A4 & Digitakt pattern sync & direct pattern change

There is no direct pattern change on digitakt…
There is direct pattern change on Analog four
When syncing them, and direct changing A4,
Will Digitakt change directly too?
Or will the pattern be finished first, before it will go to the other pattern?

No one?

I would assume no because of the digitakts program change bug when receiving program changes.

Bug?

There is a delay to either the digitakt receiving or executing program changes when coming from another source. It makes pattern changes happen like a bar out of sync.

:frowning: too bad

Yeah I heard Gaz Williams talking about this online recently. Defo a bug.

The only show stopper bug for me :confused:

I suspect that it’s not a bug.

The “problem” is that midi program changes needs to be sent before the current pattern has finished playing. So to be on the safe side (of midi jitter and physical signal delay) you can try sending the cc message like 1/16th early.

Other Elektron gear I’ve owned (AR+A4) has other sequencer change modes but it’s always “sequential” with program change messages.

1 Like

So When I use direct jump from my a4
And then sync it to my Digitakt
It waits till end of previous loop
And then changes the pattern of the Digitakt… (?)

I don’t think it’s a bug. Like I said the Analog Four and Analog Rytm has the same behavior, it’s always “sequential” when receiving program change messages no matter what pattern change mode you selected on he unit. (Unless newer firmware changed this)

Analog Four can be controlled to do pattern changes using a multimap instead of program change messages and that gives you the option to get the other pattern change modes.

1 Like

If I have the Digitakt be master and tell it to switch the Octatrack when the pattern changes the Octatrack changes at the same time as the Digitakt. If I have do the opposite and have the Octatrack be master and the Digitakt be slave the pattern doesn’t switch until one full loop later.

So which one is the bug? They are different behaviors for the same functionality, one of them has to be a bug.

Edit: I see you were talking about the direct jump functionality… I was talking about the pattern changing at the end of the loop not working FYI

2 Likes

Dont you have your ot on direct jump? I will do that with my a4

It’s a known bug that has been discussed across multiple threads. Digitakt as master program changes happen correctly. As a slave they happen late. This even happens when using Elektron sync

2 Likes

I have mine on 2/16 change (depending on the pattern)

Ok, I see. But I was replying to wouzer and he was expecting program changes to switch patterns in sync with direct jump on his Analog Four.

I was replying to your reply before wouzer’s reply.

He he.

1 Like

Using my Digitakt as master is yielding inconsistent results… On OS 1.04…

It sends pgm change, but most times I will have to send a midi trig from the digi to the a4 to get the pattern changing on the a4.

Do I want to upgrade to a newer OS? I want to avoid any unstable OS, as I’m trying to get together my first live set atm, and have a performance ahead…

Don’t know exactly what’s happening between your machine but in my experience 1.07 is far more stable than 1.04 was, especially regarding midi related stuff.