A lesson for electronic musicians?

not sure how it equates to a ‘lesson’ for electronic musicians. it’s awesome. there are many examples of acoustic instruments being ‘techno-like’

these patterns make me think of techno… or squarepusher.

7 Likes

From time to time we have vocalists that can sound almost electronic too.

4 Likes

I’m hardly a shamisen expert, but I guessed correctly that this is Tsugaru style. One distinguishing feature is the percussive tone of the plectrum striking the body.

“Year Tsugaru Shamisen World Tournament, Women’s A-class champion, Ai Shibata’s performance”

I learned a little bit about Tsugaru shamisen from watching this film, which is set in Aomori, where this style originated, and looking up stuff related to the film

3 Likes
5 Likes

I saw King live, she’s great.

I guess one lesson is holding the listeners interest with a single contrained instrument, rather than needing a pile of gear. Picture going up there with a mono synth and doing something like that.

3 Likes
10 Likes

…wooooow…i hear heaps of super nice next new little sample snippets here… :wink:

time to heat up some utube sources again…

3 Likes

yeah… i hear ya… have seen people get it done w/one machine. a drum machine or a synth… just wreck it in a great way.

1 Like

this reminds me of autechre’s LP5 and EP7 a little bit. perhaps Peel Session 2.

1 Like

Yes there is.
I listened years ago to an album called “the demons of bali” which was if I remember correctly, composed by two Swiss or German and played by Balinese. They also made me feel Ae. I tried to find them on YT without success.

1 Like

I had a similar thought on the AE comparison.

1 Like
6 Likes

Oh great, that’s it.
My deviant mind had changed the title in my memory …
Thank you.

Another in bonus

3 Likes

I think Elektro Guzzi deserve a mention here:

4 Likes

I love Gamelan music. Many happy memories of various islands in Indonesia.

3 Likes

A performance of “Aiya Bushi” which is part of the Tsugaru shamisen repertoire. The rhythm has a distinctive, halting quality about it. Could sound interesting layered with a hip hop beat.

2 Likes

Killer stuff above here… but what about this -

Not really techno but quite a very mechanical guitar playing

1 Like

And this:

1 Like

that was some maggot brain funk

I was reminded of So Percussion

2 Likes