A4 is surprisingly great for learning synthesis

Just wanted to share something I’ve been thinking about in my first few weeks with my A4, as the suitability of the user interface for synthesis, particularly for someone who has never dived that deep into making their own sounds from scratch, was something I was a bit concerned about.

I’ve actually been really pleasantly surprised how great the A4 is to program despite the relatively small number of knobs and the small screen, and I feel like I’ve learned more about synthesis and making patches from scratch with it than I have done in years of playing with soft synths, or with the Microbrute and Virus I bought a few years ago.

I think there are a few reasons for this:

1. Everything is really logically laid out and quick to access. The way the parameters are grouped together into logical pages, and the vast majority of parameters for a given track are only one button press away - there are some which require a second button press, but these are less frequently used, and mostly easy to remember where they are (e.g. envelope 2 requires two presses on the envelope button). It’s pretty easy to memorise the position of the knobs for each page too, as they are arranged in an intuitive order and common parameters such as attack are the same across different pages.

2. Having everything grouped together in pages actually makes you think a bit more about what you want to achieve. With the Microbrute, I’d mostly just randomly play with the sliders and see what happened, which is a lot of fun, but the A4 makes you think a bit more about what parameter you want to tweak before you do it as you have to go the right page. For someone who has been pretty lazy about learning synthesis, I’ve actually found this a good thing as it makes you think a bit more when tweaking sounds and you start to get a much better feel for how each section shapes the sound.

3. Having all the parameters on screen and the knobs being relative encoders makes it really easy to compare your patch to another one (e.g. from the library) on another track, just by switching between the tracks and looking at the values. I’m finding this a great way to learn how seemingly complex sounds are made - take a library sound you like on one track, on another track start with an init patch, and then switch between the tracks for each page, copying over parameters and noticing what effect they have. It’s interesting to start from the first oscillator, notice how everything sounds quite plain, and then observe how each additional page brings the sound to life!

4. You can use it anywhere, anytime, without needing a laptop! I know this one is kind of obvious, but for me again it’s quite a big advantage. I work on computers all day and often in the evenings, I don’t really want to stare at a big screen. While on the A4 you are kind of staring at a tiny screen :wink: it’s not the same as looking at a backlit screen, so I find it easier on the eyes. It’s also portable enough that you can sit on the sofa and play with it for half an hour, or as I did just now, take it out onto the balcony and make the most of the sunshine while making some sounds.

5. It’s very immediate and fun! I often only find half an hour here or there to play with music stuff, and I find the A4 is great for this, as you can really easily a cool sound going, then bring in additional layers, all in one box without needing to worry about any set up. When you’re out of time, just turn the power off and when you turn it back on, everything will be just as you left it. The fact that you can get great results quickly really motivates me to learn more.

6. It goes really deep, but it doesn’t have to. I think you can get great sounds from the A4 with fairly minimal work (I’m not a synth expert, so not comparing it to anything else here, but you definitely don’t need to work too hard to get a cool sound in my experience so far), but the synth engine is incredibly deep, so if you want to go deeper, that possibility is there… and chances are, if you read a cool synthesis tip, you’ll be able to implement it on the A4 thanks to the huge amount of modulation and parameters. I feel like it’s a great synth to learn as it has the capabilities to grow with your knowledge.

Just thought I’d share this for anyone who’s on the fence about buying one (as I was). I absolutely love it, much more than I expected to - it’s the most fun I’ve had making music for years and I often find myself thinking about things to do it on it throughout the day or reading tips on here, which is a good sign :slight_smile:

Cheers - and thanks to all on here for some amazing info!
Tom

14 Likes

Yes, it is my favourite elektron box for this very reason.

3 Likes

Im glad you said this because i totally agree - people seem to inferr its intimidating but i actually find it easier to come up with stuff than my P6 which has no menu diving.
Thought it was just me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t really call the A4 interface menu diving. Menu diving suggests to me something like trying to change the parameters without knobs on my Virus, where you are scrolling through a list of options one at a time on a tiny screen, or some kind of complex nested menu hierarchy. The A4 is more switching through pages of knobs which are intuitively laid out, without the cumbersome/long-winded/confusing flow that “menu diving” suggests!

7 Likes

Yeah exactly that. Each page has the controls you want/need and expect to be there. There is a couple of hidden little things - but again once you know theyre there its intuitive.
I just seem to have more joy with it than any VST, as you said.
‘The Elektron way’ just makes sense to me.
Except on the OT. Its bewilderingly featured and i have scratched 0.0001% of its capabilities - but the base way of working is still there for the simpler stuff.

I much preferred editing the A4/AK using the VST editor than on the unit itself.
The small AK screen is substandard for a synth of this design and is way too hard to read. The VST editor solves this problem and turns the AK screen into 27" for me.
I am also not a fan at all of the Elektron endless encoders they have use on all their instruments. The 2 way push / turn encoders are not practical at all in use. Standard pots would be much better imo.
It’s a pretty good synth but its design is not nearly as intuitive as something like a knobby Virus or Nord.

100%. AK is a killer synth, still finding new sounds every time I program it, but feels a little detached/un-expressive compared to tweaking on my Dom1/ms20/Volca keys… Feels fiddly/awkard/slow in comparison.

1 Like