A workflow question on sound vs coherence

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm …

Well okay. Never even considered that.

Are we saying, then, that in the 37-key segment (or thereabout), there just isn’t a product that is as functional as it is lovely? All a matter of taste and preference, of course, but still?

The filter cutoff knob on the 37 is about as functional and as lovely as it gets. :okej:

But it is the thing isn’t it… you can do a lot with mod matrixes and pages of parameters but having (nearly) everything on the front panel and leaving it at that makes a big difference to how you work with a synth, regardless of how it sounds.

3 Likes

Yes. It’s a fundamental difference, and one which I’d miss more than multiple tracks and fx and stuff. Just sitting down and playing, is still my most singularly enjoyable experience when it comes to music. I considered the Prophet 6 for this purpose, but love the Moog sound more.

Yes, from my perspective, that would be the case. And I also love the Moog sound but ended up with an AK for very similar reasons - then added the Minitaur to add some of my childhood sound preferences. Those two work well together.

It’s also the endless internal battle back and forth about how much to commit to/print early vs keeping options open. And of course how the OT fits/owns that. This is my eternal dilemma.

Decisions, decisions.

BUT, if the journey is the main goal, then it better be delightful :).

2 Likes

Lets be honest your options are all amazing instruments :slight_smile:
I have a P6 - it is definately a players instrument ( of which im not! )
But i would go with the sub 37.
Simplicity is itself the birth of the best creativity sometimes.
But i do love the moog sound so maybe im biased.

I love the Sub 37. I have it and a analog keys and its hard to say which I like more. I do find the Sub 37 more fun but maybe slightly less useful.

The Octatrack does not play well with it’s sequencer, FYI. Changing the presets via the Octatrack is damn near impossible to do glitch free.

The Roland FA-06 is not that much bigger then what you are considering. Great sounding synth with a huge range of sounds plus FX that easily rival my H9 (actually better as you can have 21 at a time) and basic sampler.
The linear sequencer is very attractive because you can set loop lengths for recording and just keep moving the loop to expand the recording.
Would go well with the OT because CCs can be assigned to control many parameters.

I think the size of my work space has some relevance here, so I’m including a picture to make it clear that this decision really has to count.

8 Likes

I’d add a Monologue and a few FX to this lovely picture…

Choose the sound you like most.
But I wonder if a mono synth would really fulfill your needs…

1 Like

That’s exactly where I’m at. Which is why this decision is almost philosophical.

1 Like

It would, if enough boxes are ticked. The Pro2 did not tick enough boxes, tho. Which says something about my take on features versus aesthethics.

1 Like

There’s a video of someone creating a full track out of just the Pittsburgh SV-1 Lifeforms Blackbox. It’s small enough to fit your work space and seemingly about as versatile as you can get for a monosynth (duophonic?). Add a small keyboard controller, and you’re set. Just a thought. They seem to sound really good, but I’m not sure if it fits your aesthetic?

2 Likes

Some fun (imo) suggestions for a tight space and budget.

1. Moog Mother 32 - moog sound. sequencer. can experiment with patching.
  2. Arturia Keystep - keys. fun little (polyphonic) sequencer.
  3. iPad - touch interface. endless sound sources for octatrack. can load up an iOS poly synth as well.

11 Likes

Dude. I’m touched by your commitment. I’ll be wiring over some karma to you, you’ve earned it for sure.

And it’s an interesting idea, certainly out of my tightly framed box.

3 Likes

It might. It has that 2001 feel to it, which I like (just saw Interstellar and loved it). I’m gonna check it out. Thanks for challenging me, I appreciate it.

1 Like

If they made a pro 2 desktop I would make it mine.

1 Like

Ha. No worries. When not puzzling over my own ever-evolving setup I have started to enjoy puzzling over other people’s ever-evolving setups. :relaxed:

I’m sure you could also buy/make some nifty stands to maximize desk space and improve ergonomics. I wonder if you could rig something like those cool Moog Mother-32 stands to get the M-32 above the Octa. If your desk is not too deep, you could even possibly have a little wall mounted shelf, maybe one of those “photo frame” shelves with a front lip on it, to put a large iPad on, and a tiny potted plant of course. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, man. I just felt the pull from modular. It’s the first time. But people tell me, once it starts calling, you’ll eventually answer.

I mean, if we’re going all iPad on this, Moog’s own apps are pretty good. I’d need a more solid keyboard, though. Need some of that Fatar action for my fingers.

2 Likes