A4 Midi Out Controlling other Gear?

Hi there! New to the forum. I’ve searched and was unable to find the answer to my question. I know that the A4 can send midi out, but not sure how to make it work to control other external synths that accept midi in. Do I just consume one of the normal channels for this and set it up appropriately? Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, you can also use the CV channel if you’re not using that otherwise.

Thanks. And I presume I lose that track, say a regular track, if I’m using it for midi, correct?
And can I use the FX track to send midi notes out? Thanks again!

yes you can use the fx track to send midi data. Personally, I use the fx track to play an external synth module and the cv track to play still another synth module. Just make sure the synth “listening” for a given channel is the channel that that AK track is sending midi note information.

Welcome to the forum!

You do not “consume” or “lose” one of the synth tracks for this - the track simply plays the same notes as are on that synth track to the MIDI Out port. As @alspacka and @LAX helpfully point out, you can use the CV or FX channels instead if you don’t want to use one of the four synth tracks.

1 Like

Awesome. Just what I thought. Thanks so far for all the help. Last question, if I use the FX track for midi out, do I lose my FX that are already on each sound (from the preset sounds) going to the main outs? Thanks again all!

no, your fx sounds (send effects) will still be there.

you could also use the cv track, if you do not use it otherwise… or with fx track together for 2 different synts…

Perfect. Just what I hoped. My hope is to use the FX track to run via midi and then the CV an actual CV out. Thanks again all!