A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

I wonder if it’s just a preproduction model. I’ll wait it out until the official release.

Did anyone happen to see anything from Novation? I thought I saw a teaser or something a couple days ago.

2 Likes

(Don’t think this has been posted already)

So it’s a ruler on the edge of the table explained with a flipbook (which is very cool).

6 Likes

Jesus Christ is UHE a great company or what? Zebra 3 looks to be absolutely incredible…again.

16 Likes

U-He are awesome, they pretty much set the standard. I’m personally more excited about the new version of Filterscape that’s incoming but I know Zebra 3 is going to make a lot of hardcore sound design nerds very happy.

4 Likes

Yes. That program as well makes me uber excited too. Must be close to release now.

A bunch of stuff

Every year at Superbooth Silhouette shows up to show some new development. The product takes images and turns them into audio. This year they’ve added a reverse feature to turn audio into images !

SonicState article

=-=-=-=-=-=

Latest news on the Osmose

SonicState article

=-=-=-=-=-=

Neuzeit Warp. I posted about this earlier, a wavetable with additive synth, but here’s a video :

SonicState article

=-=-=-=-=-=

MP MIDI This is a hardware interface for software products, it’s been around for a while, but it gets better and better.

Thread

SonicState article

2 Likes

The shown too soon dilemma.

At trade shows, companies face a dilemma with how early to show a new product. There is pressure to show what you’ve got, 'cuz we want to see it. And there is risk if you show it too early, people will either peg the product by the unfinished design, or be expecting the release soon, and think the company is not capable. And you paint a target on your back with the competition.

It needs to be said, products frequently take several years to develop, and can have schedules that are almost impossible to predict !

This year these products might be thought of as in the category of “shown a little early”, and may need a serving of tolerance from some of us : ( This is opinion, and not true for everyone. )

• Korg "Phase 5"
  • Erica Synths Steampipe
  • Modal Carbon8
  • Reliq Hybrid Control Surface
  • PWM Mantis
  • Aodyo Anyma Omega
  • Tiptop Audio ART series products
  • Thingstone Track8
  • UDO Super Gemini
  • Lambda Synthetics PolyPulse
  • Tasty Chips GR-MEGA

And Superlative is really sticking themselves way out-- showing a new product, the Monolab, when they are not done with another product they sold with Kickstarter, that is very delayed, the Space Bee SB-1. Both products are now in the “shipping very soon” category.

Actually from the inside, i am pretty tolerant of “too early”, but there damn well is a line, and you don’t want to cross it.

Last year some companies showed a product perhaps a little early, but have come through this year with it finished and are ready :

• Finegear Modmix
  • Finegear Dirt Magnet
  • Klavis Grainity
  • Expressive E Osmose
    And many others.

There are also other companies that like to wait, wait, wait, until the product is done, done, done, before showing anything, which has risks and faces criticism as well. Two of these :

• Ashun Sound Machines
  • Novation

And i won’t even mention the companies that have shipped too early !

I know i’ve missed a lot ( Polyend, SOMA, others ?? ) with these lists ( maybe i posted this too early ), so go ahead and fill a few in.

Behringer is not on the list, as they “don’t do shows”, but … well that’s something perhaps for another thread.

15 Likes

I had posted eariler about the Entropy & Sons video synth.

Here’s another, perhaps a little more fundamental, and perhaps a little more interesting for some here too.

Syntonie’s visual synthesizer combines the principles of audio and visual synthesis. It approaches video synthesis in a manner much more familiar to those experienced with audio synthesis. This synthesizer is purchased as separate modules or as DIY PCB.

I queued this video past a false start of sorts, but at the end you can go back and watch the start. ( Smart move by the Sonic State interviewer. )

SonicState article

5 Likes

Man this stuff is so cool. I’ve got a cheap projector that would be great to use with something like this while doing live shows.

3 Likes

Not as exciting but in terms of combing all those different bits of gear, something to be super excited about.

4 Likes

I know, not super exciting, but if you need this, you really will be glad you have it.

This is how you do business – this is a startup. You find a need, and you fill it. If it is your first product, find that super useful product that is within your capabilities and make that.

Smart.

2 Likes

Don’t know if you saw on their forum, but they’re looking at possibly adding in some of the old drum synth module concepts into Z3.

They also talk a bit of their new Eurorack module Wiretap (manufactured, but not in stores yet) plus another unnamed new module (dual mixer) used in their performance here:

The rehearsed version that didn’t quite make it to the performance stage

1 Like

I’ve never been on their forum. Are they ready for the jdaddyaz?

Thanks for the linkage. I had not seen any of the above.

1 Like

Definitely… Urs and team are very responsive but it’s hosted on KVR. It’s not as active and again, they’re definitely ready.

1 Like

Petit homage to stickers, a pervasive element at Superbooth and almost invisible online.

32 Likes

It once took Korg 10 years between early announcement (1995) and final product (2005):

3 Likes

Any Jomox Alphabase MK2 clips?

2 Likes

Pretty pleased with this years showcase and once again immensely jealous of those who got to attend.

I went in on the Make Noise Spectraphon preorders, will be keeping a close eye on the Thingstone Track8, and will wait for the Tempera price before deciding if I’m interested.

All-in-all escaping relatively GAS-free, but saw a lot of cool gear and was very happy with this years Superbooth offerings and coverage. I look forward to this all year and it just makes me happy to see a community discussing something I love. If you’re involved as a manufacturer, synth-news site, influencer, or just shit-posting tempura pics, you’re my shining star(s) and I love you.

Side note: I don’t see many people mentioning Make Noise will be releasing a new version of their CV Bus Case, complete with improved power and a revamped cv bus board that swaps out the mono external input for an attenuverter, similar to what’s on the 0-coast.

4 Likes

For me this is one of the most interesting and nicest sounding synths I’ve heard since the MEGAfm tbh. A lot of the usual polysynths these days don’t quite stand out much to me but this has so much interesting harmonic and layered stuff going on, it has a very curious organic sound to it. The sound demo Cuckoo plays at 28:48 is well worth a listen -

It feels like a synth that Daniel Lopatin (Oneohtrix Point Never) would love.

6 Likes