A good sample file randomizer

The ‘randomly select x files from the dropped files feature’ is the one you inspired me to add :slight_smile: - I’ve just pushed out v1.4.2 that includes this to the main url - look to the DigiChain text in the bottom right to confirm the version reads 1.4.2 (or latest).

1 Like

You are cool.

2 Likes

Ok, I finally got around to using digichain to randomize my existing OT chains. After successfully slicing them, I ended up with 3200 slices and successfully randomized their order. When attempting to make chains of these slices, my laptop (or file-scanning software) claims there is a potential virus with the files and won’t make the chain for me. I’ve tried several varied iterations to get it to work with different settings. Any advice out there. My samples files never had any virus before.

Not sure what’s going on there, DigiChain is a web app, and so has read-only access to the samples dropped onto it, so those are never modified.

The zip file being generated contains only the audio files and the accompanying .ot files.

What is the anti-virus software being used?

Feel free to look at the source code for DigiChain on GitHub, where it is also served from, there’s nothing nefarious in there, it’s all free and open source.

1 Like

I think it is called “winzip”. I’m not even sure why I agreed to have it. I got suckered into thinking I needed it and just clicked “ok” when offered after not touching my laptop for over a year. I wonder if I could just delete it somewhere in my apps or settings. My music setup is all hardware for this very reason. I suck with computers.

So DigiChain is generating the zip file containing the created chains, and you are just having an issue opening it?

It sounds like WinZip doesn’t like the .ot files in the zip (as these are binary files and ones that it doesn’t know how to read).

You could try creating a zip file of audio files and .ot files directly from the ones on your Octatrack and then open that zip with winzip to verify?

Windows and macOS don’t need any additional software to create/extract zip files, it’s functionality built-in.

You can also verify the zip is virus free with an actual virus scanner app, or with an online tool like Internxt – Free Online File Virus Scanner

I’d like to suggest that your computer security level is set too high for a file which has never been downloaded. Something similar happens to me. Windows identifies the number of times a file has been downloaded as well as the security? of the source and judges it safe if it has been downloaded X amount of times with no complaints or complications. When a file has never been downloaded, or seldom downloaded, I often get a warning that this has been identified as a potential threat and am I “REAALLLLY sure I want to download it?”, then I have to jump through about 4 hoops to confirm this.

So if you go into your download dropdown at the top of the browser and it says something like “can’t be downloaded securely”, then you click on the three dots to the right you get this:

clicking “keep” yields this:

These are the microsoft precautions that indicate a file has been seldom downloaded and is coming from something it does not judge to be 100% secure. At that point, it’s at your discretion to judge whether you want the file or not, it is not explicitly saying “this file is compromised”.

If you’ve hit another roadblock then I don’t know, disregard this info immediately I suppose.

Thank you, friends.

1 Like