A4 with Roli Seaboard Rise - How to make it happen?

Hi
I have an AF which receives clock and transport from my AR via midi.
I just got a Seaboard Rise and hooked it up into the usb port of my AF.
I selected the AF to receive midi clock, transport and program change via midi+usb.
I can’t get the Rise to send midi to the AF at all.
Does anyone have an idea where I’m going wrong?
Thanks

I don’t think you can send midi using usb directly to the A4. You would need to use a midi host, like a computer or a stand alone device to connect the Roli to.

You could connect the Roli via usb to your pc, then send midi from there to your A4 via the usb cable for example.

Midi usb host example. I never used one of these.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

1 Like

The Seaboard Rise is not a MIDI Host device. Neither is the AF. Trying to connect their USB ports is like connecting two computer mice together.

Read this article from the manufacturer’s website:
https://support.roli.com/article/connecting-the-seaboard-via-5-pin-din/

Basically from the Roli site you need the Kenton Midi USB Host or make one. You can usually find a used one.

My only gripe about the thing is the direction the connectors come out of it. Otherwise it’s plug and play.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

1 Like

I’ve tried the Kenton box but doesn’t seem to send any messages at all.
I made sure I followed all the steps as directed by Kenton and had no luck.
Set the midi in setting to midi+Usb and tried to plug it in directly as well…nothing.
And last night I pulled out the usb from the Rise and the usb port fell off :frowning:
I have sent the shop I bought it from a message today letting them know and I guess I’ll have to send it in for repair now and wait to try it out when it gets back…

I have read somewhere, that it is not possible to use the seaboard rise with a midi usb-host device. You have no other choice than using it with a computer.
This is why i I gave up the idea to get a seaboard rise

I’ve tried the Kenton box but doesn’t seem to send any messages at all.
I made sure I followed all the steps as directed by Kenton and had no luck.
Set the midi in setting to midi+Usb and tried to plug it in directly as well…nothing.
And last night I pulled out the usb from the Rise and the usb port fell off :frowning:
I have sent the shop I bought it from a message today letting them know and I guess I’ll have to send it in for repair now and wait to try it out when it gets back…

[/quote]
Sorry to hear that. It sucks when gear doesn’t come out as expected. An usb port breaking up that easy sounds awful. I would expect superb overall quality in a product of that price range.
Hope It turns out right.

I spoke to Roli and they said it will work with a usb host like Kenton, they recommended it actually

1 Like

Here’s an update from Roli regarding hooking up the Rise to the AF:

…“Since the Elektron Analog Four is 4-voice synthesizer, we would need to set up the ROLI Dashboard according to that. Please set your Dashboard to:
[ol]
[li]Multi-channel mode[/li]
[li]MPE off[/li]
[li]Channel Range 1 to 4[/li]
[/ol]
Once you’ve done this, it’s time to set up your Analog Four to receive channels 1-4. If you refer to page 48 of its manual, you can see the instructions for doing that. Once you’ve made the appropriate changes on the Analog Four, you should be ready to go!”…

Now if only I had it working…:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually, it’s better if you set ROLI MIDI out channel to A4’s AUTO (MIDI in) channel, I think.
This way you can access directly the active track.
More interesting this way, especially for a tiny keyboard where you will not wish to map different parts of the keyboard to each track.

And finaly how do you like the seaboard + A4 combo ?

Im thinking about buying an expressive controller in the upcoming months, and I hesitate between the linnstrument and the seaboard rise.
I love the grid layout of the linnstrument but it is expensive and im afraid that the Y-sensitivity is not so good (the key are small!). The roli on the other
hand seems even more expressive, but id like to go away from the traditionnaly keyboard layout, and it has only 2-octave…

Roli’s suggestion is for if you want to use ‘voice per channel’ i.e. so you can do individual pitchbend/timbre changes on notes. a common wish when using an expressive controller.

The above, is better if you want to use it as a conventional single channel controller.
(you will need to set the output channel of the roli to the A4 auto channel and also set the Roli to single channel mode)

Glad you got it resolved! That must have sucked.

Auto channel is the best way to control the A4, but the Roli probably needs some confi for its multi channel expression stuff.

Haha I ended up using the Seaboard on it’s own with a laptop for its sounds and ease of use.
The A4 is on it’s own and sometimes I use the keys on the AK for the A4.

I just got Rise 25 yesterday… it’s a nightmare to connect to different things. I don’t know how to setup my AK yet. :loopy:

Yeah, I guess it’s not as straightforward as the average synth…
Take it easy, I guess a couple of days of setting this up and you shouldn’t need to touche it further.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

So I take it you’ve got one too?

Nope, it’s way too expensive for me.
And I’m not a keyboard player anyway :head_bandage:

But I can’t imagine how such a synth that offers to control multiple parameters with each finger would be easy to setup :tongue:

You know as stupid as it sounds I ordered it accidentally. Now I’m trying to see if I could find use for it in my setup. I’m not a keyboard player either… my main instrument is a guitar. So I always wanted to control synth via controller which would give it more “acoustic like” expression. I use JAM ORIGIN Midi Guitar software and it’s great, but not as smooth. Yesterday I connected Roli to Analog Keys and just went through the patches in a multimode… It sounded all weird as I had 4 different sounds loaded. Then I got into a single mode and loaded a patch randomly via seaboard… I must say my jaw dropped, it sounded amazing. So I’m going to spend more time on AK to work this out, because I feel there might a sweet reward.

2 Likes

Is this of any use?