A4 External MIDI Sequencing Ability

I’m thinking of replacing my Digitakt with an A4 given the new firmware updates and what I understand to be the capability of the A4 for sequencing other devices over MIDI.

I have a Moog Grandmother and a Hydrasynth Desktop that I’d be sequencing. This means I’m only using two of the 8 available MIDI tracks on the Digitakt, which seems a little wasteful. If I could pick up 4 mono voices and still do some basic sequencing of the my other gear, that would be awesome.

So, I guess my question is whether or not I can do the following:

• Have sequences for each of the 4 synth tracks
  • Send a sequence out to the Hydrasynth
  • Send a sequence out to the Grandmother

Any clarity would be super helpful! Thanks!

You can do that. If you use the FX track and the CV to send out to Moog and Hydra. Would you miss the digitakt samples?

2 Likes

Maybe, but I think I can live with sampling in my DAW. It’s really weighing the loss of samples against the addition of the A4’s synth voices, I guess.

1 Like

Personally, I ended up keeping both. I use the Digitakt for all MIDI sequencing and sample playback (I use a lot of ambient and textural samples like choir sounds and lo-fi radio/news bites, etc) and I let the A4 focus on lead and bass sounds primarily. I find it easier and quicker to grab a sample quickly on the DT from my limited selection (which leads to happy accidents, and me “curating” my best samples due to the storage limit) vs. sitting there and scrolling through thousands of options in my DAW and losing inspiration. If I was forced to only keep one, I’d go with the A4. It’s just so powerful and unique once you really get deep with it.

1 Like

That’s a fair point and maybe something im overlooking. Maybe I just need to save up for a while and add an A4 later on. I just find the four independent monosynths with elektron sequencing super attractive.

1 Like

It’s great, it just isn’t as rich of a midi “brain” as the DT or OT which were designed with external gear in mind.

1 Like

With the A4 you wont have any p-locking capabilities for any cc’s/parameters on your external synths. The midi out is as basic as it gets.

3 Likes