600 bpm!

very cool, I applaud your explorative mind! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It may not be great to melodies and tunes but for making unique glitchy things it could be fun

On the tr8 I often run it full speed / slowest it’ll go and engage scooper , it’ll make weird noises too.
Add delay , reverb , mangle a few knobs and it might surprise people as it glitches the fx etc all together.

I’m not at my DT now, but when I get home I want to try slicing this with a square wave LFO (on samp tune or samp volume). That will add another “note” since the LFO can do some low-fi FM/RM.

If that works (and is audible) I want to record some automation of the LFO rate to hear the syncing change.

Chances are that it will be a mess of dissonance :blush: but I find that there’s sometimes a sweet spot in that dissonance that you’ve never heard before.

1 Like

You know, I bet there’s a way to invent your own waveforms with your method here.

I could be way off, but I think in theory- you could have a noise sample trigger once and then put trigless trigs adjusting the volume to alter the shape.

I THINK! if you play it fast enough that should make a waveform?

2 Likes

Yes - I think this will work (kind of). The BPM is cutting everything into small slices, but they are much longer than a single cycle, so you should be able to inject different tones/sounds. I would be surprised if a sound lock will work at this pace, and if so my hat is off to Elektron :grin:

If I’m doing my math right, 600 bpm comes out to 40hz for normal trigs, and with 1/80 retrigs it goes up to 200hz. I have no idea if that’s what really going on, but you can definitely hear notes forming.

As you pointed out, you can loop samples to play this fast no problem. It should sound the same if you take a kick and loop it at 40hz.

I also want to say that I apologize to any Elektron engineers (if they read this and are shaking their heads). I’m fully aware this is NOT the intended use of scale by track.

2 Likes

I put a small vocal clip through this, just playing around… this is all 1/48 retrigs and manually turning the tune and samp start knobs.

12 Likes

AWESOME! You mentalist mastermind…

1 Like

And in therory if you duplicate the track and sound and copy it to the next track, change the sound of the second track, ans switch it to high pass…then by using ctrl all on the filter you morph between the 2 “OSCILATORS” smoothly like a wavetable…maybe…

3 Likes

This sounds sick! Resample away!

1 Like

nice stress testing work :slight_smile:

I think they would be delighted to see that users are finding ways of using their creation which wasn’t nescessarily intended. I would be.

7 Likes

One more…

This is a single audio track from the DT doing a resonant sweep using the technique I described above.

It’s straight out of the DT mains, using it’s internal effects.

Not bad for a drum computer :laughing: (I used 2 tracks for this one)

11 Likes

It’s like it’s saying “Oowwwwwww, please stop… stop it, stop that…”
Beautiful.

1 Like

OK just discovered something significant worth sharing…

Funny how I didn’t even know how to use this stuff Digitakt 1.11 : Bug reports and that limit turned out to help me :slight_smile:

As I added more and more tracks, I found that indeed the DT eventually got angry with me, and I hit a few exception errors. But, by limiting the tracks to 2 trigs, I have lots of head room again.

So if anyone out there is also exploring this, one way to get more bandwidth (and stability) is to use a short pattern length.

Best regards,

Gino

4 Likes

lol, you managed to crash it? Nice stress testing! I need to try this trick out on the OT MK2. IIRC it’s the only elektron box without a plock limit so will be interesting so see whether or not it balks at this sort of tomfoolery.

Maybe like this… :grin:

I do need to stop, but it’s too fun!

9 Likes

“Drum Computer” confirmed

That is creepy stuff LOL

This is amazing.
I’m going to steal this technique and do a much worse job of it.

4 Likes

Going the other way,
30bpm 64 1/8 1:8, gives us a maximum beat interval of

34mins 8sec

6 Likes

OK - I just found something seriously crazy.

Ryan had a good idea above which was to use lock trigs to mess with a running sample. So I decided to explore that.

I used a sample of Cenk demoing the Digitakt, because he’s fantastic (a small tribute of sorts :slight_smile: ).

I set my sample mangling to this layout (blue is regular trig, and yellow is a lock trig):

I removed all effects, so you can hear more of the details of what’s going on. The first part (28 secs) is the normal demo, and the later part is me changing the tune of the lock trigs while it’s playing. Note that you can hear the slices at different tuning (low for trigs 2 and 4 and high for trig 3)

Edit: Here is one with effects, and setting the lock-trigs to 50%., no manual automation just the trigs

Another thing I ran into was that by going from forward to reverse to forward (as shown in the diagram) I got a time stretching like effect. I would expect to hear backwards audio, but I can’t detect it.

For me the highlight was that while the pattern was looping I held down 2 lock trigs and changed the tune, then messed with the other trigs. IOW, you can do things like add delay on 1 “slice”, p-lock the delay to off for the other slices, etc while it’s running.

Best regards,

Gino

12 Likes