Ableton Live 11

Hoping for some help. New Ableton user alert……

I’m using a Moog Matriarch attached via USB. Midi track with External Instrument Device. Midi to and from the Matriach. Audio in from my input 1/2. All good. All works. Can start a new clip, record midi via Moog keyboard and the clip plays it back. Can also record automation for things like individual oscillator tuning - nice!

When I click record arm for the track, Ableton turns the Moogs Paraphony Voice mode to 2 voices no mater what the switch is set to on the Moog. Looking at the Moog manual, this is CC 94 with a value of 43-84.

How to I stop it doing that? Or work a around?

If you hit Ctrl-M to enter MIDI Map Mode then click on the Record Arm button, is there a CC assigned to it in the MIDI Mappings list on the left? If so, delete it. If not, maybe assign a random unused CC from the Moog’s implementation so that it sends out a benign CC.

1 Like

Hi everyone, if you want to take a look, I uploaded a demo here to try …Cheers!

1 Like

That’s strange!
Try looking at the MIDI settings page and unchecking “Remote” IN and OUT for your Matriarch.
It’s the section in the red box below.

I’m not sure what else to try if that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply guys. Tried midi map, nothing odd there and can’t see a way of adding one without assigning it to a knob if that makes sense.

It doesn’t have remote on the midi settings.

I started turning some of the matriarchs global settings off and on… midi out filter solved it, but then obviously you can’t record midi notes into Ableton haha.

ONLY way I solved it was to turn Monitoring to Off, rather than AUTO. Not quite sure why that would work, but it does :crossed_fingers::smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe this?

• Pitch Bend, Sustain, Expression, Mod Wheel, and other MIDI controllers that one would expect to reset to a default value will now do so at the beginning of clips that do not specify them. (Note: for users who intentionally use the previous behavior, this change will make their Live Sets behave differently. Therefore, the behavior is disabled by default. The behavior can be enabled by checking the “MIDI Envelope Auto-Reset” entry in the Options menu.)
1 Like

Thanks @DaGeek, much appreciated. Will take a look at that one tomorrow - it sends the midi cc whilst recording, but on playback of the clip it resets to what ever the Moog is set to, so that does sound like what you’ve quoted! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Is there a way to turn off automatic warp of short audio samples? I would prefer to choose which samples I want to warp. It’s not an option under loop/warp short samples in the preferences which is weird. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I might be wrong but I’m sure there’s something in the preferences for this

1 Like

Surely Unwarped one-shot would be what youre looking for?

Thanks! Seems to work now. Tried it earlier, but it warped it anyway. But now it leaves it unwarped.

1 Like

Is anyone using a MacBook Air M1 with Ableton? If so, how is it faring? I have a 2015 iMac (21.5 inch with Retina 4K display), but I’m finding that I don’t use it enough for music as I have to be at home and in the right room to do so. The thought of being a bit more portable is great, particularly with the idea of playing live. I have a Push 2, but also tend to record guitar in using an audio interface. Is the Air M1 solid enough to run Ableton at a decent level? I don’t have to have 100 VSTs going at once - as long as it can run a good few tracks with standard devices, plus some headroom for 5 or so VSTs, and be stable live, that’s likely enough for me. I also want to do some writing, which the Air would obviously be fine with… so it’s just the question of having enough power for Ableton and Logic.

My iMac has:
3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
• Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
• 16GB 1867MHz LPDDR3
• 2TB Fusion Drive

So I guess I’m wondering about CPU/GPU and whether 8GB would be enough RAM.

1 Like

M1 MBA should be enough for most use cases. If you use many RAM hungry plugins like Pigments 16GB of RAM would be better . I have a MPB 14" base model and Ableton Live runs like a charm in the newest beta version and with rosetta. There are some Youtube Clips where the CPU usage in Live 11 is 5% less on the MBP 14" than the MBA.

I need to go back to the Beta as the normal release running Rosetta is awful for CPU clipping (MacBook Air M1 8gig RAM). Bitwig is far better for CPU usage, I just dont like to use it as much as ableton

I’m using it on an M1 Mac mini, same chipset etc as the M1 Air. It’s easily, easily enough for Ableton.

I’d go for 16GB RAM though. I returned an 8GB version, and got the 16GB, because I found I was getting close to the limits. I also use it for photo editing, and for my work I often have a ton of safari tabs and other apps open for research.

But yeah, the M1 Air is a beast. I have used friends’ M1 Airs and they’re just great machines. Silent, lightweight, instant on, and that battery life is just nuts. you can go for days without charging.

Live 11.1 is now available

Live 11.1 Out now | Ableton

12 Likes

Yay! Apple M1 compatible wooohoooo…

Opens new Ableton:
“Convolution reverb not compatible with Apple Silicon” AGGGGGGHHHH :triumph:

anyone know a good and ideally free IR loader?

4 Likes

This sucks. Hopefully solved soon.

1 Like

The new Hybrid Reverb that came with 11 allows for user IR import.

3 Likes