A synth sound I cannot figure out…

Hello everyone. I really want to better my understanding of modular synthesis. I got a prophet 6 about two years ago and I will soon be the owner of a Moog Matriarch✨.
Right now I’m taking songs I like and trying to recreate them from scratch. Being that I’m still a beginner, perhaps this may sound naive and in fact very easy to make, however I’m a little stumped as to how to recreate the sound of the synth at 00:15. Does anyone know how to recreate this sound or perhaps the synth it was modeled after? It reminds of a late nineties/early 2000’s song off a sega dreamcast game😂 any thoughts or bits of wisdom are greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Erik

2 Likes

Which sound? It sounds like at least 4 different sounds at once. It’s likely a rompler of some sort though, maybe a Yamaha XG device. Any of the 90s/early 00s romplers would probably have matching presets.

2 Likes

that choreography is sweet

2 Likes

hell yeah kyary pamyu pamyu. you could probably achieve that with an FM synth and a bunch of chorus.

1 Like

The synth line I’m talking about literally starts at 00:15 going from a Gb to an E and back.
I’m trying to see if I can make that sound, possibly on my prophet 6. Does anyone know how it’s made? I may try to find sound bites of synths you mention.

I used to really dislike this sort of music but recently something in my head just clicked and now I love it. Kyary is great for what she does, including parts of the cinematography.
But her producer Yasutaka Nakata I think is brilliant. I don’t even think he uses that great of sounds but the way he’s able to balance sound is incredible. I’m trying to learn everything I can from his production.

Yamaha sounding. Reminded me of the EOS and I bet you can find it here (I really think so!)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-qltiC_X5_Th7vfvtnY5g/videos

1 Like

The organ-style monophonic sound? You could probably get something similar on the Prophet by putting some resonance on the filter (so it just starts to get to self oscillation) and using keyboard tracking, then setting it to a harmonic of the fundamental. Also, use a softer oscillator shape like a triangle.

1 Like

Was their any specific video you were talking about? There’a quite an array of videos with different sounds

Yes the organ sound. Thank you for the info. I sort of have an idea of what you’re talking about, but I may need to read up on some of the steps you’re talking about, in order to fully understand. This all feels like a new language to me, I’ve been getting away with presets till now where I really want to figure out how they make these sounds.

Not really. It sounded like what the other member said about an organ patch layered/modified to your liking. I did up a sample wav file to help in the search hah!

2 Likes

Love it, thank you:)

I’ll have a go at it tonight on the Prophet~6. I’d start with a square wave, only one OSC, and use the high pass filter.
OSC sync might help. A bit of chorus…

I’m listening to this thru an iPad speaker so I could be a mile off.

1 Like

That I understand, I’ll try that as well

If someone got this patch nailed, can do an auto sampler and present to our friend here a new preset! :smiley: what a forum this place is going to be lol

1 Like

I am hearing a fifth, which contributes to that organesque character. Try mixing in second oscillator 7 semitones up (higher octave perhaps), lower harmonic sine/triangle, slightly…

2 Likes

probably fm electric piano preset, very basic, a sine op with a very subtle rhodes ‘tine’ sound from another op? as trackerjack says, it’s the 2-note chords that make it sound like an organ, not really the sound design. this is with ableton operator (+chorus) but you’ll get close with pretty much anything tbh.

6 Likes

Yeah, I totally hear what you’re talking about. I’ll try that. Thanks!

Wow Garf that sounds amazing. Forgive me for asking this but when you say OP, I’m not exactly sure what that stands for. Oscillator patch? Pulse wave? The OP-1 synthesizer?:sweat_smile:

No probs! Op just means operator which is the FM term for oscillator.

1 Like

Dang I think you nailed it

I can only add that a “plonky” sounds like this generally have ~0 attack, short decay and sustain in the 50-75% range. Or a slow decay (“piano” style) to 0% and a supplemental “bump” with another envelope or LFO to get the striking effect. In the Kyary song’s case it could just be a compressor, that producer (Yasutaka Nakata) tends to compress the love out of everything.

1 Like