A humble request to keep new product threads separate/Craig’s beard

Just thinking out loud really but when products are launched together, can we have separate topics for each one, please? Cases in point, the MC-101 and MC-707 thread and the MPC Live and MPC X thread. In the latter, there are now 6,000 posts! But say I was interested in the MPC X (I’m not btw), I would have to wade through probably 4,000+ posts of irrelevant stuff to be able to read about the model I’m most interested in. It’s too late for those threads now, of course, but in the future it would be awesome if we could separate them and maybe add a third topic for ‘Vs’ threads. Anyway, just something that occurred to me to make things easier to follow on here :pray:

17 Likes

Totally off topic, but I’ve been kind of wanting to start a , “who thinks Craig’s beard is way bigger than it actually is,” thread. Because I’m usually on my phone your scarf blends right in and looks like a massive Dwarven number. But clicking on the thumbnail reveals, “nope, normal facial contouring beard!” :slight_smile:

On topic: Yes! 100% agree about the annoying aspects, although I’m sure this has been a long debated headache of moderators everywhere. When would be the appropriate separation point for two products announced together that could be months out…?

Maybe just do the combined speculation thread and then start two separate ones when units begin to ship?

Then a versus? Although that would be four different threads it would totally make parsing all the information way easier.

16 Likes

And a fourth thread with all the comment about how Elektron gear is superior to this product.

6 Likes

It often occurs post facto, it’s hard to anticipate before things settle in.

I think it makes sense to keep some things together — the two Hydrasynths, Desktop and Keys are very different, and yet it seems natural now that they sit in one thread.

I do think it makes sense that when appropriate that we’re willing to change mid-stream and start a new thread. I don’t recall exactly, but the MC - 707/101 thread started when they were announced together and was mainly about one or the other. I guess when someone realizes there’s a reason to split things, they need to take the initiative, start the thread and let everyone know.

Some things just happen and it’s good that we can collectively consider what we’re about.

It’s also nice when things happen collectively, rather than running the moderators ragged trying to apply some order.

2 Likes

Emergency! This is Red Fox! I’ve been made! I need an extraction as soon as possible!!!

5 Likes

To get back on topic, I just clicked on said thumbnail, and now I can’t unsee it. I always thought of @craig as Gimli with Glasses, but no…I humbly request this thread be renamed “A humble request to keep new product threads separate/Craig’s beard.”

4 Likes

Your wish is my command! :joy:

4 Likes

Shiiiiiiiiiit.

Turns out your magnificent beard is a lie!
Nothing makes sense any more.

Also, hasn’t adding a second subject to the thread title turned you into everything you hate?

This is so meta I can’t handle it.

9 Likes

I support any suggestion that would make the browsing here more interesting, including scarf beard (someone please do a scarf with a Gimli beard printed on it. Wait, it must exist already).

For any new gear appearing or update, we have similar posts or threads

• speculation
  • announcement
  • enthusiasm / bashing
  • features description, tutorial, focus on a particular feature, tips & tricks
  • info request and answer
  • contest, event

I don’t see a way to enforce some separation between relevant and irrelevant information, though, even as a mod.

3 Likes

Perfection! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

:joy::ok_hand:t3:

I must admit I too thought your beard was a whopper

3 Likes

Well, it now seems that my staying at home because of COVID has a new purpose. Grow beard until it gets in the way of my Elektrons :slight_smile:

Side note: my girlfriend approves. It’s on!

5 Likes

Thank god. I can’t unsee the short beard.

4 Likes

IMO Craig’s phone beard is vastly superior to the MC-101 but the MC-707 is definitely a contender, especially for live performance.
His actual beard is probably more of a niche product but still should have a small group of dedicated followers in the marketplace.

9 Likes

The forum has been a bit dead for a few days, now I know why.

R.I.P Illusory beard.

3 Likes

:cry:

1 Like

SNAP…Thanks for destroying the illusion! But I kinda liked having a garden gnome in the fold…now it’s just a regular Craig…:roll_eyes:

And now I know he’s not a wizard I can say what I really think without fear of being turned into “something unatural”

Raincoat on… What’s the point of keeping products that are slightly different seperate? when everyone ends up comparing the original unit to the Behringer clone anyway…? JOKE…

No but seriously comparing specs is what we do, its in our nature as synth enthusiasts. …especially if we haven’t yet made a purchase and are interested in a bit of gear, I have found many nuggets of gold sifting through the random thoughts that pop into this communities heads because they want to compare apples to oranges…

The MPC threads are a great example of this, there I can mine data on the differences between the MPCs, the OT, even black box and squid…all with no bias or sales motive (to a degree), and all written in a semi respectfull yet entertaining tone, by community members who share common interests and passions.

I could watch Nick Batt for hours, as he rips through the positives and negatives of any gear, usually speaking his mind about short comings, honestly, and raising poorly considered features etc etc…but you won’t find he or any other reviewer have the kind of time or resources to explore comparisons between everything that reminds them of said unit…or enough question and answer time to explore the usually organically forming, line of questioning that grows from the inquisitive intelligence of this community…with the collective time and energy they have to contribute.

Unfortunately though as synth enthusiasts, chances are we are also compelled to neatness and organization (or we wouldn’t be able to consider devices such as the OT)…so definately understand the desire for OP request, but just think that threads in these forums do organically self organise and flow into ideas never considered anywhere…ever…even though they are kept on a steady path by our wonderful overlord mods…they take on a life of thier own, with enough character to keep me interested at least.

2 Likes

Ha, I’m sorry to have disappointed you and the whole community! Huge apologies! :slight_smile:

As for the keeping things separate when they’re released, I thought I explained it very well in the original post. A better example is lumping the JU-06A in with the Jupiter X and Fantom just because they happened to be announced/released at the same time. Hence why I was saying have a separate thread for each one, then other comparison threads can be started by people who are wondering which synth or whatever to buy next. That makes so much more sense to me.

4 Likes

I think it’s only fair to everyone that you now grow the beard😆

1 Like

oh wow, my world view is shattered :roll_eyes:

1 Like