A4 is good

I have the most fun with the A4 and digitone together by a mile. Wierd techno goodness. I legit love it. The A4 is so inspirational to me. Especially the way I like to just jam.

1 Like

I do wish it sounded more powerful or had more oomf than others, but hey… imo the hood outways the bad by far. And only time will make it just as I imagine… well I hope lol

Just for clarification by “others” I mean in general. I feel elektrons just have that kind of thing to it. Super capable but lacks the oomf

1 Like
  1. Go to sound manager
  2. Select bank by pressing corresponding trig button
  3. Press right arrow – menu appears
  4. Navigate to SELECT ALL menu item and press Ok btn. Then COPY TO… Done!
14 Likes

:black_heart: thanks. That happens when you neglect the manual for 7 years

6 Likes

That happens when the engineering department is writing manuals so painful to read that 1 out of 100 successfully complete it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Wait I remember you posting on the MD thread and finally you bought the AR. What happened to that?

Seems like awfully short time between learning the AR and buying another Elektron. You also said you needed money but ended up buying all of these machines lol

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/sold-analog-rytm-mkii-with-protective-lid-and-rackmount-kit/169707

I think this might answer some of your questions.

Oof gas is real

2 Likes

:laughing:

Not GAS. I was seeking a replacement for MD to possibly sell it because of current market prices and my poor financial situation. I got an AR, A4, a Drumbrute Impact, and a TR-6S. In the end, I kept the A4 even though I decided to keep the MD.

I’ve used enough Elektrons for enough years that learning enough to be dangerous on a new one takes a day or two. :wink:

Getting over some health issues, being paid for a project, and deciding to attempt to make money with the MD made selling the MD less of a thing.

4 Likes

Select all > load to Sound Pool.
Fast and simple.

This part I don’t understand clearly. What do you mean?
What I was saying is that I maintain this Bank P to be loaded when I create a new Project.
So there is nothing to check in my case.
Plus these sounds are correctly labeled, and carefully selected: I know them and when to use them.
I need this immediacy since I mostly improvise with friends ^^

Nice detailed answer :thup:

1 Like

I’ve had the A4 in my house for about two weeks now. On loan from a friend while he is traveling.

I owned one before, but as it was my first synth I had no clue what to do with it.

I finally got to play with it for a couple of hours, and I have to say it is absolutely mindblowing.

The sequencer, combined with the modulation options and the performance controls make it ideal for live techno & even harder stuff.

My intention for this year was to create a 30 min liveset with some Elektron machines. I think I found the combo I want to use for that:

9 Likes

Sick combo. You gonna use the DN for drums or the A4? Or no fixed division?

I am thinking DN for drums and pads, but I am going to experiment a bit on the go. It is a fun combo!

1 Like

Sounds like fun. Follow your heart dude.

1 Like

Thanks.
I was just stupid enough to copy whole banks by selecting all single 128 sounds by hitting yes repeatedly before copying to soundpool

3 Likes

ahhh I didn’t realize Punch was a waveshaper! Makes sense as they call it a “pseudo-compression” in the manual, and that’s technically what a compressor is doing at the end of the day.

Also the final output of the M:C is actually hard-clipped, I emailed Ess about that recently and he confirmed it. No limiter or anything fancy it’s just hard clipping

1 Like

I think it does a couple different things depending on the machine. With Tone and Kick it’s definitely a kind of waveshaper maybe with psuedo-compression too. Maybe a little bit on Snare, but I think it might just add that little splutter at the beginning that I’m on-the-fence about, but the alternative is a soft attack - so, too little or too much, your choice! With Chord it’s definitely not, just that psuedo-compression.

copped another MK2 in black for 850 with Decksaver.

it’s like brand new and indeed it gives another approach of working with the engine in comparison to the AK.

that sound tho, this MK2 quality :upside_down_face:

and I can definitely say that everything I wasn’t scoping so much on the AK because of the screen size with the sometimes, but still great, MK1 Algorithm on encoders, it’s like half speed, feels so pleasant on the MK2.

after the release of the syntakt and it’s core sound iam so glad with the flexibility of the A4 because everything is instantly melodic content, with a lot of signature :upside_down_face:
initially I was using the random lfo as a random note generator on chords, with slow down tempo and multipliers to a minimum to decrease the actual range to a few notes!
never did this before, it’s nice and in there

this is such a nice unit!

5 Likes

I’ve been having a blast with Syntakt lately, but needed to switch things up a bit so I grabbed my A4 mk2. And yep, A4 is good :slight_smile:

If the Syntakt is a set of high quality colored pencils, the A4 is 4 tubes of oil paint and a palette knife. The Syntakt gives great results instantly and is easy to work with, while the A4 is messy and can blend in unpredictable ways and is so organic. I made a little 16 step loop yesterday where I started with a kick. Then I stretched out the amp release so it turned into a combined kick and bass sound, then used an LFO and parameter slide trigs to turn that kick-and-bass sound into a rolling 16th note bassline. Then I threw in a couple of snare sound locks and made a performance macro that dramatically alters the sound when going from 0 to 100. The whole oil painting analogy feels really approriate when trying to balance the mk1-style overdrive right on the edge of self oscillation. It’s deliciously messy. Chef’s kiss 🤌

And I still have 3 tracks and 3 voices left to do similarly awesome stuff with!

28 Likes