A little reverb

I’m hoping to distill the abundance of information in the myriad posts relating to reverb units into one comprehensive thread:

What reverb unit(s) do you currently use? Impressions?

What have you used in the past which you can provide first-hand comparison?

I have a second-hand ($30) EHX Holy Grail Plus (digital) I use as a line level effect through my mixer. I use it in “spring” and as a master effect I have it blended 100% with about 60% amount. It sounds nice but I think there might be a better option out there.

So I got a vermona vsr 3.2 ($330) which is a week old, so I could hear an analog spring. Most of my experience is with fender amps and first impressions of the vsr are it doesn’t sound as smooth as a fender spring tank, and I prefer the EHX.

As for the Vermona, you might be able to swap the spring, and they aren’t that expensive. Maybe see what spring is in the Fender and get one of those if it is possible.

For a recommendation, I used to have a Strymon Flint that I liked. The reverb algorithms were nice, and there is a spring mode in there. It is also a tremolo pedal that I think were modeled after amp tremolo’s, so overall, it may be able to get you closer to the Fender sound, but I can’t say for sure.

It’s all about context isn’t it?

For low mix, killed low freqs, density reverb over my OT’s main output (pre Heat), I use Eventide Blackhole.
Space would also suit here.

Though I would eventually like to, instead, use a Source Audio Ventris.
Ventris’ parallel dual stereo reverb, running plate on one processor (so good on drums) and another density based algorithm on the other (modverb?)… could be even better, and frees up OT FX slots as you want hear any dark verb behind heavily eq’d reverb on a master output at a low mix setting. So FX slots can be used for EQ and compression, the stuff that makes a mix pop.

For synths I’m all ears for any pedal that can do what NI’s Raum does.

Euro wise… Audio Damage’s discontinued AEVerb is based on EOS, which uses a Valhalla algorithms. Usable on just about anything .

Some good recommendations here as well:

4 Likes

Also, never underestimate the utility of a cheap second hand A4 MK1 or Digitone, for sole use as FX processor.

A4 MK1 with its easily sequencable FX track and input oscillators. Add some filter drive and fm with pitch tracking and you have a monster of an FX box with analog filters that can track pitches, and p-lockable FX with LFOs.

Costa about as much as many Strymon offerings. A different beast but worth exploring for unconventional means and you get a bonus groovebox for your lunch breaks. :wink:

15 Likes

Oto Bam is the one hardware reverb I have. Really like it and love how you can drive the inputs to get a diode clipping style distortion.

I don’t have much experience with actual hardware though. I like the Ableton Hybrid reverb, Valhalla, and Fabfilter Pro-R. I demoed the GoodHertz reverb they have and it’s really good if you’re looking for lofi reverb with bit crushed tails.

I did try the Polara reverb by Digitech and wasn’t impressed by it. Like, it definitely sounded good and for performing I’m sure it’s great but in studio use I didn’t get anything out of it that I couldn’t get from Valhalla Vintage.

1 Like

A Lexicon MPX-1 is presently the main send reverb on my mixer. However, other old rack effect units are used to replace or supplement the MPX-1. Some of my favorite alternatives include the following:

• Alesis MidiVerb II
  • Alesis MidiVerb IV
  • Alesis Quadraverb Plus
  • Digitech TSR-24S
  • Lexicon ALEX
  • Lexicon MPX-550
  • TC Electronic M-One XL
  • Yamaha REV100

The MPX-1 is a good reverb option, if a person likes the Lexicon sound and does not want to pay an outragous price. The ability to combined other effect types is also handy for added spice. Overall, the MPX-1 is not as fancy as some of the more recent digital reverbs on the market, but suffices for my needs in most situations.

That said, I tend to love the sound of cheap vintage effect units, and have collected many devices over the years. Most can be found very inexpensively. Their reverbs are commonly not realistic, but work well with the music I create.

As a side note, my first reverb unit is a Radio Shack Realistic Electronic Reverb. It absolutely sucks, but I will never sell it.

5 Likes

Ventris, every algo is useful and different enough not to be a gimmick. Synth and guitar input friendly. Dry thru is 100% analogue thru.
Bam, Though some say all the algos sound samey, I think that’s because the parameters are so effective that it’s easy to get some crossover. I particularly like the way the effect blooms in even at minimum pre-delay setting.
H9, I’m not a fan of its reverbs. Hate me. They work well, but it kills the soul of the dry thru, so I would probably stick to using it on the mixer fx send.

2 Likes

The most beautiful sounding hardware reverb I have ever heard is the 1978 by Chase Bliss and Meris. Just awe inspiring movement.

2 Likes

My current faves:

Meris Mercury 7 (w/Polymoon before it sounds absolutely gorgeous)
Alesis Midiverb II and Quadraverb GT (in series)
…and as @AdamJay mentioned, the standard Elektron reverb is often exactly what a sound needs.

Some past notables:

Boss RV-5
Lexicon LXP and MPX series
Caroline Meteore (trashy in a good way)

5 Likes

Walrus Audio Slö 100% wet

I’ve an immerse mark 1 - the detune (chorus) reverb is crack for your ears, truly mega. I use this if I’ve all 3 digis hooked up.

Like some mentioned above, most the time just now I’m only using my SY so I run that through the DN effects and that’s more than enough for me.

I’ve tried a fair few, love me a good reverb!

I think my favourite reverbs come from Valhalla Supermassive. Which annoys me a bit because it’s free and I own a Strymon Starlab :rofl:

Starlab is very good, it’s a reverb laboratory though - good for sound design but if you just want a nice simple lush reverb it’s sometimes a bit much. I had a Desmodus Versio previously which was a lot more pick-up-and-play but it has a lot of its own (good) character that might not always be wanted - it’s like the reverb equivelant of a Dreadbox Erebus.

For really simple euro reverbs I tend to turn to MI Beads - it’s just a single trimmer pot but Émilie really nailed it.

Digitech Polara is a great choice for a simple pedal - I have one for pairing with thigns like my Prophet and until recently the Lyra-8.

Oh and Zen Delay - yes it’s a delay but with the right feedback and a tight repeats on a tape setting and you can get real nice space out of it - mine lives on the output of my Digitone.

7 Likes

Strymon Starlab. Whatever you put through this thing… It sounds absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

+1 for Supermassive!

5 Likes

since i’m crazy for downsizing, i don’t use dedicated reverbs, multiFX only:
Zoom MS-70CDR [hacked]
Korg NTS-1 [with 3rd party plugins, mostly Sinevibes]
for the price they sound excellent.

also, using half-rack Boss VF-1 at home.

1 Like

OTO BAM: The most polite, agreeable, and traditionally beautiful (“cinematic”) reverb I use. It has a sort of grey, clay-like texture, really smooth smearing, doesn’t impart too much of its own texture, blends well with the source material and sits nicely in a mix. Nice subtle tone-shaping facilities with the filters and gain controls, and the through mode is a nice tone-shaper. Overall, very well-behaved, though being able to play the size knob is a cool weirdness bonus.

Erbe Verb: Wild, a little angry but versatile. It wants to be guitar feedback and an atonal oscillator as much as a reverb. Very colorful, often a bit trashy (in a good way imo) - there is a harsh edge that you can dial away somewhat with the EQ but it’s always there. It can have an ocean/marine flavor at certain spots (with longer sizes) that can give a great lo-fi/retro flavor to e.g. pads, in the neighborhood of a spring reverb. But it’s most enjoyable when abused with CV modulation (hit it with those 10v envelopes).

Quadraverb: Very nice for pads, particularly the room and hall. Has a particular recognizable midrange response and pitch modulation that is a big part of the 90s WARP sound. Between BAM and Erbe Verb in terms of coloration, often just right. A couple of algorithms expose “diffusion” and “density” parameters which are very interesting to play with, especially with sparse percussion - it goes from unrealistic skeletal pings to empty swimming pool to massive painterly smears. Generous MIDI implementation for tweaking and surprisingly decent UI for being of the shameless LCD menu diving era (pressure-sensitive buttons help).

7 Likes

i kick myself every day for selling my Boss RV-6 and am acquiring a new one as soon as i can. i love the way the damn thing sounds on shimmer mode with the tone knob (and thus the shimmer itself) turned almost all the way widdershins. nice subtle glowing effect , and i dont like shimmer on much anymore (it sounds out of tune as fuck to me unless very light)

1 Like

The vongon ultrasheer is another breathtaking reverb that is fairly simple with a pitch shifter vibrato that can add some shimmer like ambience. The whole thing put together sounds just like records in the 70’s.

@AdamJay Would love to hear any Blackhole tips you have to share. That’s my only reverb pedal and I feel like I haven’t quite cracked the code to getting what I want out of it.

@license That’s a good take on Erbe Verb. It adds a lot of texture, almost like a noise source layered in with your sound. But it can be really pleasing and unique, and has a ton of CV inputs to play with.

Also want to agree with @natehorn re: using Beads as reverb, it gets the job done and sounds great. I like switching between the different quality settings to get different reverb tones/lengths.

All of that said, I use the built-in Elektron reverb more than anything else. I pretty much always dial in the base-width filter to a pretty narrow range, then turn up the decay and shelving gain a bit. Sounds great to me.

2 Likes

I like the Empress Reverb, it offers a lot for a tiny format and very solid build. Even some weird modes with dropouts, I like it a lot. Very good point: it has a dry/wet but also a master volume, that you can either use to boost a sound or cut it. Very handy when it’s at the hand of the chain in live setup.

I find Eventide Space can make anything shine. But you can also go dirt. I don’t need all the algorithms but I enjoy the knobs.

Valhalla is of course a classic. That’s the one I’ll use on the computer, I can’t see the need for another one. Don’t hesitate to drop its creator a little money :wink:

A second hand A4 mk1 is also a very good idea, I think the reverb sounds good and you can use each track to add different flavors of distortion / filtering on the incoming source…

I dislike Strymon Reverb, it felt sterile to me, somehow. Not my thing.
Would love to try a Ventris and a Meris Mercury 7 one day…

3 Likes