A4 as Audio interface - proper voice routing tips?

Hey all. I’m using my A4 in overbridge mode as an audio interface on my imac. I can’t seem to figure out settings which will prevent synth tracks on the A4 from going directly out the main outs, instead of routing through ableton alone. I can avoid nasty doubling, by making sure monitoring is off in Ableton, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to prevent the audio from the synth tracks from hitting the main output. I’ve messed with the voice routing to main/fx but can’t seem to hit a happy medium between zero output (everything off) and doubled output. Any suggestions on how to set up the audio routing on the device and in ableton live to get (a) post effects tracks recorded into ableton, (b) the main “1/2” output from ableton live sending just the output from ableton and not the synth tracks from that A4 directly.

Does that make sense? Any help appreciated.

Having this exact same issue, hard to find much on the web about this.

I have it working almost to my liking; using my A4 as an audio interface only (not the plugin.)

I had to go into global and voice routings and turn off the four track routings, and the fx routings in the A4 menu.

Then I played around with the Elektron audio setup page; turning on all the track’s individual inputs; and also turning on the mains out LR to the Analog 4.

Now I can run external instruments on 4 tracks with effects. No doubling or monitoring of the A4s tracks.

Only thing I can’t figure out is how to run the A4’s inputs into ableton; I turn on the tracks in the Elektron app and they look active, but no inputs show up as active in Ableton…

Next battle to try and figure out how to do the same using the A4’s plugin.

Alien Threadsurrection:

I’m also having trouble with using my AK as an interface in Ableton and I feel it’s likely an obvious thing that I am missing. Setup: AK USB into Ableton, headphones plugged into AK.

As I’m recording onto a second Ableton track alongside what is playing on the first track, a fainter signal is being recorded onto the second track with whatever I’m playing. So, for instance, I have 4 tracks of the AK recorded onto a single audio track that are being re-recorded onto the second track through (I’m assuming) the main out back into Ableton atop whatever I’m actually trying to record. Is there a setting either in Ableton or the AK short of disabling the voice/fx routings? I guess I’m just looking for a clean and easy way to record multiple Ableton tracks of my AK without the sound from other, non-armed tracks routing through the audio interface back into Ableton as if it were being output by the AK. Again, probably missing something simple here, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey, don’t fully understand your question. But two things that might be what you mean:

1. With Overbridge, you hear the A4 Mk2 main out sound via the midi track that you loaded Overbridge on. Same on AK? And then you can use individual audio tracks in Ableton multitrack each individual track. So don’t forget to mute the sound of the Overbridge midi track.

2. In the menu of my A4 Mk2 you can select/deselect which voices to route to main out. That way also Main Out can be used in Ableton to record the FX separately (fx hasn’t got its own multitrack channel).

Does this help your problem?

Not quite. My gut tells me it’s a basic audio routing issue in Ableton. The audio that is being monitored through the AK as an interface is being re-recorded into a new audio track in Aby. I’m thinking if there was a way to route incoming audio (from Ableton to the AK) to just the headphone output instead of the main out (and thus back into Ableton as an audio signal) that this setup would work as I am intending it to.

I would love to be taught the correct way to set that up but for the time being I’ve just gone back to my Focusrite which seems to be the easier solution for now. Thanks for your insight though!

Oh okay, this is about getting the sound back to the AK from Ableton, to be able to hear it through AK headphones? And then only the track(s) you want without doubling?

No experience with that, sorry. Hope someone else here has. Why do you need to use the AK headphones out?

Why not just headphones into your computer? And there’s no way to do what you want with Solo’ing or with selecting only some of the tracks to be audible? You know how to select/deactivate per track where it’s audio out is sent to? (Sorry I don’t know how experienced you are in Ableton, im not:)