A confusing issue with auto-change

Ha! Yesterday, I was going to suggest reloading the projects on all machines/rebooting them - but then I didn’t^^

I really have to remember to put a sign on the wall behind my desk “In case of weird behaviour, don’t fiddle around with Elektron machines for hours, just reload project/reboot”

1 Like

Was driving me crackers. Still, for now at least, the house of cards stands.

1 Like

what I have just realised is that this shouldnt be right! the track in question is the the one that essentially runs for 8 bars (4 sequential chords, changing after every 2 bars), so it should be set as:

64/64 master:128 1/2x

…shouldnt it?!

EDIT oh, but hold on…If it’s receiving a 128 on 1/2x from the Octa, is it the A4 division relating to that number as it’s a slave device? would it run differently on its own?

I am not at home at the minute, but this is madness.

A4 wouldn’t run differently if not slaved to OT.
1/2x just means it’s running half speed of the set BPM.
No matter if there’s a clock the A4 syncs to or if it’s the A4’s own clock.
If you set the tempo on OT and A4 to the same BPM.

It just takes double the time to finish one loop cycle compared to 1x, in this case you basically have a 8 bars loop.

Those are just tempo multipliers of the same tempo/clock.

… which then means it’s not behaving as it should, as being set to 64/64, 128, 1x is running a 64 step at half speed.

64 steps at 1/2x take as long as 128 steps at 1x speed, but since the A4 scales the tempo for all tracks equally (no track multipliers like the OT has, just master tempo multiplier) it’s running half of half speed - is that what you mean?

Ok, you know what^^ I’m switching on my machines and take a look. Way easier that way!

What I mean is it’s taking twice as long to progress from one step to the next as the default (like you’d expect on 64/64 1/2x speed and 128 master) when it’s actually set at 128 1x. So it’s not right! I mean, it’s working… but it shouldn’t be!)

I want it to progress at the half speed as I have a note on trig 1 of each page and want a 4 note sequence over 128 steps.

The mind boggles as to why it’s working at present.

Don’t you make things more complicated than they should be ? Apparently different scales multipliers between OT and A4 don’t work properly. Can’t you make your sequences differently?

Not really - If I want an 8 bar sequence, I have to do it this way

@Ess can you shed any light on this? Is my A4 taking its multiplier cue from my OT settings? It’s the only explanation I can come to really. Because my OT master is set at 128 1/2, the A4 is then a further division of that? So 1x on the A4 is resulting in effectively a 64/64, 128, 1/2 speed?

What about pattern chaining, arranger, 1/2 scale on all sequencers?

I’d argue that all those are more complicated solutions; I’m using it in the way that it’s supposed to work - it’s only the A4 causing the issue sadly.

I prefer working solutions. :slight_smile:

As I say, it’s working now… it’s just not clear why!

Also, half scale on all would mean a loss of resolution that wouldn’t be sufficient.

Sorry I don’t get it.

Ha! It’s all there.

Could you sum up?
What is the issue?
How did you make it work?

2 Likes

Not on OT, as it has per track settings.

I just made a test with OT and A4.

• Both with Master 16/16 length, 1/2
  • OT tracks with 32/32 1/1
  • A4 tracks with 16/16
  • A4 with sequential pattern change

Pattern changes seems to work like a charm! :slight_smile:
Not sure if that works with DN. :content:

Edit : works also with

• Both with Master 64/64 length, 1/2
  • OT tracks with 64/64 1/1
  • A4 tracks with 64/64
  • A4 with sequential pattern change

Isn’t that because you’re still under the 64 step limit?

Just tried that before your post, edited. :wink: