99% Rytm song

January’s song. Trying to do about one per month for this side project - Atlantic Trace. Dub Techno-ish electronic. The sound I’m attempting is perhaps if Rhythm & Sound and Boards of Canada had a baby and raised it in a commune out in the country, but near the ocean? :grin:

This is the first time where I’ve used just the Rytm in composing a song. Usually it sees a lot of use for drums, sure, but usually I compose other synth parts in Ableton. This song was made on the couch, using just the Rytm. Still trying to get comfortable using hardware sequencing to compose instead of a DAW timeline.

Then I recorded audio into Ableton. Just stereo outs, no OverBridge. So what you hear is all Rytm on the main track with two additional tracks added in Ableton. The first is just a simple extra clap with spring reverb. The second is a synth solo (MS20 layered with JX-03) that comes in around 2:18.

I used BD Plastic for the other melodic parts. I used some chord samples for the stabs, made with TAL Sampler, Diva, JX-03, etc… I really enjoyed using Rytm’s Performance mode to actively tweak delay/reverb/filter on the chord samples. The Rytm is very Dub-Techno-capable I would say.

Thanks for listening. Any feedback is always appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/atlantictrace/invisible-v2

3 Likes

I enjoyed this… :slight_smile:

Thanks, Knobs. Truly appreciate the comment. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen a couple of people do live sets using just the Rytm and have been impressed. This is another good example of what’s possible using just one black box and some imagination . . . OK, and a couple of extra bits and pieces in Ableton, but whatever! Very nice dubby track!

Hi, Duplex. Thanks very much! I appreciate the nice comment! I think one black box is all my brain can handle. That Rytm is packed with power enough for me. Yeah, technically I guess I could have done at least that extra clap on the Rytm but it was an afterthought, after recording, and I didn’t feel like going back and doing it over. Lazy maybe. The solo around the middle I guess is the only thing I couldn’t have done on the Rytm. Still quite a capable box. Anyways, thanks for listening!

nice

Thank you, Kirlian! :grin: