A4 for drums?

Bandersong, thank you, this is a treat, appreciate the example as well! Cheers)

No problem. :slight_smile:
I think every A4 user should know about this, I mean most of us are not using all 4 CV outs anyways. It adds a lot to the machine in my opinion

Very interesting thoughts in this thread…
Banderson - does that mean the kick /CV track would be on the CV track and you’d still have the 4 other normal tracks?

Yes.
If you had CV gear you could still sequence them too using the FX track.

Yes.
If you had CV gear you could still sequence them too using the FX track. [/quote]
wow bandersong…Thanks! this is pretty bonkers / sequencing via the FX track is beyond me right now as I don’t have any CV gear to try this out but I just cabled the CV outs to audio ins and experimented a bit with getting a kick on the CV track and it’s fat as hell.
I wanted a stereo signal so I outputted CV A to left audio in and CV C to the right, screwed around with the LFO settings and wave shapes and got some wacky kick shit going on.
It’s quite noisy and it’s strange hearing it with FX - I also got a mad ducking sound going too. No idea if I can replicate anything I just did but I will definitely experiment with it more to try and work out what’s going on.
Would you be interested in posting something more instructional on how this is set up - even though I read your original post about this I still had to fudge around alot to figure out how to get it working… or maybe I am just a ditz?
Either way… very cool so thankyou!

First of all I got this from the Elektron Users guide :stuck_out_tongue: thank that guy.

Anyways

MOST BASIC DIGITAL KICK
CV A SETTINGS FUNC+CV A

LFO 1 Settings

LFO 2 Settings

LFO DESTINATION

3 Likes

The A4 is THE analogue drum machine for the creative sound designer who wants to stamp their own personality on its sound …a toss up between that and the Tempest but, for me, choosing the A4 is a no-brainer, though some may choose the Tempest to have more outputs.
Unless you need more than four sounds hitting simultaneously the track count isn’t a problem thanks to sound locks and parameter locks.

2 Likes

i’ve been using A4 including drum sounds for some tracks - it works really well. The CV trick sent me on a pretty great trip to discovering how to get a very close 808 kick drum sound - quite possible by using a second lfo to double the wave form frequency of the first lfo for a short time. I’ve even gone as far as using an oscilloscope and a tr808 and tr-8 to experiment and get great results. Of course it sounds different in some situations but its possible to get there. For one track I even used the second cv for a pulse click and then eq’d it - but thats truly “bonkers”.

There is another cool way - the feedback mode for the oscillator - but then of course you end up losing one of the tracks.

Hihats and snares are also possible and some of the presets are a great place to start.

Yeah - i love it. It is a big challenge and in some ways a bit crazy since its easier to use a sample…but its so satisfying in the end.

bit more to it than that, (cr8000 schems) and something worth studying
if your chasing drums sounds from synths

1 Like

interesting sounds to be had here
akin to the cue feedback on the md UW
thanks all for the great tips!!!

[quote="“clunky”"]

bit more to it than that, (cr8000 schems) and something worth studying
if your chasing drums sounds from synths

[/quote]
I meant a little more abstract to that, but you can get HiHat-ish sounds out of snare presets pretty well just using an filter… Maybe not drum machine level, but for “Creative” drums

I really enjoy the AK for sharp, computery, sync modulated hats.

I get from totally electronic to bloody realistic drums out-there. To my big surprize ! Clearer and snappyer than any sample !!! Using an A4 + AK gives me less issues for tracks - but I’m thinking to add an RYTM.

I just logged in to thumbs up what Jasl says. The a4 is its own beast - you’ll get its version of the sound you want. But I think it’s a fantastic drum machine and the motions, plocks, Lfos and patch locks give you loads and loads of room to work.

I’ve got a few other drum machines to play with including the OT, so I usually pair it with one of them - usually the volca sample or - get this - an electribe er1, for more snappy hats and snares.

I notice that with the kicks, the results can be unpredictable if you put them close together or change patches on the same track, which is too bad. The rytm does it too, so it must be architectural. But they have lots of meat and lots of tonal variation.

I also prefer to drum sounds of the A4 over the AR, especially in love with the shakers/noise engine.

Maybe a little of topic, but would it be possible to use the CV out as signal for my compressor side chain input? Or will I damage my compressor this way? I just want to put a simple signal to create some pumping over the A4.

I could also route my kick separately out and then send to the compressor instead, but I don’t want too.

Anybody has any idea if this is possible? I know the CV is just a voltage signal. However, I am little bit reluctant to just try it before I fry my compressor.

1 Like

This is exactly what I do. Exactly. I figured if folks use the cv as a perc or route it in as audio it’s probably fine. So far so good. I dialed the voltage back to a minimum to be on the safe side.

I like it to use my TR-8 especially for HH, SD and BD and using the A4 for additional drum effects (plick, plock, blubb … - lol) - u know what i mean.

For just playing around I use the A4 as drum machine as well. So I only need an-all-in-one-machine to do drums, melody and pads. Very usefull. And a big benefit when I go to hospital next week for one month. I hope my A4 gets me in other spheres while being in healing process … hihi.

Shameless self promo https://sellfy.com/p/HYhN/

this sound set is pretty awesome. together with a pad controller and multi mapping it turns the A4 into a killer drum machine. in fact i like the percussive sounds much more then anything else out of the A4.

Successfully promoted.

Thinking of getting an AK to free up some tracks on the A4. Or the AR. Hm…