Ableton can't handle sequencing soft synths + Overbridge. Do I just need a new computer?

I’m trying to sequence my soft synths in Ableton via the Digitakt while simultaneously recording the audio from the Digitakt. To do this I have Ableton track one recording the Digitakt audio (thanks to Overbridge), track 2 MIDI sequencing my “poly” soft synth with the Digitakt, and track 3 sequencing my mono synth with the Digitakt. This is all via USB.

Audio

The problem however is that the audio and the MIDI note are slightly out of sync. This is remedied if I bump Ableton’s buffer size down to 128, but then I get lots of drop outs/glitchy audio.

I’m guessing this has nothing to do with my setup or anything Elektron related. My computer simply can’t handle streaming audio at 128 while playing two soft synths. It’s a tall order. What I’d like to know however is if there’s a computer friendly way to get around this, or if I just need to upgrade my 2013 Macbook if I want to do this kind of processing.

PS: Overbridge’s “Audio Engine” window has buffer set to 128. Maybe if I set it to 512 and set Ableton’s buffer to 512 things will be in sync?

1 Like

The buffer in Ableton should always match the buffer on your soundcard. I believe it will always display whatever you have set in the soundcard’s control panel.

128 Samples is a fairly small buffer. I would start with increasing it to 512. Also, you don’t say anything about what specs your computer has. What kind of processor are you running? How much RAM? HDD or SSD? These all factor in to your system’s ability to handle real-time audio.

So, what specs do you have?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Processor: 2.4 GHZ intel Core i5

Memory is 8GB of 16MHz DDR3

SSD - 2013 macbook pro running latest OS. Thanks!

Edit: Just realized I’m not using the Digitakt/Elektron plugin within Ableton. I’m just sequencing via USB and then recording audio from USB with “Digitakt Bit Accurate” as the audio input. Maybe that has something to do with it? I clearly need to read the manual so I’m going to experiment more…sorry!

1 Like

Alright, so I have the Digitakt plugin setup in a MIDI channel, and then I’ve got my audio channel recording from that. However nothing’s coming through, and the Overbridge plugin says “Cannot connect to the overbridge engine. Please start the Overbridge engine”. Engine app is open and says “Idle” next to Digiakt. Overbridge Control Panel recognizes the hits :man_shrugging:

Check if the version numbers that you will find in the bottom right corner matches. I’ve seen issues during the beta that not all components gets updated proppely between versions. The plugin, engine and control panel should all be the same. Uninstall and reinstall.

6 Likes

Try this list of settings to change to optimize your computer for audio production. https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

3 Likes

OP is on a 2013 MacBook Pro. That article isn’t relevant. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks, Olle. This is my first time downloading OB. Checked the versions and all are 2.0.11.2

Went and ahead and submitted a ticket to support.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see the Mac part.

1 Like