A4 strengths ? : Getting outside the 'typical' dull sound?

The role I am thinking of taking with A4, is to use it as a mono-timbral synth. That way (especially given that it doesn’t have separate outputs), I can EQ and compress it etc. on entry to my mixer. I can also then use it for its strengths. Makes it an expensive box for the role, but p-locks make it interesting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it interesting that people want these modern instruments to sound like classic 70’s synths.

I love the signature sounds of classic synth manufacturers as much as the next guy but what excites me about Elektron gear is that it doesn’t try to sound like them. Instead it presents you with something new to get creative with.
Electronic music is still very young, I find it strange that so many people are looking to recreate the sounds of 40 years ago rather than try to make something sonically new.

If you want Moog sounds get a Moog or a Moog filter or (dare I say it on a hardware loving forum?) a software emulation.

This isn’t intended as a dig at anyone - just airing some (tired) thoughts.

12 Likes

I get what you mean but I don’t think there’s really anything ‘new’ about the basic timbre/filter on ak/a4? Just sounds kind of mids/VA to me? I don’t really see how a nicer intrinsic character would have hindered the areas/functions/modulation etc where Ak/a4 can potentially venture in to ‘new’ things/sounds? If ‘new’ is even possible today…

Guess it’s just down to taste. The elektron guys that designed it obviously favoured that character or felt it was a nice alternative to what’s out there and seems a lot of other people here dig it too. I’m still undecided. I think maybe this thread has in places got a little exaggerated as far as how inflexible the a4 sound is overall. From my little experience with it I’d agree with those saying that it can be steered away from where it seems to want to take you. Just a bit of a struggle sometimes… And I’m yet to suss out how far away from its own ‘sound’ it’ll let you take it. Also it’s partly a U.I/architecture thing for me. Just not as much fun/immediate as I’d hoped before buying. Those goddamn rotary response curves!!

1 Like

This is spot on, really. And perhaps all that needs to be said.

As for DSI synths, at least the ones with the Curtis LPF all have a distinct brassy sound character to them that I like for lots of things.

Getting back to working more so in my DAW and with software and I was thinking the exact same thing.

Agree, the Curtis LPF generate a special character the the DSI synths.

1 Like

@Callofthevoid it’s not about the basic timbre or filter (although they have their own sound and it does feels “modern analog” IMO).
The real novelty about the A4 is about the incredible options of modulation available ! And I’m not just talking about LFOs or envelopes, but also wild p-locking (even on FX) + sound locks + conditional trigs. These are the real places where the A4K brings some “new” character, some modulation possibilities / expressiveness you cannot get from another synth.
And modulation IS the part that has most impact on the sound, from all the synthesis layers.

Now I see it more as a loop sculpting tool than a keyboard synth, I don’t play keys that much… But in this area it isn’t touched by any other synth. Or I want to know which :yum:

I might be wrong but IMO the A4K is not the right (or the best) synth when it comes to simply play keys and get pads or chords. If one doesn’t use a bunch of the modulation aspects the A4 has to offer, then yes, one should obviously come back again and again to the basic timbre and filter sound and may quickly feel limited…

3 Likes

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Elektron!!

Thats correct Dalai!

I am the retired Air traffic controller who uses electronic music as a therapeutic tool

Thanks!

1 Like

@Robert_T Well, currently listening to your Bandcamp and I say that was a smart move !!! :smile:
… I wish my wife was as comprehensive as yours :loopy:

1 Like

Can you please stop complaining about the A4 at least until I’ve sold mine? Thanks all :tongue:

1 Like

I think people are arguing against different things/misunderstandings in some places in this thread :wink: Personally I was only ever saying I have doubts about the central sound/filter and it’s (subjectively negative) effect on everything else that follows. I’m fully converted as far as all the mod/sequencing etc stuff goes, that side of it is mindblowing :wink: I just don’t get it where people are saying ‘elektron designed it from the ground up NOT to have a character like legendary synths’… How would an amazing starting point instead of the seemingly thin/VA vibe have hindered the rest of it? But people with way more experience than me have said that this is due to it being designed neutrally so it can be taken left or taken right. In which case that sounds perfect! I’m just yet to fully turn it in either of those directions, and it’s sometimes hard work even knowing which one’s which :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m doing many things at the same time and I may have misread your posts, friend.
:loopy:
Even now, reading your last one twice I’m not sure about what we were discussing at first :smile:

Time to leave work I guess !!

1 Like

This sounds like the battle I’m having with my Monomachine right now.

Haha, tangled thread :wink:

In the end it is so entirely subjective, and such subjects breed disagreement like no other.
I can generally find the beauty and usability in any synth, so the only ones I let go of are because of workflow.

7 Likes

[quote=“Callofthevoid, post:75, topic:27556, full:true”]
… I just don’t get it where people are saying ‘elektron designed it from the ground up NOT to have a character like legendary synths’… How would an amazing starting point instead of the seemingly thin/VA vibe have hindered the rest of it? … [/quote]

You are right, there could be a pleasent starting point and many would love it - and there would be nothing wrong about. I see it as a blank white canvas … boring - indeed … but with some fine colors and pens laying there too :smiley:

2 Likes

This new forum is making this sound like a comment stream on Twitch :slight_smile: quite confusing, but it could be my Iphone acting weird

To the people with their comments about my music, thanks!

here is the link to my tunes robertt.bandcamp.com
And its pay what you want too , so if you want to buy me a beer/coffee cool, if you cant afford it, just input 0.00 and thats cool also

A new interview with me that was released today

https://youtu.be/OazsqT3dCe4

3 Likes

I own a sub37 and a A4. I think A4 is able to come very close to moog sounds. It’s very versaitile synth and if you want to copy specific synths you should check the spec sheet of that synth and copy it as good as possible on the A4.
You should get a sound very close in most cases close enough👍

@toot

Not sure if you’re responding to me, but…

It’s not that I bought an A4 thinking or wanting it to sound exactly like a classic Moog, Roland, or Korg. I thought it might approximate those sounds where needed in certain songs plus also have the ability to do newer fresher sounds in other songs/genres that I work in. A workhorse, do-it-all synth for relatively affordable cost. But, turns out I simply gravitated towards the classic simpler sounds and more hands-on interfaces of knob-per-function synths. Worth a shot to try the cheaper more compact setup first though, right?

Plus, certain genres call for certain classic sounds. Not everybody wants to sound like Autechre (not all of the time at least). Kind of similar to how guitarists still like the general sound of guitars.

Finding the right synths for your music is a journey. I’m still on that journey. (Just to reaffirm - I liked the sound of the A4 and was sorta arguing in favor of it’s sonic qualities. I think it’s wide array of sound creation potential is a plus if your taste and preferred genres call for that.)

But, sounds like you and I might have different tastes and different ideas about electronic music in general so I won’t try to convince you of anything beyond describing my reasons for purchasing. :relaxed: