Ableton-bank-pattern-swichting

I’d searched the forum already but can’t find the answer.

Enviroment
Ableton -> Overbridge.
Is it possible to switch the bank and the pattern by a midi clip? Tried everything that I found without positiv result.

There are two main things you need to do.

1. Figure out what notes to send the A4 to change the patterns
  2. Set the A4 up to receive midi program changes via midi notes by setting up multi mode edit

Step 1
In the post A4 Multimap pattern change instructions/note list

Scroll down to the entry by josker on May '16 and get the xlsx file that contains a nice table showing you what midi notes select what patterns when you are sending program changes to change patterns. Also in the file are the entries required to set up the multi mode edit (see below)

Step 2
Go into global -->midi config–. sync and set the machine up to receive program changes
Then global -->midi config -->channels and set the channel to receive the program changes (I used channel 8)
Then global --> midi config -->multimap edit… set it up per the instructions in the xlsx file.

I don’t have Abelton but I set this up in Reaper and in the daw all you are doing is setting up the midi clips to press the notes to trigger the program changes. (Make sure the midi track with the program changes is sending to the A4 on the channel you set up to receive program changes)

If you use Program Changes midi messsages, you don’t need Multi Map, and vice versa.

You can change all Elektrons patterns with Program Changes only. That’s the normal way.

Multi Map is specific to A4/AK and Digitone, uses midi notes only, and doesn’t require Program Change Receive configurations.
It uses Perf Channel, channel 8 by default.
It allows to use DIRECT START and DIRECT JUMP for pattern changes.

I don’t use Overbridge, apparently you can change patterns with midi notes on channel 16 : Change pattern with midi notes (working)

1 Like

That’s kind of funny I got it working only because I had the perf channel the same as the program change channel by luck

1 Like

Does this work with the RYTM as well?

I just made a max for live device that lets you change patterns by naming the clip A1…A2…H14 etc…

Only works if you’re using overbridge (for now).

Also sends the program change (note) when you select the clip rather than when the clip starts playing (getting rid of potential pattern delay issues).

2 Likes

Dear All, what a wonderful and inspiring thread! Thank you all for your answers and help on this.
@Airyck. The M4L Device works like a charm. This is exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you a lot!