707 and 727 kits for the Aira TR-8!

[quote="“wascal”"]

Are they paying you commission?[/quote]
No mate, they’re not :slight_smile:
Elektron don’t pay me commission either to do my tutorial videos on the OT, A4 and AR, which seem to have a reasonable amount of success, and make users happy and possibly inspired.
I do this stuff because I’m enthusiastic about electronic music, and because I’m a geek who loves blinking lights :slight_smile:
I’m as excited and passionate about the Roland gear as I am about the Elektron gear, or the DSI gear. Or any brand really.

Anything interesting to add to this thread ? :slight_smile:

By the way, we’re in the “Other Gear” section :

Other Gear
Discuss all non-Elektron gear in this forum.

Cheers !

damn those dated sounds.

Just like a stereo miked Steinway grand, the chorused Fender Rhodes & an overdriven Marshall + Les Paul … dated dated dated.

Can’t believe Gretsch are still making those snare drums…

Remember : this is electronic music & we must be totally cutting edge & cleverly reinventing the wheel on every track

don’t get me started on string quartets. They’ve been knocking that sound out for centuries. yawn.

@xmit: made my day!

Elektron don’t pay me commission either to do my tutorial videos on the OT, A4 and AR, which seem to have a reasonable amount of success, and make users happy and possibly inspired.
I do this stuff because I’m enthusiastic about electronic music, and because I’m a geek who loves blinking lights :slight_smile:
I’m as excited and passionate about the Roland gear as I am about the Elektron gear, or the DSI gear. Or any brand really.

Other Gear

Cheers !
[/quote]
you never heard the saying
“dont do something you do well for free”?

as stated, if they add the 78/606 sounds im in, then it becomes a good quick source of all those sounds
even then, theres not much new for me.
i’m driven to make and want to hear new drum sounds, define something of this age 2015,
not the sound of 1982 or 4 or 5, or 94,5,6 been there twice, owned them all multiple times!

Its not like we’re lacking for great (if a little buggy) new drum machines.

More seriously: electronic music is rich with history of different styles, machines and unique sounds associated with certain eras and therefor full of nostalgia, emotions etc…

If one steps away from a pure tech approach and looks on how, when and why certain gear was used one can actually draw a lot of inspiration from this.

Music, Art or any cultural performance is based on personal histories and awareness of what came before. Nothing comes out of thin air. Some people tend to believe, if their way to create synthesised music is most complicated and advanced, it will somehow make their musical efforts more divine.

Respect the tech and respect the history, stay happy.

No I haven’t !

What a sad world we’d live in if everyone followed this saying.

Maybe that’s why Roland are charging for their sounds. They do it well, so they won’t do it for free :wink:

1 Like

Must have been a liberal who said that.

Must have been a liberal who said that.[/quote]
Nice try, chum, but it was The Joker from “The Dark Knight”.

@Snowcrash. As a Neal Stephenson reader you should know better than to make snide political comments in a tech forum.

Other Gear

Cheers !
[/quote]
I was just kidding :wink:
I found your tutorials very helpful when I was starting out with the Elektrons btw, cheers!

Just started reading this today. So far, so good, the whole timed pizza delivery speed race in the first couple of chapters is right down my alley! Much prefer it to Neuromancer.

Apples vs. Oranges.
Though if we are going off topic, “The Diamond Age” is his best, IMO…

No I haven’t !

What a sad world we’d live in if everyone followed this saying.

Maybe that’s why Roland are charging for their sounds. They do it well, so they won’t do it for free :wink:

[/quote]
Well actually i dont really know if you do it well, i havent seen anything you’ve done, just going on others. :+1:

When i started in this game i found someone to teach me about synths, specifically the MS-20,
It was my first synth and didnt know squat, the MS-20 was an unfathomable alien space ship to me, who could?

Once a week for 3 or 4 months, he was very good at passing his knowledge on and deserved to be paid.
It was well worth it for me, gave me a real kick start and put me well ahead of my friends
who also got into it at the same time.
Lead to quite reasonable success.

So paying for something doesnt seem quite so sad to me.
As you would know, when you pay for something you take it more seriously and expect results.

BTW At the time I also got the Roland series on synths and recording, and read then back to front, front to back,
had to pay for them too. :astonished: :slight_smile:

Apples vs. Oranges.
Though if we are going off topic, “The Diamond Age” is his best, IMO…

The Diamond Age is incredible…

I’m often surprised no-one’s had a crack at a film adaptation, but at the same time I’m sort of glad they haven’t.

i like. i’ll buy. :slight_smile:

First quick look at the 7X7-TR8 expansion. More demos very shortly.

Sorry, yet again, short off topic buzz:

Well the Joker was quite the radical liberal, wasn’t he? cough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry, I don’t really see what the one has to do with the other. I chose that nick for discussion boards over a decade ago and it somehow got stuck, so I’m not necessarily a huge advocate of Stephenson’s recent publications which I’m hardly aware of. Care to elaborate? Anyway, I agree that a tech board is not necessarily the best place to get political. My apologies.

Yes, their style is very different. To me Neuromancer is in a different league, although the pace in Snowcrash is unmatched. I can see why someone prefers the entertaining slack of Stephenson’s earlier novels over Gibson’s sometimes tiring elaborate scenic ingenuities.

Besides that, I can only strongly recommend to read Bruce Sterling. Holy Fire, Islands in the Net, Schismatrix, The Difference Engine (together with Gibson)…

Well the Joker was quite the radical liberal, wasn’t he? cough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry, I don’t really see what the one has to do with the other. I chose that nick for discussion boards over a decade ago and it somehow got stuck, so I’m not necessarily a huge advocate of Stephenson’s recent publications which I’m hardly aware of. Care to elaborate? Anyway, I agree that a tech board is not necessarily the best place to get political. My apologies.

Yes, their style is very different. To me Neuromancer is in a different league, although the pace in Snowcrash is unmatched. I can see why someone prefers the entertaining slack of Stephenson’s earlier novels over Gibson’s sometimes tiring elaborate scenic ingenuities.

Besides that, I can only strongly recommend to read Bruce Sterling. Holy Fire, Islands in the Net, Schismatrix, The Difference Engine (together with Gibson)…[/quote]
Well, i admit i had a bit of a hard time getting through the gun-nut parts of Reamde…
Felt a bit disappointed by Stephenson’s apparent sympathies for the NRA in that plot.
I still consider him a ‘liberal’ (though the european and american colloquial use of the word differs substantially), so i was a bit taken aback by your negative (?) use of the word. Whatever… :slight_smile: // politics off.
Agreed, Sterling’s Holy Fire stuck with me as a pretty good one, though i must have read it more than 10 years ago.

** maybe we should have a little cyberpunk thread somewhere? I find the genre to be a great source of track names :wink:

Not a huge fan of this off topic bullshit. Next time, just PM each other, or something…