Ableton live 10

Hey, so I’m trying to use sampler/simpler but coming from the Octatrack everything feels so clumsy and slow. Can anyone recommend a sampler VST that approaches the usability of the OT, or some advice on how to set up Live’s instruments to behave in a similar fashion?

I keep hearing only great things about:

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

Might also get it if a deal comes around in the future.

ive used the tal-sampler, and while i think its one of best and most fun i’ve tried i don’t think i’d say its super intuitive.

im not sure what @Anfim is after, but simpler is one of the best softsamplers i’ve tried, both for slicing and chromatic stuff. what are you after thats more like the OT?

3 Likes

Totally agree. It’s my fave. So quick and easy and sounds great with the Cytomic filters and the warp modes.

1 Like

if they put simpler in a hardware box i’d buy it in a heartbeat!

5 Likes

I’ll check out TAL and dig a bit deeper into Simpler. Thanks for the tips!

I love both ableton samplers.
Can you go more into detail what OT behavior you are missing?

1 Like

We all use OTs differently but I was in the same boat finding simpler/samples difficult/underwhelming. Still to get fluid with both but this video really opened my eyes to the possibilities:

When I had a DT and OT I loved taking a sample and making it something else and that video totally nails it. More of a Push focus but get the same end result without it.

Can’t help with the wilder OT type stuff. I never really went there with the OT anyway!

I love the TAL sampler and have been using is for years as an old school type of sampler with the different DAC converters.

Did you checked out Renoise Redux? It’s very powerful and comes closest to the Elektron experience that I know. It’s basically the Renoise Sampler as a plugin, with a tracker type sequencer inside.

1 Like

push2? :slight_smile:

1 Like

if only i could get one! its so pretty. but im talking completely disconnected from computer

yeah i was just kidding, i got what you mean. i wish there existed standalone push as well, or at leeeast they added sound/midi interface to it. oh well, OT is my friend

1 Like

does anyone use Live, Blocks and/or VCV…and can you tell me the difference in responsiveness between any or all of them sending and receiving CC?

Happy new year guys!
I’ve been noticing some crackles and pops when using VSTs in ableton that don’t appear to be happening when running the same synths in Logic for example, I’ve got a fairly capable laptop with a 6 core processor and 16gb ram. It’s happening even in a blank project with just one plug in. Is this just a simple case of adjusting the buffer size and if so, how big a trade off is it changing this to say, 512 from 256?
Any general advice on this topic would be much appreciated
Thanks

From 256 to 512 isn’t much more. You can still play the vST like an instrument

2 Likes

What audio interface are you using?

I’ve just bought the SSL 2, which is the first interface I’ve ever used and now the audio pops have gone. How does the interface affect the audio processing? I’m confused :woozy_face:

The audio interface, the transmission protocol it uses (eg USB2, Thunderbolt3, USB3 etc) as well as the drivers of your interface are some of the most important factors that determine latency on your audio system. Somewhat banal representation, but when there‘s more data coming in than your system can process in real time, you hear pops, which are - to my understanding - effectively dropouts.

If you were using your Macbook‘s internal audio hardware before (built in microphone, build in AD/DA converters etc), then it’s no surprise that you’d hear clicks and pops even at higher buffer rates.

Congrats on your SSL 2 interface & happy that that solved your problem!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent explanation and thank you for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

does anyone know how to get past the following message?
‘this parameter is disabled because it is controlled by a max device’

my max for live devices become frozen after saving. mapping settings are saved, but the destination parameter has become disabled. this is quite worrying that I can’t seem to save properly.