A NEW way to edit audio on the Octatrack

Very cool tip thanks !

Also realised that in rx 9 you can apparently host external plugins like in any DAW so that would mean you can process any sample with any plugins and render straight to CF card with this tip - something to try out !

2 Likes

This is a pretty damn hot tip. Need to see if something similar is possible with the DT, but I don’t think it will be. Probably unique to using a external storage card with the OT.

Just curious, any risks associated with card data corruption?

which izotope app is this? i looked they have RX9 now, but the advanced set is very expensive, is this part of ‘standard’?

Other than disconnecting during a save there shouldn’t be. This is basically the same as copying the file before editing except instead of replacing the old file by copying the new one in its place you do it by saving the new one in its place straight out of whatever software you’re using. Disconnecting the Octatrack mid-save would be the same as disconnecting it mid-copy.

The only real downside I can think of is that there’s one less safeguard against accidentally overwriting your original sample, since saving it in place is one keystroke rather than saving a new file, browsing to it in your OS, and then moving it back to the OT’s card. Seems like the faster workflow would more than make up for it if the computer is a big part of your sample prep.

1 Like

Wow. I didn’t realize that either.
That takes this tip the next level!!!
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Has anyone that has tried this tip had any issues?
I started getting concerned after this comment and considering if I should take the video down.

Yeah, been doing this since for ever. Can be a lot quicker/faster to use computer for audio / batch processing and manipulation.

This is just a shorter version of “copy to computer, edit, save, copy and overwrite to Octatrack”

You “shouldn’t” run into any issues so long as you are only editing the audio properties of the sample. Maybe a bit different if changing sample rate.

OctaEdit read/writes directly to the CF card (or your computer); and mitigates the risk with an auto-backup option.

More surprised cats are surprised.

At the end of the day, the Octatrack is “just” a Compact Flash host to read/write. Same as your computer.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get it but this is one of those “keeping the context focus on the OT while still adding low threshold features of the top audio software to it” - experiences for me and it made me very excited :grin:

This is a +1000€ audio editor for film makers and “pro audio studio’s”. It’s an expensive audio restoration bundle

But this should work with any audio editor. You can manually overwrite the wav file on the card if your editor doesnt do overwrite. I believe with Audacity you have to export to a new file. But just rename it and overwrite the original file in your browser/finder. It wont give errors or other issues as the card is disconnected from the Octatrack. Make sure you respect the bit depth, samplerate and length.

It works in a similar way as a DAW with an “external audio editor” assigned.

The reason why it works flawlessly with OT is because it is class-compliant and doesn’t rely on the Transfer program like f.i. the Digitakt. It’s nothing new. It’s a +25-year old computer feature :slight_smile:

I do wonder what will happen with slice markers made on the Octatrack… Are these written to the WAV or included in the project file?

1 Like

The video is dead

Probably because he got paranoid as he was using a cracked version of the program most likely :slight_smile:

Hey everyone who watched my last video, it has come to my attention that this could create data corruption issues. I cannot completely confirm this but I didn’t want anyone to have issues after trying something they saw in one of my vids, so for now I have taken the video down.

If you really want to see it DM me and I will send you a link

1 Like

See my latest message. I was afraid folks might have data corruption issues on their CF card

Not written to wav. Project file.

2 Likes

I am just using the standard RX, not advanced.

When I had the OT, I never exoerienced corrupted data when doing this. Perhaps Izotope program is writing some code to the wav?

Also, what do you mean by “corrupted data”?

It shouldn’t generate issues if you respect the bit depth etc… Check the izotope prefs. Perhaps it auto saves to 32 or 64-bit or something

People are grown up enough to decide if they wanna take risks or not i guess :wink:

1 Like

I honestly I don’t know exactly what I meant about the data corruption. Just got a little spooked that I could be showing a bunch of peeps something that could mess up their card or data.

If no one seems to really be having an issue with it, I will consider putting the vid back up.

You can get RX9 standard for $159 on plugin Boutique. The advanced version is indeed big bucks though

@J3threejay

I used the OT and MPC in a similar way to your video, an old post from 2018:
OT MK2 + MPC Live Killer combo
I have never had any problems with data corruption so I wouldn’t worry about that.