80s New Wave / Synth Pop / Post Punk / EBM sounds

I am looking for some 80’s new wave packs for the Digitone with sounds like:

Visage - Fade To Grey
Front 242 -> basslines
JD - Love will tear us apart
Gary Numan - Cars , are friends electric …

ect

I know some of those are just standard subtractive synthesis and not FM but is there already a sample pack for 80’s sounds somewhere that comes near?

5 Likes

I’d like to get my hands on this sound pack as well😊

Damn. Sounds like I need to buy a Digitone so I can make this sound pack…

:wink:

5 Likes

So, you’d be surprised (or maybe not; I don’t know) to know that many, many of Front 242’s iconic sounds are FM. The early stuff is definitely analog (Yamaha CS-40m), but yes, they were prolific users of the Yamaha FM synths in the post-Geography years.

Although I don’t do EBM myself, I have an obsession with those sounds, so there are a few that appear in my 'tone soundpack, “(d)tones.”

I’m sure I could do another 128 sounds emulating Headhunter, Masterhit, or whatever, but you can get pretty far on your own, once you dig into the machine. Always happy to help if you have specific questions.

3 Likes

Would be great so i have already something to start with. In the default patches that comes with the DN, there are already some that goes in that direction. What about 80s strings/pads?

GN … use a Phaser on a string pad.
JD … use a Reverb on a square wave.
F242 … once got a similar bass tone while messing with an FM Tom.
Visage … ??? ARPOdyssey? CS80?

Been waiting patiently for an industrial sound pack… One with aggressive percussive sounds and growling synths…

1 Like

Blue monday: the synth part at the end?

1 Like

Prophet-5

(Bass was The Source)