2 years.

I’ll add again if it bothers people it’s likely the mod/pitch wheel are the same as for sub37, I bet you can replace them if needed DYI, it’s not too expensive…

Goo gone!! Seriously, it works. I had a set of jbl monitors that were horrendously gummy. After an hour with some goo gone, a roll of paper towels and a couple of beers I got it sorted out.

2 Likes

I tried the washable sticky lint rollers. It works.
It might come back over time. But for a couple of bucks/30 seconds rolling action, it’s worth it.

9 Likes

In case anyone was interested, I just got the replacement refurb Push 2 from Ableton. $117.50 covered the unit, tax and shipping. The replacement looks absolutely mint. No complaints whatsoever. This one will be covered at all times, when not in use :wink:

7 Likes

Great ! :+1:

1 Like

Wow completely forgot about that!
Goo Gone is amazing I always keep a couple of bottles around.

1 Like

Ableton Push and the like, why do manufacturers keep using them. They are not intended to last beyond an intended period of time?

I tend to boycott products that use this finish. It’s the only way that rubberised fad will go away.

4 Likes

yes, qunexus, quneo, probably all keith mcmillen products get real sticky after a while.

Abominable stuff. Zoom recorder is a lint roller now. I blame the car industry. :wink:

The hard textured plastic like that used on old Thinkpads and Faderfox controllers is far better, if metal isn’t an option. Resilient and wipeable.

2 Likes

Zoom h5, quneo, mpc live. All had this issue. Moved on from push 2 before this happened. I still have the quneo, I painstakingly rubbed it off.
The MPC Live I put a skin on and later sold (let’s face it, no matter how capable, expensive plastic garbage that was made with zero love… Yes I’m still salty over the relationship.)

1 Like