A theory of Elektron's 2023 roadmap

using a forum for ‘grooveboxes’ is pretty goofy dawg

1 Like

Hm? Are you implying that Elektron may plan to add a ‘groovebox’ to the forum?

It’s not even an argument, it’s a well-established fact in the industry. So you’re absolutely right, and any smart hardware+software company plans software updates to

1. Generate incremental sales and buzz
  2. Increase customer loyalty and engagement
  3. Embrace the fact that this allows them to ship unfinished products earlier and this beat competitors while moving units over a longer total product life cycle.

#1 is obvious and anecdotally, it can even be quantified in this forum, with users saying they’re buying Digitakt because of this 1.5 update.

#2 is also obvious - the number of paying customers who have paid a significant amount of money to this money-making business is responding to them with sincere gratitude for the firmware updates. I haven’t seen any NPS or customer satisfaction scored for Elektron but I’d imagine it’s well above average. They are good at this!

#3 can be seen in eg the Syntakt, where the initial “machine” set was fairly lackluster, which changed dramatically about 8 months later. And still today, you can see half-finished features like the Mod trigs which are likely going to make a lot more sense after more of their product roadmap has been realized. And you can bet that this will reinforce #1 and #2 too when that happens. :blush:

Note that I’m not trying to break Elektron down cynically here - they know what they’re doing and they’re quite good at it. I kind of f*cking love them actually.

5 Likes

If they add chorus and polyphony to the Syntakt I’ll be unable to resist picking one up again.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a real new Octatrack and remake of the Machinedrum both with modern features and OB support. But I’d be happy if Elektron just added more features to their already powerful sequencer that we have in modern Eurorack sequencers.

1 Like

Or it´s because the Keyboard Versions of Elektrons devices never really sold that well. As far as i remember the Monomachine Keyboard was rather a niche product decades ago and wasnt really sought after on the second hand market later. Same for the Analog Keys which was a Keyboard Version of the A4 and is also long discontinued now. I would assume that the DN Keys shares the same fate.

But im with you then it comes to „soft MK2s“. Its really impressive how Elektron has pushed the Digitakt in the last years. Back in 2018 i started a thread here on Elektronauts, asking people for their wishes for a Digitakt MKII. Back at that time it wasnt so unlikely that an MK2 Model could arrive. Today we know better :blush: There was no MK2, but some of the best Updates to ever come out instead. Maybe they extend this to other Machines too? Not so unlikely anymore …

Is Digitakt SRR/BRR on Syntakt the new meme a la song mode or are people just randomly pulling items that exist on other devices at this point for their wishlists?

I think most Syntakt owners who use their devices should already be aware that one of the more popular machines already has SRR & BRR.

Elektron tend to harmonize their products line, so imho asking for what already exists makes sense.

SY BITS BR and SRR is not enough for me, a SRR à la Digitakt would be welcome (post filter switch !).

6 Likes

It needs an update?

Gotcha. Global SRR/BRR is not what I understood.

In my approach, part of the magic of machines is picking which to use in a certain situation. I guess the more popular opinion would be to eject more of the popular machine specific parameters into global ones, but to me at least, that invalidates some of the use of different machines and affects how they differ from each other. If I was designing a device where having different machines was one of the main selling points, only to end up with people using 2 of the synth machines for every project, I would look at that as a failure on my end to create diversity.

Not disagreeing with you, just throwing that thought out there from the design perspective. People are obviously always going to be drawn to certain ones over others. I would like to see the lesser used machines brought up to par with the others to make people want to use them. That is more challenging & rewarding the way I see it.

1 Like

As much as I know its pointless speculation and who am I. I think Elektron should develop a nifty Box with everything we love, the crossfader, some „good“ Pads, the Sequencer and then sell custom machines all the way. Let the customer designer its own machine by providing just the plattform and a bunch of machines. Sample machines, sound shaping machines, drum machines, synth machines, mix machines…whatever machines. Get rich, thank me later.

this thread is golden

I want a Machine Gun machine…

4 Likes

ah yes……another instrument engineer/project manager LARPing thread.
in that case I’ll have a built in p-lockable talk box, and thermal printer to export my projects to sheet music.

5 Likes

It’s not weird to want SRR on every voice of Syntakt. Their last digital synthesizer drum machine had a lot more punch and crunch and that is missing in the lineup. And if you want to compare that to asking for song mode, I consider it a favorable comparison- song mode was a glaring omission to many people and they eventually fixed that. Bodes well for SRR!

2 Likes

Yes, a plockable midi arp with any destination

3 Likes

I don’t know what SSR does but it makes things sound cool(er).

Not sure if this was a joke, but just in case (since it took me a while to work out)

SRR = sample rate reduction
BRR = bit rate reduction (?) (not sure about the presence of ‘rate’ in this acronym)

1 Like

Yes it was a joke but what isn’t a joke I don’t really know what the SSR router lfo does but that makes things sound really cool.

Since I was summoned, I’ll take a USB class compliant microscope and a milk frother.

2 Likes