A4 FX Parameters (In Depth)

My nerd brain finds itself wondering exactly what’s going on with the effects in a more in depth way - particularly with the chorus. You can do a lot more with it than just a chorus pedal effect - I’ve gotten lots of cool resonator sounds that border on physical modeling plucks as well as strange vibrato warbly things among others. I’d like to be able to mold it to my will, but this has led me to wonder what’s going on underneath the parameter’s surface. Some parameters:

-WIDESHIFT CHORUS-

PREDELAY: Is this the time between the original signal and the first delay tap? Is the time between all delay taps equal?

DEPTH: Is this the amount of frequency modulation on the delayed signal? What’s the shape of the frequency modulator?

WIDTH: How does this create a stereo image? What is different between the left and right signals?

FEEDBACK: It says it sets the feedback of the chorus taps, so this is like the number of chorus taps you’re hearing? Are these repeated taps pre frequency modulation or does each tap get progressively more modulated in frequency? Most importantly, what the hell is the difference between positive-direction feedback and negative-direction feedback? The two sides of the feedback sound completely different, especially at high feedback and short predelay times.

LPF: Is the filtered signal being fed back into each subsequent delay tap or are all the delay taps unfiltered until the LPF acts on all of them post delay?

-SATURATOR DELAY-

What sort of overdrive is in the saturator delay? I’m not great at differentiating different distortion types and I’m curious. Is it going for a saturated tape effect or is it more like clipping in a distortion stomp box? Or simple digital clipping? What do you guys think this distortion algorithm sounds like?

-SUPERVOID REVERB-

DECAY: How does the infinite decay work? How is it able to keep generating sound indefinitely - or rather - what keeps getting repeated? If it was continuing to feedback into itself I feel like the sound quality would degrade or become chaotic but it pretty much just freezes there.

SHELVING FREQUENCY and SHELVING GAIN: How does the reverb damping work effect with the shelving filter? Is this a more complex operation than a simple shelf EQ on the 100% wet reverberated signal?

Also, does anyone have any cool “presets” or sweet spots they want to share for any of these effects?

5 Likes