A4 v Rytm Dual VCO

Just got a Rytm Mk2 and loving the dual VCO feature, it gives x3 tracks of VCO goodness, I have a RK002 cable which allows me to play x3 note polyphonic (chords) on it too (tested)

What, if anything would an A4 MK1 give me over this option of using the x3 VCO voices on the Rytm? The A4 would only adding another voice to the mix, am I missing something?

No need for CV options

thanks

It’s completely different voices, just a small list:

1. A4 oscillators are technically digital controlled oscillators
  2. Dual VCO can’t track whole range
  3. DVCO has only two pitch controls, decays and configuration, A4 has a lot of control, and a tons of modulation
  4. Sub oscillators on A4
  5. Different filter and overdrive configuration/circuits
  6. They sounds different))
1 Like
  1. Rytm VCO’s must be digital too?
  2. Nope but it can go quite low/high tho
  3. It does have an ENV too
  4. I can pair x2 Rytm voices and detune one by 12/24 semi tones to create a Sub?
  5. still Analog Filters and snappy too?
  6. I kind of like the oddness in the dual VCO, they don’t track accurately making some weirdness/uniqueness to it all

I’m finding it hard to justify £1000 when the Rytm Mk2 covers a LOT but not ALL of what the A4 can do already

1 Like

I’ve been trying to contain my GAS, on my first analog synth. And it’s between these two that I’m most tempted by, so I’m following this topic just for science.

trust me, these are different devices, for different purposes
let me share some knowledge with you)

1. DVCO is fully analog, A4 uses digital clock to reset oscillator, Digitally controlled oscillator - Wikipedia
  2. just check your RYTM with tuner, I personally love detune stuff, but it’s not always appropriate
  3. You can create very complex sound with A4, including drums, fx just because it has 2x2 LFO, 2x2 Env with shapes (rytm can’t reset envelops and has no shape, you should sacrifice 1 LFO for just simple EXP env), and few hidden direct modulation like PWM and vibrato
  4. Detune in RYTM is tricky
  5. A4 is lader filter -> overdrive -> multimode filter
    AR is multimode -> overdrive
    rytm is way more aggressive, A4 can track filter, and also track LFO rate
  6. Just compare A4 sound range with DVCO
2 Likes

I know, I own a Summit and a Prologue 16 already, but the A4 peaked my interest in a all in one box

the DVCOs are more edgier and raw and the variety of sounds you can get out of it are well fit for techno - sometimes i wish that they implemented a stripped-down chorus for it

there is an option in the kit or sound-parameter page for the filter envelope

the amp-env is not reseted ?

For me tha A4 sounds more like what you’d expect from an analogue synth.
AR has more character/ uniqueness in its sound but also less bandwidth for application.

I own both and like both for different things (AR not being my prime choice for synth sounds, but it happens).

I often put LFO on delay time)

yes

1 Like

very raw

1 Like

…adding to what’s been mentioned already here:

A4 - Four voice polyphonic analog tabletop synthesizer
AR - Eight voice analog drum machine & sampler

(from Elektron’s product page)

You can absolutely use DVCO machines as a three voice synth.

I am working on a little project doing that right now while I want for a new synth.

I havent used an A4 but I will say I think it would be much more functional as a synth as that is what it is designed for.

DVCO has a fairly limited palette. It can sound nice but it takes digging, and then you only have 1 lfo (admittedly per voice which is kinda cool).

It is also somewhat of a pain to do sound design for, you need to use an external controller because copying settings across the three voices is not feasible. I mean you can do it but it gets tiresome pretty quick. I use an EC4.

Also you have to make a choice re fx and the other voices, like if you want a cool sounding synth sound drenched in reverb and delay you have to compromise for the other rhythmic tracks, or take the individual outs for the voices and process them independently. which again, totally doable, but a bit of a pain.

Control over voice allocation is difficult. I havent used the RK Cable but I have used an mpe controller, i just configure it to send midi over channels 1-3 and it works great (also polyphonic aftertouch woo).

I also use it with ableton and an m4l device to route midi to the channels in a round robin way, it works but the MPE note per midi channel works better for playing imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zfs-PEBkQ

In that I have stuff like filter cutoff for the 3 voices mapped to a perf, and controlling the perfs via midi cc through an ios app. I recorded the notes directly into the rytm sequencer from my mpe controller.

I have some more stuff I will record soon, less kinda plucky/stabby like the above. With a bit of reverb and chorus it sounds great imo. Then again that is true of most synths so you do have to ask if it is really worth the effort faffing around.

It’s a lot of fun and you can get some nice sounds but personally if i were planning on doing a bunch of music id be better off using something designed to be used as a synth.

1 Like

sure I could use MIDI LFO’s from another device (OT/DT) via MIDI CC to modulate the VCO

also, change the Midi Channel on Track Two to Ch1 and you’ve got a x4 VCO mono voice, even better

This is a good breakdown, but the Rytm’s architecture is actually: oscillators + sample -> overdrive -> multimode filter (and then ofc -> master distortion and compressor)

It’s just a little confusing that the OD parameter is on the amp page. Makes you think it’s applied post-filter, but it’s pre-filter.

2 Likes

also, just resample the Track VCO voice (what ever Octave you need) then throw it on any Trk 4-12 (with the choke track, you could have a diff vers of the VCO sample) and it’ll choke to a diff VCO sample, could be an interesting test/sound

using a machine for something its not intended for can be creative and offer sounds you’ve never heard before, be unique

on my DT with the RK002, each x8 track sample can be detuned completely to give odd chords tunings. When the polymux is set to f5 for example, every 5 note chord would sound slightly different to the last. It’s can be subtle as you need to be weird, BOC sounds

Yeah my mk1 doesnt have sampling, it would certainly open up a lot of possibilities to make sounds, sample them then use them in a track, could keep all the filter settings as well.

Basically I have a nice synth on order I’m waiting to arrive, eta unknown so I’m tyring to make the most of what i have (and trying to quiet my gas for a vermona perfourmer while i wait).

Another tip for sounds is look at the osc configuration and get one that has a saw, then turn the balance to just the saw. Across three voices can sound really nice, its a bit of a cliche but it really did sound BOCish to me.

Other people have mentioned the limited range and poor pitch tracking in the higher octaves.

Oh also you get pan per voice, i reckon three voices detuned with a bit of pan would make a pretty phat sound. Pros and cons!

Just sharing my two cents.

I use an A4 Mk2 as my primary synth/sequencer and initially thought I’d end up purchasing a Rytm to use for percussion/samples so I could use the A4 for leads/pads.

In the end, I’ve found that the A4 is uniquely well suited for percussion because of the flexibility of its voices. I typically use 1 or 2 tracks for percussion and p-lock different sounds on different steps. While this initially felt like a workaround for the voice limitation, it can result in unique sounds as the machine rapidly changes settings between steps. The effect ranges from slight timing and timbral variations to "pop"s and other sorts of noise. The results are not for everyone, but they’re very pleasing to me and I’ve made it an essential part of my music.

I think the Rytm is an incredible value, but for my uses, I’d consider a second A4 before I’d get a Rytm.

i was mentioning that mostly to further highlight the difference between the two machines…but of course, that doesn’t mean it can’t make it for added creativity and/or different sounds :smiley_cat: