A4/K/MKii Trig Conditions Thread

Indeed!
Even subtle stuff like a 10% probable trigless filter envelope increase, and/or OSC sync amount, and/or PW… half way between note commands that are 6 steps apart, but with the arp running.

This is a serious game changer.

1 Like

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

Indeed!
Even subtle stuff like a 10% probable trigless filter envelope increase, and/or OSC sync amount, and/or PW… half way between note commands that are 6 steps apart, but with the arp running.

This is a serious game changer.[/quote]
I am trying to do several things at once here:

1. start a remix with deadline end FEB
  2. Set-up and tweak our new live rig for gigs in mid FEB
  3. Learn and work the new additions to my RYTM and A4
  4. Test and tweak our template with OB 1.10
    So far I’ve gotten as far as to test the OB, eat a yoghurt, and melt my brain over possibilities with the new TRIGS - and out of awe I haven’t even manage to test them out - I just spend all the time on the forum! Haha…

Can someone, in english suitable for an imbecile (me), explain the NEI and PRE trigs?

I’ll do my best.

Let’s say for this purpose that “x” = note on, and “0” = note off. And BOLD trigs represent trigs that have been changed with PRE or NEI commands.

Here’s an 8 step sequence, in one track, of entirely note ons.
xxxxxxxx

PRE is with regards to trigs in a single track, like above.

If you have a sequence like this:
xxx0xxx0

And you set the 4th step to PRE, then the 4th step will mimic the action of the step before it (step 3), replacing the 0 command with an x command. The result is:
xxxxxxx0

Now, NEI is with regards to trigs in NEIGHBOR Tracks.
The NEI trigs you design on track 2 will reference/mimic the trigs on the same steps in track 1. As such, Track 3 NEI trigs would mimic track 2, and track 4 mimics track 3.

So, if track 1 looks like:
xx00xx00

And track 2 has originally programmed this:
xxxxxxxx

then after assigning step 3 of track 2 a NEI command, track 2 looks behaves like this:
xx0xxxxx

4 Likes

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

I’ll do my best.

Let’s say for this purpose that “x” = note on, and “0” = note off. And BOLD trigs represent trigs that have been changed with PRE or NEI commands.

Here’s an 8 step sequence, in one track, of entirely note ons.
xxxxxxxx

PRE is with regards to trigs in a single track, like above.

If you have a sequence like this:
xxx0xxx0

And you set the 4th step to PRE, then the 4th step will mimic the action of the step before it (step 3), replacing the 0 command with an x command. The result is:
xxxxxxx0

Now, NEI is with regards to trigs in NEIGHBOR Tracks.
The NEI trigs you design on track 2 will reference/mimic the trigs on the same steps in track 1. As such, Track 3 NEI trigs would mimic track 2, and track 4 mimics track 3.

So, if track 1 looks like:
xx00xx00

And track 2 has originally programmed this:
xxxxxxxx

then after assigning step 3 of track 2 a NEI command, track 2 looks behaves like this:
xx0xxxxx[/quote]
Aha.
I think I understand, and I am sure it will be clear when I just try it out! :slight_smile: Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

…i hope the number of maximum p-locks has been increased… :astonished: i can easily run out of them :sob: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Where is “A:B” ? Cant find it o0 .

A:B = the last possible trig conditions in the list.
for example 2:5 , 3:7

1 Like

Ah k, thx ^^ .

My gear is in storage for a while, but can anyone confirm these few points?

Can a trig on say a 1 bar pattern be set in these conditions for example

to repeat on every 3rd pass only?
on every pass except the 3rd pass?

I think from reading the manual it can but would be nice to know for sure.

I assume this applies to fx track and CV track too right?

Yes, that’s 3 : 3

That would be 2:3. It plays twice and then refrains on the 3rd pass. (I was mistaken)

I assume this applies to fx track and CV track too right?

Yes, in any of the 6 tracks. Also trigless trigs.

1 Like

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

Yes, well, sort of… Closest to that would be the 1 : 3 trig condition. Not exactly the same, but playing 1 out of 3 times consistently. It would play the 1st pass (of 3) only, so it is offset a bit from what you desire.

That would be 2:3. It plays twice and then refrains on the 3rd pass.[/quote]
…this way it plays the trig on the second pass (once) than waits 3 passes and plays the trig again, not sure if it is what darenager means :expressionless: :confused:

edit: the trig basically plays one pass earlier than it says on the display. so supposing it’s 3:4, the first time the trig will play will be on the 3rd pass, then it won’t play for 4 times (including the pass when it played) and back again… (need to keep count of things now :smiley: )

1 Like

…this way it plays the trig on the second pass (once) than waits 3 passes and plays the trig again, not sure if it is what darenager means

Thanks for the correction, Guga. You are right.

will edit the post.

1 Like

Hmmm, the behavior I am getting with 3 : 4 is
first pass, no play
second pass, no play
third pass, PLAY
fourth pass, no play.

So, in A:B
First # (A) represents WHICH pass it is played on.
Second # (B) represents TOTAL # of passes in the trig conditions phrase.

^ that’s what it does.

A:B means: play on the Ath iteration initially, then play every Bth iteration.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, so the every except the 3rd does not seem possible then?

Maybe the _ (overscore) could be used for NOT in a future update, like it is on the other modes.

1 Like

Brilliant solution!

1 Like

75% means it would have a 75% chance of playing on each pass, so this is quite different than playing 3 times out of 4.

Brilliant solution![/quote]
If I had a brain I’d be dangerous :slight_smile:

HA! Just checked my feature requests emails, asked about these trig conditions, noise filter and tracking LFOs back in December 2012. Thanks Elektron!

1 Like

This is something everybodey of course thought about allready, but it is going to be superb live to me. I use my A4 for basslines and synths live, and up til now it’s been a lot of “advanced” mode and chaining patterns etc to get simple variations in the bass line. But with the NEI and A:B triggers you can extend your pattern enormously!

So I have a 64step bass sequence, that should be a 256steps sequence where the last 64steps of it modulates/transposes pitch (but has the same rythm as the first part)

So I put the variation on track 1, and the main repetition on track 2 with the same sound.

every note on track one has a 4:4 setting
every note on track two has a NEI (with the line above)

So that it will trigger track2 for the first 192steps and track1 (the variation for the last 64 steps)

Hah, now I can get even more drunk when playing live! Superb!