A4 as a brain!

Oh yeah, I’ve considered the AK, but unfortunately is out of my budget!
Great instrument!

I saw a few around 650€…

Perfect size with 2 Elektrons above (not the huge AR/A4 MKIIs), almost same width. @Schnork you also have AR MKI ? (And OT of course).
Missing midi arpegiator…

Oh wow, 650€ that’s a steal!

And yes, I have OT mk1, AR mk1 and AK.
:elot: :elan: :3lektron:

2 Likes

Feels like the Analog Keys are going for real cheap because the typical groovebox elektronaut crowd doesn’t want/need the keys so opt for the slightly cheaper Mk1. Meanwhile the key ticklers will find 37 keys too limiting, and usually prefer a more knob per function interface.

I’m also seeing multiple AKs listed at around €600-650. Crazy to think they were going for €1500 5 years ago.

3 Likes

It also lacks Direct Change options, a deal killer for those who don’t want to live in a bar length jail cell

1 Like

3 AKs at that price here in France :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analogique/elektron/analog-keys/petites-annonces/

2 Likes

Wow that is a stupid low price, once A4 production stops the prices of AK will probably go like SFX-6 even though it wasn’t as limited production, the outputs, keys and joystick are very nice to have, it is my only keyboard (proper).

2 Likes

big plus for the desktop versions is that you can easily send them to elektron if there‘s an issue. More struggle with keyboard versions. At least for me.

Digitakt would do better if you don’t need cv.

What are you referring to here?

DT/DN note lengths are in step values.
OT’s have unsuable weird values with a few explicit values, and no snap to exact with knob press or Func + knob.

2 Likes

I understand now. I thought you were saying the OT had a better way of representing note lengths. If that was the case, I wanted to know what i was missing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts too

Some track a I use the digitakt just to sequence midi, it is a beast in that regard. Especially considering it’s step locking CC potential and step probability, up to 4 note polyphony per track also. Also one beast of a sampler.

1 Like

To add to this, with regards to MIDI polyphony:

DT - 4 notes, 8 tracks
DN - 8 notes, 4 tracks

1 Like

Already added by @qlamerand above. :wink:

3 Likes

Are you planning on jamming /improvising live or do you intend to build songs in a more deliberate way?

To my mind the Digitakt is the device of choice for you, especially if you don’t have a sampler yet. With what you have, a sampler can unlock a lot of potential — in terms of making & manipulating sampled sounds and adding textures that way, but also in terms of layering multiple sounds/voices from your synths (eg make a bass patch with your 0-coast, sample that and loop the sample, no make an SFX patch with the 0-coast, sample and playback that and so on and so on)

The Digitakt is also awesome for jamming I find, real immediate and a joy to use.

That said, considering you’re looking for a midi brain at a decent price, you could also consider an MPC One. Not as hands-on as a Digitakt (at least for me), but much more flexible and lots of added features that you may appreciate. Especially since the latest firmware update, the modern MPCs are really becoming worth a look.

Lastly, @avantronica suggested the Korg SQ64. I’d say that line of thought is also worth a consideration, something like the SQ or an Arturia Keystep Pro. Adding more gear can increase complexity exponentially and actually keep you from making music — if you feel at risk that that could happen, a midi controller such as one of the above may be the “empowering” option.

Personally for my money I’d go Digitakt or MPC One though, I think both are fantastic value-for-money and lots of fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the extensive answer man! I’ve considered a Mpc One in the past, but I feel it’s just too much for me at the moment. I’m also going to do some pretty noisy experimental stuff, and I don’t know if it is it’s cup of tea. Probably a Digitakt is more suited for the experimental thing, I don’t know…

Octatrack all the way…

5 Likes