A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

They are having problems getting chips. It has hit them particularly bad. Have been emailing about a Bitbox mk2 since January…

Tats demonstrates the prototype at the end of this video. There was one other video where he gave a better demonstration of it, somewhere upthread (couldn’t find it on YouTube strangely).

The Phase 5 is very similar in design to the Magnetic Resonator Piano. I always thought I’d need to learn how to build one myself to ever experience it, but Phase 5 is strikingly similar (in a great way).

If a small product like the prototype they’re showing becomes successful, I could see them scaling up the technology to a full sized (flagship tier) electro-acoustic instrument. There’s a lot of room for improvement over what was shown, such as harmonic sequencing or arpeggiation, envelopes for individual/groups of harmonics, or electromagnetic dampening of the tines. They could also build in hammers or switches to strike the tines.

This research really reminds me of the work Paul Vo was doing with his Vo Wand and the Vo-96 electromagnetic resonator for acoustic guitars. Unfortunately it appears he’s no longer pursuing product development with his research, but is hoping others will take up where he left off

7 Likes

I’ve already caught that one, cheers for the heads up though!

If you mean the video I posted previously, none of MusicRadar’s blog videos seem to have made it to YT yet, I’m guessing they’ll sort that out when they’re back as they’re only a small team A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23 - #576 by jhaler

1 Like
3 Likes

is like solina divide with a physical member. i understand it extract frequency from member using filter but problem i think is cost for extracting from vibrating oscillator. is expensive i think when finish but good it is sounding alive.

Good you mentioned these two. There of course is a lot more of this sort of thing.

The Magnetic Resonator Piano was done by Andrew McPherson. ( see this post )

1 Like

seems to have a new display with a tiny tiny font, compared to mk1

1 Like

The Triggerpad from Crosspatch. They are a new company, and this is a clever idea.

A 6hp module, sends out eight sequences of dynamic tiggers, and has a USB interface so you can program it with a spare Launchpad or APC 8x8 grid device. It is capable of complex sequencing, and recording live input – watch the video for details.

The device is compatible with : Launchpad Mini Mk3, Mini Mk2, Pro, Mk2, S, and APC Mini Mk1. More to come.

9 Likes

Parameter record, sample record and screen seem new, I wonder if anything internal has changed…

1 Like

The Triggerpad looks awesome!

2 Likes

reliq-instruments showed there sequencer/mixer

15 Likes

WOAH that’s a beast!

longer display

7 Likes

“achieve perfect sync with your DAW”.

Ok this is intriguing to me.

Whoa! Anyone know if the audio matrix mixer can adjust gain for every connection (meaning different gain level from input 1 to output 1 than from input 1 to output 2) or just for every input/output? If yes, that could actually be the center piece of one’s studio…sequencer, mixer, daw controller :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Wow, if they get that right it’ll be quite something.

Real cool idea. I’ve never thought about it, but is there sequence-able matrix-mixers out there, besides euro-rack switches?

I think the Erica Matrix Mixer responds to program changes (or note numbers?). Tim Shorbridge did a nice demonstration of it some time back.

1 Like

Both of these products turned out a lot cooler than I was expecting. Was also blown away as the pricing was way cheaper than I expected. I’d love to use the mixer with djing gigs over a Pioneer. I love the fact that they decided to use cassette tape as the tape delay source. Cheap, and readily available, and if you want high quality tape, you can still get it.

9 Likes

The Finegear product threads :

Dirt Magnet

Modmix

Dust Collector

2 Likes