A4 midi ports powered?

HI,

so, are the Midi ports on A4 powered? i need to merge out and trough ports with MIDI solutions merger v2, and it needs powered midi ports…

https://www.thomann.de/gb/midi_solutions_merger_v2.htm

Technically all midi ports should be ‘powered’ since the midi hardware specification requires 5v (or alternatively 3.3v since 2014) to be present on pin 4, so yes it might work fine - althought powering devices from the midi port is not actually part of the midi specification, so you might run into problems, or you might be fine depending on the devices or combination of devices. My advice is to either get a powered merge box with its own power supply, or buy that one and test it thoroughly with all the gear you want to use it with, before the return period is over.

2 Likes

Their faqs show a lot of devices not currently compatible (including the earlier Elektrons) with their products (with regards to self powering)

The DIN Sync side of those ports (not MIDI) is serving up 5V signals, I wonder if that’s a clue as to whether the MIDI side is running at 5 aot 3.3 as Daren points out

Edit : The product shown is flagged as being compatible with lower voltage MIDI circuits anyway

3 Likes

Sometimes it can be because of the optoisolator used in the gear, if it is a ‘hungrier’ opto requiring all or close to 5ma to adequately illuminate the LED, and the midi device being powered from the port is leeching a bit away then it can affect the data integrity which could be stuck or lost notes and data or worse case no reception at all.

MK1 Elektrons can also be inadequate with passive thru boxes if used as the master I have found, never looked inside but probably due to the opto used - nothing wrong with the design as when they were made the updates to the midi spec were not in existence, and phantom powering is still not really recommended, even though quite common.

2 Likes

ok, thanks for your advice darenager. What i need to do is to merge trough port of A4, who is receiving PC messages from midi foot controller, and A4 midi out port, sending midi clock and transport messages. Than when merged, distribute this midi information to other gear using midi trough box.
I would like to avoide another power adapter if its possible.
Hope it will work. Thanks again

Hi, thanks avatronica, so A4 has that ? lower voltage MIDI circuit

edit: is it allowed to post links of shops and products? it is not a spam, i really need advice

No I think it is 5v, but the thing to bear in mind is whatever gear is ‘downstream’ might not get enough current to light up the LED inside its midi input, but it might be ok.

2 Likes

No problems with your link above. There are no hard and fast rules, but the admins and mods will use their discretion … actual spam or blatant advertising would be frowned upon.

Now I think about it I am fairly sure these devices have been used/recommended by many A4/R/K users on these pages

1 Like

I checked my Midi Solution EP+ on out, the light was on.

1 Like

A ok, I get it now, merger will “eat” some power out of the initial current strength. Tnx

Thanks man, really nice of you! I think I will go for it then and hopefully this merger will live some current left for other devices. I really do not need another power adapter haha I think you guys here can relate :blush:

…and all my Elektrons (MM/MD/A4/AR) power the MIDI Solutions MIDI Thru box as well.
You should be good to go!

5 Likes

Thanks, wow cool helpful people here :facepunch:

3 Likes