A theory of Elektron's 2023 roadmap

Elsewhere:

Damnit, I didnā€™t even want to be a part of this thread. But here I am now, getting roped in!

4 Likes

gearhead QAnon - trust the plan

4 Likes

Weā€™ll never see the true, meaningful metrics but Iā€™d be very interested to see the general Electron product life cycle of sales vs a competitors and the impact on their P&L.

This ia a very sweeping generalisation but your Korgs/Rolands of the world release stuff and move on to next years new shiny pretty quickly (with some notable exceptions of course). To a large extent they rely on folk getting GAS and buying the next thing.

Elektron have been different and other than a small spike in output with the Models and the likes, generally have quite long life cycles while they support the products very well.

Iā€™d also be pretty interested in hearing how much of this DT stuff was road mapped when the machine launched nearly six years ago. Weā€™ll never know that I guess. But 6 years. Ooft - time flies.

Maybe weā€™re seeing a company really hitting its stride with guys who know how to eke every bit of power out of available memory. Kind of like the crazily good game developers of old and the things theyā€™d manage on a C64, NES, Megadrive, etc.

3 Likes

Maybe hair splitting but I wouldnā€™t lump Korg in with that business model

They are still selling the Electribe 2 and the 1st generation of Volcas - stuff from ~seven years ago

1 Like

And Roland has supported the 404 Mk2 very well too.

Iā€™m just being a bit lazy but our music scene is littered with products that are released and relatively quickly set aside as ā€œcompleteā€ or worse, abandoned under the belief they are done. You could level that at Elektron too depending on your take of the Models!

But the DT updates are probably an indication of a general direction of travel that Iā€™d expect to see more follow suit.

2 Likes

We are the roadmap makers, we are the dreamers of product rollouts.

12 Likes

Ha! F*cking brilliant

1 Like

Yes. This way the musician pool becomes less saturated due to peeps speculating instead of creating, so Iā€™m all for it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would love to see Elektron add more sequencer features like reverse, ping pong, euclidian, random and so forth to their hardware. I betcha they could do this with a major firmware update.

5 Likes

Apparently Octatrack MK3 is happening whether or not the haters and losers want to admit it or not! Saying that as a recent OT MK2 buyer, so no vested interest hereā€¦ But apparently a guy who knows a guy who was completely right about the Syntakt said so, which means itā€™s 100%. This guy is like Nostradamus for grooveboxes. They have been trying to shed the stocks of MK2s since fall sales ā€“ it all makes since. Trust in the plan.

Soft Digi MK2s to bring them in line with the Syntakt aesthetics (would have already happened if not for supply issues). They released this cool DT software update first to help retailers sell out remaining stocks first. But they will release another DT+DN update with the soft MK2s launch to boost sales.

More software updates:

Syntakt Compressor, Chorus, SRR/BRR, new percussion machines, polyphony, new modifiers including ARP.
Digitone Compressor, Arp upgrade, SRR/BRR and maybe machines for DN.
All digis Parameter slides

Rytm: 2nd LFO, Base width filter on sample, RAW (only if Syntakt sells well), DT sampling machines (only if DT update boosts sales enough), x12 plock pads (more likely to appear in future product than Rytm, but glaringly obviously good idea for them)

My unlikely personal request, is that they add a comb filter to every box

8 Likes

A new and updated Octatrack with OB support and new OLED screen and features would be awesome!

2 Likes

They should just add a comb to every box.

4 Likes

Classic :joy:

:joy:

ā€¦ Waveguide Resonator from the Volca Drum ā€¦

4 Likes

um ok

Sorry, just starting to find Octatrack predictions sort of goofy

been beta testing MK3 versions of everything for 11 years now.

4 Likes

Anyone could complain about anything!

CHAOS REIGNS.

1 Like