A4 mk 1 vs Typhon

I’ve been kind of gassing for the Typhon, but then I started thinking…does it really do anything the A4 doesn’t? I mean the effects section DOES seem really, really cool. But judging by youtube-videos they sound somewhat similar on a core level… Save me som money and agree with me?

Don’t have a Typhon but I have an A4 mki and a Dreadbox Nyx mki. Not trying to add fuel to the fire here but it’s no BS that Dreadbox has a sound. A very, very lush analog sound. While I know these things are subjective I agree with Sonicstate’s Nick Batt when he described Dreadbox synths as sounding “right” and having “mojo.” Again, subjective assessment here but when I first fired up my Nyx I was like “oh, that’s what I always thought analog is supposed to sound like.”

Typhon demos sound incredible and the unit represents a sweet value to cost ratio. I vote keep the A4 and add the Typhon…

2 Likes

Damnit! :wink:

1 Like

I’m certainly planning on keeping both.

3 Likes

having both a4 mk1 and a typhon, my not very experienced opinion is that they’re very different. typhon is very immediate, playable as an instrument if you want, but also very capable as a mono synth. it’s great for basses, mono leads, even pads (which i didn’t expect). the a4 is very deep, offers some polyphony if you need it, is a more capable sequencer and all around box that can function as a central piece of your setup. they may be able to accomplish similar sounds, but they feel like very different beasts.

5 Likes

Typhon sounds a lot better…

1 Like

Update: Got a Typhon. Love it. But will definitely keep the A4. When I haven’t used the A4 for a while, then do something on it, I’m reminded that nothing I’ve heard can replace it. Just my opinion, but to my ears the A4 always sounds like an A4, which can get kind of old if you’re using it a lot. But the Typhon, imo, is far more flexible on a “timbral” level. And then there’s the fx. Wow, what a great little machine. The two together seem very compatible, and the result is definitely greater than the sum of it’s parts. I think you could probably make relatively astounding tracks using just the A4 with midi to the Typhon (5 tracks). In fact, I think I just might try that out this weekend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes