A4 Sequencer Live Recording Mode Notes Overdup Polyphonic without erasing notes below

Hey there
I bought an A4 that I am very happy with and with this Forum and the Video Tutorials from Cuckoo and Carls Cabinet of the C. on YouTube I am able to learn a lot of stuff.

One thing i can not answer by myself so I want to ask you experts in here.

In ableton sequencer it is called the midi overdup mode. I can record p.a. in a one bar loop notes over notes over notes without erasing the notes below. For me that is a good way to get chords without having the finger skills. But on my A4 the new notes erasing the old ones. Is there a hidden feature to eneable?

Thanks for your Support.

Milan

You can’t live Rec on a trig/step without scrubbing what was there before. So no overdubs. But you can add additional layered notes by dialling in the parameters. can’t remember the exact page. Maybe called ‘note setup’ or something similar? Same page you assign note length etc iirc.

You can also manually enter chords without the sequencer running. Just hold step + the notes. Then tweak the note length to what you need. That might be quicker workflow if it’s just the speed of the sequencer that is stopping you being able to input chords ‘live’. Or you could maybe just slow down the bpm and live Rec?

2 Likes

yep - as above … place to p-lock up to three additional notes is found under Arp … store as semitone intervals relative to the root note found on Note page … turn ARP off for chords

1 Like

Wait, does this work similar to the MnM chord entry? So if I were to set the A4 to 4 voice polyphony for 1 track and entered in the notes in the ARP menu with ARP off, it will play chords? I’m looking in the manual now and I can’t find where it says that under the ARP instructions.

Not familiar with MnM, but yeah, that’s how you’d do chords … obviously, being only 4 voice, if you did a 4 voice chord voices on other tracks would be cut, or the chord would be cut if a voice is triggered elsewhere … but you do have just about the most flexible implementation of voice assignment and stealing modes to explore, also allowing preserved single voices (and up to triads for chords)

Thanks for your fast answers. Hmm i am sorry but that isn t what i am looking for. Maybe i can sequence the pattern in ableton first and record the whole pattern in a4 after.

It’s weird. It doesn’t seem to always work for me. I have poly set up for 4 voice, one track with a note with the 3 other notes programmed in, but when I put down a trig, it only plays the root. If hold a trig and play a chord on my MIDI controller, it plays it back properly, though.