Ableton and OT1 not in time after stopping and starting the OT

Hi Guys.

I have ableton and the OT synced with ableton as the master. The two play harmoniously together when i press play, stop, play again, etc on ableton, but when i stop the OT, and start it again, the tempo is still synced but the OT starts playing immediately, instead of waiting for the next bar from the external clock (ableton).

Is there any way to make the OT wait a split second until the master clock catches up with it to start playing?

My reason for this is because i use ableton to record the end of my tracks while playing live, so that i can stop the OT, change projects, and mix back into the new track, and i need it to be in time when i start the new track from the OT.

Thanks.

No one?

that´s not possible, i think, because the Octatrack waits for a start signal. afaik no such signal is sent when a sequence is running. only workaround would be to hit start on Octatrack right in time. but maybe someone knows better. didn´t use any computer for making music for some years now. maybe there is a function in ableton to send a start signal while the sequencer is running ? i don´t know.

I don’t think that’s possible. You have to stop Live’s sequencer and then restart it again… you can fit that into a break. Dropping the beat for a short time is really not a bad thing! Even if you don’t restart the sequence with perfect timing, it makes the set more live and less pre-programmed. and gives the audience a cue to applaud your awesome breakdown… :sunglasses:
But,you should be able to fit a live set in one project? How long are your sets!?!

Ah that’s disappointing, but not a massive surprise. Ive just been manually timing pressing play on the OT, which has worked out ok i suppose.

It would be great if there was a way to manually trigger a re-sync from the OT. Maybe if i turn midi from ext, to int, then back to ext. Hassle though, and takes up valuable fiddling and programming time.

@Nagualizer I looked into having all tracks inside 1 project but seemed too complicated with using different parts, patterns, parameter locks, etc. Would prefer the simplicity of separate projects, but then that has its own complications, hence the reason for this thread.

Does the OT have “kits”? In other Elektron boxes you can just save a kit associated with a pattern so that when you change pattern you have all the sound-related settings change as well.

Pretty sure it doesnt but it would be great if it did.

No, that’s one of the annoying parts of the OT workflow. You need to P-lock new samples onto the new parts if you want to switch them out.

OP, you should probably look into parts instead of switching up projects. It’s time consuming I know but probably an easier option in the long run.

Are your songs taking up more than one bank of 16 patterns?

The OT has 16 banks that each have 4 parts(which are kind of like kits)…
By switching to a new bank it’s pretty much the same situation your presented with if you were to change projects and be on the same bank, but instead your in the same project in another bank… :slight_smile:

1 Like

OP - you can do what you want using an external sync box like an E-RM Multiclock, for example. That unit has buttons to stop a clock stream, and hitting it again, the OT will wait until the next bar then start again perfectly in time. Its a lot of $ to spend just for this feature though…

Oh that’s interesting. Dont think i found that solution when searching. Ill definitely pursue that. Thanks for the tip.