707 and 727 kits for the Aira TR-8!

Its more like the 99 euro sample update for the blofeld desktop.

yep but add 606 and the 78 then im in, could careless about some 707/727 sounds,

hardly iconic and i had both when they were new!

does anyone know if they are samples or modelling samples??? which just seems wtf

I think everyone acting emotional over a bit of harmless Roland ribbing from Dataline is ridiculous lol. Since I donā€™t work for Elektron, is it OK for me to ask out of curiosity how those who get along so well with the TR8 arenā€™t infuriated by the 16 pattern limit? They can keep adding new ā€œmodelledā€ samples of 909 sounds till the cows come home, but not being able to save/recall patterns in an efficient manner without a computer makes the TR8 seem like a giant dongle.

I never used their sequencer. I used the OTā€™s midi sequencer. I never had any intention of using Rolandā€™s. Problem solved. Happy customer.

Itā€™s not just this time, and itā€™s not just with Roland. Anyways, the man is entitled to his snide remarks, Iā€™m just pointing out that heā€™s Elektronā€™s spokesperson, and as such, will certainly undergo much scrutiny. Thatā€™s all. Donā€™t dish it if you canā€™t take it kind of thing.

Back to your question : I love the TR8 because itā€™s been conceived as a pure performance machine. There is no menu, no digging, no setup per say (aside from maybe panning and individual gain levels).

I am always changing the pattern iā€™m working on, and I record them in my DAW. A simple example would be to record a snare drum build up that starts with a few snare hits and no decay, builds up to a full 16th notes snare roll with long decay, then bring up the accent knob and start building an accent pattern.

I donā€™t see the 16 pattern limit as crippling, because Iā€™m always recording in my DAW. I rarely save patterns on the TR8, the AR, the Tempest, the TB3, the A4, or any other toy I have.

Having a few patterns available encourages you to change and work on them more.

Now I understand that you may want to perform live with the TR8 and already have patterns available to switch between. In that case, I am convinced that 16 patterns are more than enough from a drum machine that does just one thing : drums.

How many kick patterns does one need for the music that this box was designed for ? And how limiting is it to go to a pattern and remove / add a few trigs ? To me it isnā€™t.

Now, I am not demeaning your complaint. I understand fully well that everyone has different ways of working (I teach Elektron gear so much that I know there are as many ways to use it as there are users).

If you feel strongly about this decision from Roland, I suggest you go to the Roland forums and discuss your needs there, you may find a lot of users that may agree with you, and maybe even offer ways to deal with this limitation. Or maybe just a place to vent about your frustrations regarding this, and other Roland products.

Cheers !

Haha, lots of gear that I own does not have any memories, and yet still remains perfectly fun, musical and useful.

But hey we all work with different gear and in different ways, nothing is right or wrong, just personal preferences.

Regards the shots at other companies, I did not really see anyone getting ā€œemotionalā€?

But it is a bit daft, imagine if a Korg rep posted on their forum that the Volca sample was a 10th the cost of the Octatrack yet could play *2 more voices at a time! They are different things with different uses, different prices, different features, and different people might buy either, neither or both.

• Which in theory it can, except each voice is mono, and 1 exclusive pair so technically 9 voices.

This thread reminded me to find some free 727 samples.
So, hereā€™s a link if anybody wants to check this out.

http://www.wiretotheear.com/2008/08/10/free-roland-tr-727-samples-from-kent-williams/

Sorry about my comment coming out too harsh and points taken, thanks!

I think the TR8 is a good machine, especially how it replicates the original sounds - however I just do not agree with paying for OS upgrades as the machine is already bought. The reason for this negativity would be my memory of buying the another OS upgrade in the past and feeling totally ripped off. But thats just meā€¦ of course, others will like and purchase such upgrades.

I mean for example OP1, monotribe and some gear- they had tremendous upgrades since launch, but I did not pay anything. Sure its very different circumstances, business, styles etcā€¦ But that is the style I personally really dig.

Itā€™s not an upgrade, itā€™s basically a sample pack. The actual OS update, released yesterday, is free.

Roland suck balls and should cop all sorts of criticism and itā€™s always fun to pay out on Roland
tb3 is awful for instance

yep but add 606 and the 78 then im in, could careless about some 707/727 sounds,

hardly iconic and i had both when they were new!

does anyone know if they are samples or modelling samples??? which just seems wtf

[/quote]
A bit of both. The sampled sounds are samples from the original machineā€™s ROMs, which are followed by a modelling stage, which tries to model the analog parts of the signal chain, such as the VCA.

Itā€™s not an OS upgrade, itā€™s an expansion.

It adds sounds to the machine.

Elektron charge for sample packs, but Roland canā€™t ?

http://www.elektron.se/content/straight-808

Not sure I understand in relation to the Tr8 here, the whole Aira line received a system wide 1.1 update, adding new functionality to the machines as a free downloadable OS upgrade some time ago.
They are now offering upgraded sounds as paid downloads the same way as Elektron and many companies do (Ableton et al)
Why is this any different? yeah, I think the new sounds upgrade is a bit expensive, but ultimately this is exactly the same model that Elektron employs, whats the big deal here?

whaaaaat ? 75 euros , haha dont make me laugh man . Really expensive for a bunch of vintage drum samples. Can we buy among all ?

I think there is a difference. I may have misunderstood but the way I see it is this:

You can upload any sample you want into the Rytm. But on the TR8 you can not. So, this upgrade / expansion is like adding new types of synthesis / sounds in to the TR8. I see the TR8 upgrade / expansion similar to the Rytmā€™s FM machines upgrade / expansion. Or OP1ā€™s new sequencer and synth modes, etc - not like a sample pack at all.

The sample packs offered on the elektron.se are for people who want the complete package for a certain set of samples and access them quickly. Alternatively, you can download 808 / 909 / whatever sounds of the net, trim, convert and upload it to your Rytm - the result will be same but without the presets you get with the sample packs and you will spend time sorting out the samples.

:heart:

Mmmmā€¦ I donā€™t know what to make of this. My opinion - Roland never made it clear that there would be paid for expansions to the TR8. They did however, boast that there would be upcoming features and sounds added over the coming months and years.

I donā€™t have an issue with paying for sound expansions (though 75 euros is a bit steep in my opinion) when that is made clear from the outset. Call it naivety, but if I had bought a TR8 I would have had an expectation from Roland to deliver ā€œexpansionsā€ and O/S updates and tweaks for free. It was the impression I got when it was launched. Only the System 1 was made clear that there would be paid for expansions.

Anyway, itā€™s not exactly something to get your knickers in a twist over at the end of the day. Itā€™s not a deal breaker for me - I still have no intention of parting cash for a TR8 but I can understand why some are a little annoyed. On the other hand, itā€™s nice to have the option to increase a machines sound set if you like. Itā€™s not like you have to buy 7X7 set.

15$ sample pack for a machine that costs around $1200- thatā€™s slightly over 1 percent. The Roland expansion is nearly 20 percent of the cost of the machine itā€™s used with.
Can you not see a difference there?

$95 AUS for 37 samplesā€¦ I say no!

Considering the same samples can be loaded for free off the net, into Ableton, with thousands more tweaking possibilities makes me think Roland take me for a foolā€¦

15$ sample pack for a machine that costs around $1200- thatā€™s slightly over 1 percent. The Roland expansion is nearly 20 percent of the cost of the machine itā€™s used with.
Can you not see a difference there?[/quote]
Thatā€™s just one pack. Of samples readily available online for free. Already trimmed and organized. Elektron have a lot more packs to sell to you, the price is irrelevant, and itā€™s not what Iā€™m talking about here. My gripe is about Elektron representatives taking digs at Roland and Korg, when they are using the exact same business model, regardless of pricing.
I started commenting on this thread because I believe that we, as a community, should show a minimum of respect for a company that has shaped the sounds we hear today. Making snide remarks at Roland while selling their signature sounds is hypocrisy at its finest, and Iā€™ll call anyone out on it. Iā€™m not here to start a flame war, but rather to remind Elektron that they are where they are today because of us, the consumers, but also because of Roland, who pushed electronic music into unchartered territories, maybe unknowingly, but definitely.
Iā€™m not here to talk semantics or maths, but to express my love for all music making machines, regardless of the brand, or the people associated with that brand. I love Elektron just as much as I love Roland, or Korg, or DSI, etcā€¦ Iā€™ve never seen Roland make fun of Elektron. You know why ? Because they have much better things to do with their time.
People who find that the price for this expansion is too steep are entitled to their opinion. Some think it should be free. All opinions are valid, IF expressed in an honest, respectful way.
I, for one, am probably going to hold off on expanding the TR8 for a bit, as I have some 7x7 samples in the AR already, set up as a kit, organized and trimmed. It took me 3 minutes, and it was free. I can set up my own scenes, the way I like them, for the kind of music I make, and I find this rewarding.
My intention was never to create animosity on the forum, on the contrary, Iā€™d like people to be nicer. Elektron should lead by example, and participate in a constructive, respectful and positive manner. Anything less doesnā€™t reflect well on their company.

Cheers !

1 Like

No complaints here. I bought my TR8 used and even with buying this expansion, itā€™s still below cost of a New In Box unit. Personally, I believe in investing towards tools you use regularly and despite owning a RYTM, I still use the TR8 for hats and snares.

Now if only Roland offered the TR8 in all black instead of this weird/gaudy green crap, Iā€™d be one happy camper lol.