A Guide to AUTECHRE

That is super good!

its a good job i removed my reactionā€¦
hint - complete opposite opinion.

well thats not really removing thenā€¦is it. the more noble thing to have done would have to have just kept it the way it was. now youā€™ve redone what you initially did in a back handed kinda of way.

fortunately for usā€¦our tastes are our own. i think this track is TITS!

i wager if you gave it a few runs, rather than todays hit and run sampling of a tune style of listening [not saying thats what YOU do]ā€¦you may uncover shit that pulls you in. reading the forumā€¦it seems like that happens a lot. people getting into exai nowā€¦after not really liking it when it came out.
give it timeā€¦allow it to fermentā€¦one listen of anything really isnt a fair shake.

i can get over the constant changes in space in this track. love it.

I do respect what they do , but my initial response wasnā€™t adding anything to my previous comments in this thread.

The track had tiny snippets that I liked but it then returned to clattery fm randomness , leaving me feel disappointed. I do presume theyā€™re more popular / influential now than theyā€™ve ever been and I canā€™t fault them for pushing further with their own unique sound.

It feels a bit weird for Autechre to be releasing something that isnā€™t going to take a week to listen to.
I think their recent stuff works best when listened to in long stretches. A 10 minute track on its own feels a bit odd. If this was in the middle of one of the NTS sessions I think it would sit better.
Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a leftover they had from the NTS stuff rather than a whole new thing, perhaps makes it a bit disappointing as they donā€™t often repeat themselves sonically.

Having said all of that, I like it.

hmm. I have a different perceiption. Exai, Elsequ, Ae live and NTS are closely related sonically. I loved it first, but now I have the feeling they repeat themselves a bit. Itā€™s crazy good of course, but it gets hard for me to distinguish all this material.
I guess their tracks are based on the same Max Patch since Exai, just developing it further and further. Could be completely wrong of course

2 Likes

Apparently it appeared in the 2016 live sets, I think? According to someone on watmm anyway. I need to revisit thoseā€¦

My impression is that itā€™s not the same patch, but a slow evolution of similar patching concepts and timbral explorations. So, to your point, how ā€˜based onā€™ is each patch iteration? Thatā€™s what fascinates me.

I do agree with @Fin25 that itā€™s strange just hearing a single Autechre track on an island though. I havenā€™t sorted my feelings about their insane amount of, admittedly brilliant, content theyā€™ve released over the last few years. I love it but itā€™s just so much and maybe too much.

AE fan signing off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Currently listeneing to ā€œLive Grafenhainichen 17.07.2015ā€ā€¦
I am surprised to find the sound not that hermetic. Itā€™s actually a very interesting music to listen to, I love it !

2 Likes

I have a cycle that happens without fail for AE stuff. Basically it is:

10 Get new album and enjoy it quite a bit
20 Wait a bit
30 Next album comes out, which I enjoy
40 Go back and listen to the previous album and get blown away by how amazing it is
50 GOTO10

So, I probably need to go back and listen to Grafenhainchen again. I did enjoy the first batch of Live15 sets at the time and then when they released the North American Live15 sets having been distracted by Elseq and NTS it was just glorious. It was definitely much more digestable. So, itā€™ll be interesting to see the differences between the european and american tours.

I still live in hope that the livesets from 2016 will be made available. The gig at the old Granada Studios in Manc was amazing.

1 Like

I would like THIS live set. And this track specifically.
Too shoooooooort :frowning:

4 Likes

Yepā€¦ Fantastic. the sound was amazing.

The one at the Music Box in 2001 was fairly epic! full on timbral assault ā€¦ loads of magicmushies being pushed about that night.
what a gorgeous episode.

So I just picked up session 3 on vinyl and Iā€™m further shocked how good the thing sounds : unreal this came out of Max. It sounds about as warm and welcoming as like a record from the 70s.

2 Likes

my gf got me the all the NTS Sessions vinyls for christmas :ā€™)

5 Likes

You sir, are a very :four_leaf_clover: guy. She is a keeper :grin:

2 Likes

Favourites areā€¦
1993 oscillate in Birmingham
1996 flex in Vienna

All the new ones are great two. But those two above are standout for me!

Oscillate

Flex

BONUSā€¦

3 Likes

Quality stuff, amazing

iā€™m back on my autechre kickā€¦ itā€™s a cycle for me, this time itā€™s my digitakt and retrigs and conditional trigs getting me out of my usual writing process.

i am really digging Exai, and iā€™m also going through the rest of their more recent stuff. my introduction to them was Confield, which i own on vinyl. it also makes me want to re-learn Max/MSP, but i doubt thatā€™ll actually happen :smiley:

1 Like

jatevee c and deco loc are all time bangers for me, a straight rush of adrenaline every time

For me Envane is the most perfect Autechre recording and the most true to their hip hop roots. I will (and never have) grown tired of it :yellow_heart:

3 Likes