A4 and CV outs question

it does work a treat btw, just tested it, you can get ‘gates’ per trig, just use the two envs and two half sqr lfos to serve as gates, remember to set value lin to zero then

i’ve only tried one cv pair, but it’d be easy to do four by using fast ‘half’ square lfos - it works !

edit: it’s prob okay to use just two envs as you are plocking the depths and you have two pairs of depths per trig

Nice idea, going to try it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

the lfo must be set to one shot i presume ?

no, half ! - it’s actually defaulting on the two envs to dest cva cvb cvc and cvd so i’d do it all on a pair of envs - use shape 9 with a short decay sus and rel to zero - then dec becomes variable gate length and depth becomes voltage - use lfos to mess/random things/trigs up a bit :wink:

just having insane fun with my Doepfer DE1 and four cv outs (one track)- the A4 is beautiful sounding but even this ‘average’ VCA is mind-blowingly lovely treated with a bit of elektron seq magic :slight_smile:

Awesome ! This should be documented in the example setups at the end of the A4 manual :astonished:

there’d be no room to include all the great things you can do with the A4 (& a bit of imagination) in the manual :wink:
it’s surprisingly quick as you only need to plock what you want, but it’s impossible to ‘read’ it (leds/trigs) easily as it’s on one track, there’s still a lot left to play with too with lfos, it’s a beast

How has the ND2 + A4 combo been for you?

As much as I love the A4, I’m looking for a trigger based drum solution to free up the 2 A4 tracks I use for drums. I’m considering the ND2 for my A4.

I prefer to make entire tunes with one Elektron sequencer at a time. ND2 seems like it is the best A4 add-on for this purpose.

Hi guy, I’m also a new owner of nord drum 2 and want to sequence it with my A4 as others mentionned previously.

I’m total beginner in CV. Can someone please tell me which kind of CV cable (with a link f possible) do i need?

i don’t have the nord, but something like this or better quality for longevity perhaps, but for triggering purposes i wouldn’t get too bogged down in fidelity issues

Thank you for the reply. I think i can trigger maximum 4 voices of the nord drum 2 right?

If so, do i need 2x cables?

two splitter cables, there’s only 4 cv outs
however
do consider how you will sequence those four tracks
cv track and fx track are obvious candidates for laying down easy trigs
beyond that you’ll have to get creative with the cv settings and envs/lfos or sacrifice two synth tracks to get an easy trig source for nord ins 3&4
either way - similar cables to that are the place to start

Thank you, i’m gonna try

In addition to the TRS insert cables, I suggest using a midi cable from A4 to ND, as A4 sends midi program change. It’s quite nice to be able to have a Nord Drum program automatically switch when your A4 changes patterns.

I use the CV track to sequence all 4 triggers, thanks to p-locks. You can sequence all 4 triggers on each step of the CV track this way. You get real good at copy/paste of trigs doing it this way too.
And this leaves the FX track open for FX p-locks.

I just spent a little more time with my A4 and ND1. Layering the big bass of an A4 kick with that nice hard knock of the Nord Drum brings great results.

2 Likes

That’s a really good point, i completely forgot about that CV stacking, it works great although there’s no quick visual overview on trigs status - value lin is so handy, the whole cv side is really deep - something it’d be nice to see broke out onto the OB editor

Adam, or anyone else who might know…
What cv setting do you use to trigger the nd so that you can p-lock the steps? I’m using the type: trigger and it sounds all four channels. I can p-lock the cv src but that just triggers from other tracks.
I have tried Value Lin but can’t get it to play any sound.
Any advice gratefully received.

Set the source of the CV triggers you do not want to send: as “FX”.
Then just use triggless trigs on the FX track. That way the FX track isn’t sending out of the CV.

1 Like

Ooh! I was so close.

Thanks Adam, it’s working a treat.

I sold a nd2 on here a few weeks back before in got my A4. Realised pretty quickly that I’d made a mistake. Found a good deal on a nd1 and now install good. I just really wanted just a kick drum track and this is a treat solution.

Thanks,

Wayne.

Awesome!

As great as the ND2 is, I think the ND1 is a better fit for A4.
You’re not paying for a lot of features you wont’t use (midi CC control, 5th and 6th voices, though you could layer those tracks but it requires tricky CV splitter cables.).
The added synthesis of ND2 is great, but I think thanks to the external input being p-lockable on the FX track, some pan and fx send p-locks breathe new life into the ND1. And since it is mono, you can run it through the cheapest of bass guitar pedals on its way into the A4.

I just wish the midi program changes were more instant from A4. It seems to follow the master pattern length in the scale setup. Kind of a bummer for direct jump if you switch the ND1 kit programs up a lot.

Anyway… Party on, Wayne!

I probably set a record for typos in my last reply… Predicted text for you.

Yeah, I’m happy the the nd1, the nd2 has some cool extras, Eq for one, that I’ll miss but as a cheap source of solid, and easy to dial-in percussion you can’t go wrong for the money.

My plan was to just use it for a kick drum but now I’ve got all four channels playing it would be criminal not to use them. I’ll consider some cheap pedals, not used any before … I usually fear change

Using overbridge with the analog four. I would like to expand my a4 with the norddrum using cv. But does cv work with overbridge?