Ableton Move [Archived]

I’m not overly familiar with the Blackbox but it’s worth noting that Move’s sample looping is very simple — you can set the start offset and the loop length, but the max loop time is 500ms and there’s no infinite hold, no ping pong looping, no crossfade, etc. So it really depends on your specific use case. The fact that you said “independently” makes me think you’re looking to create pseudo-tape loops that drift in and out of sync with each other, which I don’t think the Move is currently ideal for. That was one of my favourite features on the Digitakt and now that the DTII supports stereo samples, i would probably look there first.

2 Likes

Ordered at 8:25 am yesterday and still processing. I’m feeling bullied by their ignoring of my order :slight_smile:

But you could potentially add an effect. Resample that on all or however many of the kit you want into a new kit, and then apply a new effect.

2 Likes

Are we sure that isn’t just Drift or Wavetable?

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be useful or shouldn’t be implemented. But not as a priority, as the post I was replying was saying.

It’s something that people here want, maybe even need, but I’m sure we’re a tiny fraction of Move user base and definitely not the target demographic Ableton was thinking about designing it :slight_smile:

I bet you can get a lot of additional battery life with a small power bank.

Someone above said it’s an FM mode within Wavetable… it sounds/is FM though, might just not be Operator itself.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed that.

Good I never said such thing.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/15616909965596-Presets-on-Move

3 Likes

You know if you really want to show a piece of gear that you like it, you’d peel the screen protector off.

5 Likes

Yessss :D. Thanks for verifying. I just impulse bought it

1 Like

Wavetable doesn’t have FM between the 2 oscillators, but it has multiple wavetables recorded from FM synths. That’s why some patches sound like that.

It’s not on any page. You hold M and press either a pad or track selection button, depending what you want muted.

1 Like

Yeah plenty of options for that, I’m not dunking on the thing :smiley:

Move and even Note are not meant for full productions. This is where people miss the point of it.

Move is made for the producer who wants to generate ideas quickly with no distractions and an immediate interface. I am quite sure some people will get proficient enough to make complete tracks in it, but the general use case is for sketchpads.

I wanted 8 tracks as well when the leak happened, but now I see with 16 sounds per track i can program drums and bass on just one if I want to.

Or I can turn it on and accept what the random algo gives me and work with that.

That’s really the major clue of what this is for. If that was all it did, Im not sure I’d really want it. But the fact that it also is like a small push controller, makes it quite valuable to me. I almost see the groovebox as a bonus.

If you don’t use Ableton, this gear would not make much sense to buy, imo. But the reality of producing music in this streaming/social media era, is you need to create a lot of ideas quickly in order to find something great, and then you finish that.

For the person that doesn’t care about producing and releasing music, but still enjoys using ableton and making music for their own enjoyment, I can see this being a 50/50 piece of gear. Some will love being able to have the simplicity and mobility of move, and others would rather just sit with some gear and record the results into the DAW. They won’t need Move and won’t have much interest in it’s limitations.

The #1 weakness of Note is that it’s painful to edit midi on it. You basically play the ideas in live on a phone touch screen, which can be rather tricky. If the notes are off, it can be quite a faff to edit them. Move fixes all of that. It takes what makes Note very cool and intriguing and turns it into a more fleshed out idea.

7 Likes

I don’t use Live and I like the Circuit Rhythm as a drum/sample machine for what i need but wish it had more than 8 tracks that I could trigger from my external sequencer. The SP 404 mk2 works great for what I want but it’s too bulky and has no mic. This seems perfect for what I want, as a drum/sample module being triggered by my sequencers plus a portable sample player with that built in mic…something I loved about the Tracker mini but I just dont like tracker workflow. And I love 16 bars…anything more than 4 or 8 in a small portable device is great. Mine is coming tomorrow. Cant wait.

1 Like

I estimate tons of Move on reverb and ebay once GAS is over in a month time

4 Likes

Re: Operator.

I was wondering why it isn’t there. It’s the most lightweight synth in Live, has TONS of presets already, would add to the “colours” available.

My hypothesis is Ableton is working on upgrade for the Operator, to elevate it’s GUI and workflow to current standard set by Wavetable and Meld, i.e. expanded view, proper mod matrix, etc.

6 Likes

It is coming off, that was within the first hour of me having it, and it’s gone straight into my backpack to go home.

3 Likes