A4 Multi-Map Transpose, Does it respect quantize to scale settings

Hi,

I’m considering getting an A4 but I’m curious if, when a pattern you have made is transposed via multi-map midi information on channel 8, if the transposed pattern will transpose absolutely or within whatever scale has been set up.

For example, say I have made a pattern outlining a CMaj7 chord and set the lock to scale to CMajor and then apply a transpose via channel 8 MIDI of +7. Is the resulting pattern outlining a GMaj7 chord or a GDominant7 chord?

This is one feature that I really wished was part of the MNM. I like to work semi-algorithmically and scalar transposition is really useful as you can move through the harmony using the same pattern and explore all sorts of versions of it without having to rewrite it. On the MNM the multi-mode transpose would ignore whatever scale you had set up but the song mode transpose would respect it. I always wondered why.

Thanks,

David

I believe absolutely :confused:

Ah oh well. Thats too bad. I wonder why it works differently than the rest of the transpose settings. Anyway thanks for answering!

Interesting question, it has to be tested to be absolutely sure.
I can’t right now.

@xinniw

Whilst I haven’t tried in MMap mode … and it’s maybe not directly answering, the following may help you follow …

If the sequencer was playing an 8 step sequence of a scale in C and you then applied scale correction to C Maj obviously no change

If you apply a semitone transpose you will not Hear a C# or any sharps for that matter

Depending on the interval you can get double notes in the transposed chord, so the Transposition is not the last piece of the puzzle … Scale correction will always follow it

Yeah that can cause some funny behavior in the MNM sequences too although there is no destructive scale correction in that environment. On harmonic material this effect (where a semi tone is ignored based on the scale but a whole tone is not) can lead to interesting new chords as you spin the transpose around. It can be a way to cheat and create prepared dissonances without really trying to.