A new synth for this setup

I don’t really like these kind of threads, I find them quite nonsense, because it depends on the individual. On the other hand, I find it pretty nice to read alternative ideas to find a solution.

Now I have Octatrack MKI, Nord Drum 2, Machinedrum MKII (non-UW), Lyra-8. With this setup I have different templates, thanks to OT’s Parts. For example, I use the OT as a looper and fx chain for the Lyra-8 or as a midi sequencer for the ND2 and MD. In this scenario I don’t play the Lyra-8 live, instead I just play a Lyra-8 loop from the pool and this is the only synth source for me… well, if I don’t use the MD like a poly synth :slight_smile:

I thought about selling Lyra-8 and buying something like A4 MKI or Digitone, since it’s not really versatile, but there is something special with the Lyra-8, which I can’t describe but the users will definitely understand me.

It might be unnecessary to have the MD and ND2 at the same time but it’s not easy to find a ND2 and it plays well with the OT. It just sounds really wide and organic. Its synthesis capabilities are vast. I mean, I can’t sell it.

Then I’ve found this MD MKII for 600€ and I thought that I had to buy it and I got it. It’s a special instrument, I control it via OT midi arp. But to be honest, ND2 sounds much better than MD, even though it only has 6 channels. Well, I love the 16 freely assignable LFOs on the MD and I use them very often! This way I can achieve some interesting sounds.

Now… I should sell a gear to buy something else (like Digitone or A4) as I don’t have a place and I’m a fan of minimal setups. It’s clear that the OT is a keeper and the ND2 as well. I need a synth or a sound source that I can also get some intense low end.

I can sell the Lyra-8 and as I have been reading that MD is a good companion for the A4, I can keep the MD. On the other hand I already have the ND2 which offers far more control than the MD and sell it, so I can keep my Lyra-8 and use the A4 or Digitone with ND2+OT.

Well, what are your thoughts or recommendations?

If you don’t absolutely need to sell before adding something, that’s always the best way to do things because then you can assess the new thing alongside all your other options. By the sounds of it, you love and use all of your current gear. Maybe save up longer if you want to add something else. Also, on A4 and DN, they sound wildly different, so which interests you the most. Also, as you already have many flavours of Elektron sequencing, why not go for a more one-knob-per-function synth like a DSI or Nord?

4 Likes

Q: What do you feel your music is missing? What do you hope to add with a new synthesizer?

3 Likes

If you dig, you can get serious low end out of the ND! Smooth, rounded, deep sub bass. In my experience bass and mono lines on the ND do need some subtle compression, even better on the end of dry signal plus fx send channel with overdrive and or chorus, whatever suits the track.

1 Like

@craig You’re right, I can just add another synth to see if it works for me and then sell something if I don’t need it anymore.

I agree that A4 and DN are completely different synths and I don’t really need another FM sound source, as I already have ND2. But I actually don’t like the sequencer of MD. There is something special with its swing, but I use usually the OT as the main sequencer for it and for the ND2 which needs 6 midi channels.

@finalform, Good questions. It should do some nice, rubbery bass, but not so farty. I record sometimes Lyra-8 and use as a sample for this or for the pads. It works for now, but it’s not my favourite workflow.

Yes! I’ve got really subby kicks with it and its low end sounds almost analog from time to time but I didn’t really focus on bass lines on the ND2. I should spend more time with it, thanks!

1 Like

Like many, I’ve been one that’s really enjoyed your jams/sounds in the Current sounds from your gear thread. When you got the MD, for me it seemed you ”got it” right away - didn’t miss a beat while integrating that into your setup. Good snippets just kept on coming. So to an outsider it looks like you don’t need anything. Maybe some time to turn those single patterns to more full-fledged tracks - if that’s your goal to begin with.

Even though your MD isn’t a UW version, 600€ is an absolute steal! Don’t necessarily expect to find another one at that price. Lyra you can ”always” buy again. Then again, life’s too short for FOMO, so if you feel like your setup is lacking somehow, you don’t need our permission to change it! :grinning:

Whatever you decide to do, I’m interested to hear where that takes your sound cos there seems to be something in your music that aligns pretty well with my taste in music.

One more thing: I think your current gear can definitely give you the low end as well. I mean, some Lyra sampled into OT, played at half-speed with some distortion and LP filter - BOOM!

4 Likes

Select the softest click. I have access to an ND3, not ND2, but the ND3 has a few synth parameters than the ND3, which has reverb and delay sends (more useful for live IMO)

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it! I’m a fan of your jams with the MD GND machines! But, as you say, maybe I don’t need anything as a sound source for now, except something like AH for the master bus.

2 Likes

That’s the route I would go. :thup:

2 Likes

The thread about the DSI Evolver reminded me of how I loved the capability of it. I’ve never bought it but I always thought that it could be really fun to use it. And thanks to that thread I started to think of selling the Lyra-8, then buying the DSI Evolver, which is like €450 in Germany. I just like to use any kind of gear which is forgotten and whose potential is not fully utilized. Nord Drum 2 is the one and DSI Evolver could be another one for me.

MD-DSI Evolver-ND2 and the main hub is the OT. Much more versatile than my current setup with the Lyra-8.

2 Likes

I’m always tempted to sell Lyra but every time I switch it on, I have a blast. However, I totally get where you’re coming from and my advice will always be do what feels good.

2 Likes

I did the same thing 3 times! Last month I almost sold it and was waiting for the Paypal payment, then I thought that I had to play with it for the last time, then well, it happened! I apologized and said that I couldn’t sell it :smiley: But this time I really decided to sell it. It just sounds really very good. But sometimes, I feel that it sounds far too good and there are already lots of nice recordings. There is still a lot to discover for sure, but as I said, I like the idea of using a synth which is not as attractive as others anymore and discovering it further.

Yeah, I’ve been there. Eventually sold the Lyra and haven’t really missed it because my mindset with music is often release-oriented, even if I never physically release anything. :grinning: As much as I had fun with the Lyra, it rarely served a key role in the songs I ended up finishing. And since I have a ton of fun with all my gear, Lyra became expendable.

In other words, I totally get your situation, @trytykee. (I swapped the Lyra for a Subharmonicon myself.) Only you know where you want to go with your music. I do have to repeat what I said earlier that your jams have been really awesome and I haven’t missed the more conventional synth sounds in there.

1 Like

well, you’re kind of all over the place, really… seems like you want a change but are otherwise happy with most of your gear. you haven’t really expressly stated what it is you’re trying to achieve or what isn’t working with your current setup though. if it’s just “I want to try something new out” and you have the ability to, then have at it. new gear can definitely yield inspiration and take you down new paths. the Evolver is a great place to start for something like that, as it’s small, relatively cheap, and has a lot to explore. (MD + Evolver… this reminds me of one of my early setups, circa 2003-ish…)

I had to look this up, as I didn’t know it was that much of a midi hog… are you simultaneously parameter locking that many CC’s on the ND2 that you need to use the individual channels option, instead of the one global channel?

2 Likes

@chiasticon, I usually play each ND channel chromatically and map the CCs quite often, modulate them by LFOs…etc. With the one global channel you’re really limited in what you can modulate via CC.

@korpinen, thank you, I appreciate it. I think that DSI Evolver will be pretty fun for the unconventional textures :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely! And the way I was using Lyra my thinking when selling it was that I could do those kinds of subtle textures with basically any synth and the Octatrack. I wasn’t really using the crazier side of Lyra all that much.

1 Like

good to know, in case I ever have an option to check one out. that sucks that it’s such a midi hog, and that could seriously derail consideration of using it within my setup.

I feel like it will sell no problem if I do decide to sell it. Here I am all pissed off because my Polyend Tracker was supposed to be here today and of course the USPS is saying it’s going to be late. That’s all they’ll say. They can’t even tell me where it is. No tracking history other than it being picked up. Sorry if I’m derailing your thread but you just got me thinking about buying and selling and how ridiculous it all is. The one day I wasn’t gonna be busy and now it’s “arriving late.” I’m tempted to get rid of my DT and DN since they just sit there while I use the OT predominantly. Also just got the Field Kit to partner up with my Field Kit FX. It’s gonna be a fun summer! Summer of noise.

1 Like